This discussion is closed.
drago di giada
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by interiority)
I don't believe she is clutching at straws. She is simply saying it is the mother's choice whether or not she carries the child.

Sure, she may love the child at first sight. She may also struggle to care for a child she never intended to have, to the detriment of her own dreams. It might harm her emotionally and physically to carry a child for nine months against her wishes, regardless of whether she plans to give the baby away. It is her choice which decision she makes. You can choose not to abort if you wish, but other people in other situations have a right to choose for themselves.
I thank you. I have said it before.. there is the case of incest.. whether it is a choice or whether the woman was raped by a realitive.. The child will be mentally ******ed.. and through no fault of its own. then there is just plain rape. To that woman carrying that child would mean seeing something that reminds her of a terrifying experience.. and when it is born.. that would be devastating to the woman.
riffraff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by drago di giada)
I thank you. I have said it before.. there is the case of incest.. whether it is a choice or whether the woman was raped by a realitive.. The child will be mentally ******ed.. and through no fault of its own. then there is just plain rape. To that woman carrying that child would mean seeing something that reminds her of a terrifying experience.. and when it is born.. that would be devastating to the woman.
ummm- an incest baby is not necessarily mentally ******ed- that's just a myth.

btw- did you know the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary? :rolleyes:
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
ummm- an incest baby is not necessarily mentally ******ed- that's just a myth.

btw- did you know the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary? :rolleyes:

"If your mother and father got a divorce would they still be brother and sister?"
gullible.. why did you look it up?
amyitfc
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
Abortion: what do you think of it? should it illegal? do you think it is right that people can now get them in the lunch time? at what point does the baby get its "life"? at conception or some other time? and has anyone had an abortion?

answers to any of these questions would intrest me immediately
(no religious views please)
everyone should do as they believe. people who are not religious or not against it do not force those who disagree to have an abortion, so those who think it is wrong should not be allowed to stop others having one. i wish people would just accept that everyone has different views on these things and stop their campaigning - its not going to make any difference to what others think or do!
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amyitfc)
everyone should do as they believe. people who are not religious or not against it do not force those who disagree to have an abortion, so those who think it is wrong should not be allowed to stop others having one. i wish people would just accept that everyone has different views on these things and stop their campaigning - its not going to make any difference to what others think or do!
What you say is, to a large extent true.

However, what you neglect to observe is that, for those who agree with abortion, a life is at stake.

Herein lies the crunch - some see it as murder, others see it as expediency to get out of a current situation that poses difficulties. Not necessarily easy to cope with those difficulties, but definitely not insurmountable either.

The decision is not an easy one for those with moral instincts.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
"If your mother and father got a divorce would they still be brother and sister?"
gullible.. why did you look it up?
now I'm just confused- from your post it seemed as if you were saying incest babies were ******ed :confused:

and yes- if your mother and father were brother and sister before they got married (generally illegal), they would still be brother and sister when they divorced.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Do you have any idea how it feels to be adopted? I bet not. I live in a small town in Western New York, most of my friends have been adopted.. There is only one thing that is stopping them from ending their own lives because of the pain that the knowledge of being given up.. Do you wish to know what that is? It is me. I work in my schools guidance office during my free period so that anyone that wishes to talk to a person their own age can come in and speak with me. Do you know how much it hurts me to see them all leave in tears, and not knowing if they will be in school the next day to talk to me again. Half the time I have anywhere from 4-8 kids spending the night here just to talk to me. And that is because they would rather be dead than be adopted.

Why don't you ask them if they'd rather they'd never been born. I don't believe many of them would say they would. I only know a few people who have been adopted, but they are all very happy.
The people you are talking to may have problems but I believe they can be overcome.

I do not believe for one second that all these people would kill themselves if you weren't there. And anyway, you couldn't possibly be a very good counsellor if you think they should have been aborted rather than adopted - how can you then persuade them that being adopted isn't so bad? That they shouldn't commit suicide?
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

This is not a valid argument. Without getting into my own personal feelings on abortion, putting your suggestion into practice would mean no laws at all.

It's like saying, "Some people think they should be allowed to kill anyone who enters their house without their permission, anyone who lies to them, anyone who cheats on them etc., so let them do that, and the people who think it is wrong to kill someone, just won't." or saying, "Some people think they are entitled to as much money as they want, from wherever they want, so they can just take it from wherever they can find it."
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I agree with you whole-heartedly. Its the person's choice whether they want to do it or not. I know someone who had an abortion, she is always sad that she did it, but she knows it was for the better because she was so young and had no way to support herself and a child. So I'm definitly pro-choice.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
now I'm just confused- from your post it seemed as if you were saying incest babies were ******ed :confused:

and yes- if your mother and father were brother and sister before they got married (generally illegal), they would still be brother and sister when they divorced.

Oh geez.. I know it was a joke... anyways. And it is true though, some incest babies can be ******ed.. most if not all DO turn out to be. And that is another point about abortion.. I have said it before.. scroll down and read it if you are curious.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Why don't you ask them if they'd rather they'd never been born. I don't believe many of them would say they would. I only know a few people who have been adopted, but they are all very happy.
The people you are talking to may have problems but I believe they can be overcome.

I do not believe for one second that all these people would kill themselves if you weren't there. And anyway, you couldn't possibly be a very good counsellor if you think they should have been aborted rather than adopted - how can you then persuade them that being adopted isn't so bad? That they shouldn't commit suicide?
I was not saying that I thought they should be aborted. I was merely saying that in THEIR opinion they would rather have been. I am there to lend a helping hand, a shoulder to cry on, and a sympathetic ear. They know this, and they come to me. Its not a thing they are required to do, but they do it because it makes them feel better.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
"Some people think they should be allowed to kill anyone who enters their house without their permission, anyone who lies to them, anyone who cheats on them etc., so let them do that, and the people who think it is wrong to kill someone, just won't."

But see here in the states if a sign is posted that says "No Trespassing," and a person goes onto that land, they CAN be shot. The sign was posted, and they disregarded it.
Sasuke!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i think that it is wrong and people who have them should not be allowed to have kids. i mean if you want sex wear a condom!!!
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vmong)
i think that it is wrong and people who have them should not be allowed to have kids. i mean if you want sex wear a condom!!!
Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.. heh...
CONTRACEPTION PEOPLE!
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vmong)

The only foolproof form of contraception is abstinence.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Oh geez.. I know it was a joke... anyways. And it is true though, some incest babies can be ******ed.. most if not all DO turn out to be. And that is another point about abortion.. I have said it before.. scroll down and read it if you are curious.
:confused: an incest baby is just the same as a normal baby- there is no greater or lesser likelihood of them being ******ed
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vmong)
and if it splits?
superman663j7
Report 17 years ago
If your going to have sex you need to protect not only yourself but your partner, guys need to wear protection ie a condom. but it also does help if the girl is on the pill. but there is also the posibilty of the condom tearing and the pill not working. so its also the guys responsibility to "pull out". but ths about abortion so I'd better start talking about that abortion can be considered many things "murder". it is a form of "legal" murder, but then again isn't hunting and fishing? killing is killing! I can't say I'm against it but I can't say I'm for it.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
i think it is all or nothing and think it should be allowed, girls who have been raped should not be forced to have the rapist child even extreme pro life groups acknowledge, that inculding the catholic church

No they don't
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by sashh)
No they don't
Thank you for responding to soeciez99 thereby raising his/her assertion that 'extreme' pro life groups and the Catholic church agree with abortion in cases of rape.

You are correct in your response - there is one thing you can complain about the Catholic church for in the case of abortion - they are CONSISTENT.

Life, whether at the beginning of, or at the end of, is deemed very precious because they believe all human life is created in the image of God.

I object to the describing of pro lifers as extreme - I consider 'anti-lifers' to be the extreme ones.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (379)
14.8%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (361)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.05%
Loneliness (218)
8.51%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.41%

Watched Threads