This discussion is closed.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes, Bigcnee, and can you tell me what's wrong with the statement? I'm looking for enlightenment rather than critisism. I know humility isn't one of your main assets by do try to share your massive intellect.
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Yes, Bigcnee, and can you tell me what's wrong with the statement? I'm looking for enlightenment rather than critisism. I know humility isn't one of your main assets by do try to share your massive intellect.
Certainly...

I'm not that keen on crosses either. If you worship as a true protestant, then you worship the one true God; GOD ALONE; and not a catholic representation of God's son on the cross.
The Cross is the preferred protestant symbol to the Crucifix (that cross with Jesus on it).
The Crucifix isn't a "Catholic representation of God's Son on the cross", it is a Christian representation. It just happened that, as part of the Reformation, Luther decided to ban the Crucifix.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Certainly...

The Cross is the preferred protestant symbol to the Crucifix (that cross with Jesus on it).
The Crucifix isn't a "Catholic representation of God's Son on the cross", it is a Christian representation. It just happened that, as part of the Reformation, Luther decided to ban the Crucifix.
So let me get this straight. Starting from the beginning;

Protestants and Catholics are both Christians (Duh!)
The cross is the crucifix minus Jesus.
The crucifix is a cross plus Jesus
The crucifix isn't used by protestants.

I think I'm right so far.

Then surely the crucifix represents God's son on the cross doesn't it? It is after all a cross with Jesus on it? How much more representitive can you get?

And surely the crucifix is a catholic representation since you rightly pointed out that the Reformation did away with crucifixes? Of course it's recognized by protestants and catholics alike but it's a catholic thing isn't it?

I think you are nitpicking for the sake of it........no change there. :rolleyes:
blissy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

I think you are nitpicking for the sake of it........no change there. :rolleyes:
Hear hear! Down with pedantry for the mere purpose of getting on up on someone.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Hear hear! Down with pedantry for the mere purpose of getting on up on someone.
I don't mind losing on the battlefield of logic and being blown clear out of the water. Really I don't. But the efforts some people will go to to score very weak points has me boggled.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Then surely the crucifix represents God's son on the cross doesn't it? It is after all a cross with Jesus on it? How much more representitive can you get?

And surely the crucifix is a catholic representation since you rightly pointed out that the Reformation did away with crucifixes? Of course it's recognized by protestants and catholics alike but it's a catholic thing isn't it?

You did actually say:

"I'm not that keen on crosses either" and then went on to talk about the Crucifix.

I'm honestly not nit-picking but picking up on inaccuracies in your post. If you claim to know "a fair amount about Catholicism" and then are inaccurate with susequent posts, then expect to be picked up on it.

In the future, I will find it hard to ignore your rather childish personal insults on my intellect.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You did actually say:

"I'm not that keen on crosses either" and then went on to talk about the Crucifix.

I'm honestly not nit-picking but picking up on inaccuracies in your post. If you claim to know "a fair amount about Catholicism" and then are inaccurate with susequent posts, then expect to be picked up on it.

In the future, I will find it hard to ignore your rather childish personal insults on my intellect.
Fair enough. I did apparently get my crosses and cruciixes confused but Jesus Christ Bignee give me a break!

I do know a "fair amount" about catholicism. Not as much as you but then again as you are an Irishman, and presumably a catholic, why should I?

As for your intellect? I'm sure you're borderline genius and feel truly humbled each and every time I read your words of wisdom. There? Better now?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
As for your intellect? I'm sure you're borderline genius and feel truly humbled each and every time I read your words of wisdom. There? Better now?
It's like you've multiplied my mood by 1/0.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It's like you've multiplied my mood by 1/0.
It's nice to have lent a hand to such worthy a cause.
drago di giada
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I know a fair amount about catholism actually. My ole lady is a catholic and she often drags me to her church on a Sunday morning.

That makes you no more of an expert than I am.. even though I am devoutly AGAINST the Catholic religion, I know a good deal about it, you didn't make a point there.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Certainly...

Presbyterian's and Baptists.... I believe Baptists.. do not use.. "In the name of The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.." We are the true religions because we do not worship idoly.. nor to we worship figures other than God.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

I am a Presbyterian, our Sanctuary does indeed have a Crucifx in it, but we, unlike Catholicism do not worship that as a divine sign. We use crosses.. and prayer.. nothing more.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by drago di giada)
That makes you no more of an expert than I am.. even though I am devoutly AGAINST the Catholic religion, I know a good deal about it, you didn't make a point there.
I didn't say I was more of an expert than you did I?
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I didn't say I was more of an expert than you did I?
No and I didn't say I was more of an expert than you. I merely said that I knew alot about it.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No and I didn't say I was more of an expert than you. I merely said that I knew alot about it.

You said

"That makes you no more of an expert than I am......."

To my mind that comment implies I was claiming to be more of an expert than you. Which I wasn't.

In addition to that, I earlier said "I know something about it" You are now saying "I know a lot about it" That looks to me like you are claiming a superior knowledge so you certainly implied that you are more of an expert than me.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I am a Presbyterian, our Sanctuary does indeed have a Crucifx in it, but we, unlike Catholicism do not worship that as a divine sign. We use crosses.. and prayer.. nothing more.
So you don't use a Crucifix, but you use a cross.... wow. Big difference.

Before you start, I'm sure I already know the lame reasons why you don't use a Crucifix, but it will probably be inconsistent bulls***.
blissy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Weren't you nitpicking about the difference earlier?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was referring to the Protestant-exagerrated difference between the two.

Personally, I'm not sure why non-Catholic Christians make such a big deal of this.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Cool sig, BTW. :rolleyes:
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Before you start, I'm sure I already know the lame reasons why you don't use a Crucifix, but it will probably be inconsistent bulls***.
What? Yesterday you went to some lengths to point out my obvious folly; getting mt crosses and crucifixes muddled; and now there's no big difference? I wish you'd make your mind up Bigcnee. :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (382)
14.84%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (285)
11.07%
Lack of purpose or motivation (363)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (120)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (156)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.47%
Financial worries (95)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.66%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (225)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (243)
9.44%

Watched Threads