This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
It's not genius, it's just funny.
Sperm is just a cell that does not develop any further.
An embryo in the right conditions will grow into a human being.
Surely you see the distinction here even if you don't see the foetus as a human being?
But if you realised just what you have to give to a foetus for growth.
i mean for god sake some of the mechanisms of implantation are synonamous with cancerous groths.
it physically invades the tissue and diverts resources.
J
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
But if you realised just what you have to give to a foetus for growth.
i mean for god sake some of the mechanisms of implantation are synonamous with cancerous groths.
it physically invades the tissue and diverts resources.
J

What's your point?
Jamie
Report 17 years ago
Indeed. So stop masturbating and go knock up a townie girl or two.
J
that sounded ruder than i meant. i just mean that likewise sperm all have potential too, just like an embryo 'under the right conditions'
J
Jamie
Report 17 years ago
What's your point?
that its not as different as you think from a sperm.
You should all take a look at nature. People get clouded by the functioning of our reproduction
J
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
If the mothers life is in significantdanger it is a completely different kettle of fish in everyones eyes.

(Original post by Bigcnee)
Abortion works on an all or nothing basis.
Well?
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
that sounded ruder than i meant. i just mean that likewise sperm all have potential too, just like an embryo 'under the right conditions'
J

That's where we disagree then. Sperm needs an egg, a whole other 13 chromosomes etc. etc. whereas all a zygote needs is to grow, admittedly with the help of the mother.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Sod all this, I'm going to bed.

Nothing people shout at each other is going to change any opinions, so tis futile to continue. This is not an admission of defeat, this is an admission of "If I don't go to bed now, I will never be able to survive through tomorrow, and will get ill again very soon."

I'd just like to ask all the men who are arguing this point, if they got pregnant (by rape, by accident or by carelessness), and knew that having the baby and having to bring it up now would seriously disrupt your life, destroy future plans you might have and force you to change everything, regardless of the psychological effects (at 19, I reckon I could cope with that bit, but the rest of it would just be earth-shattering), whether you'd still consider it the same way. Not to mention the financial implications - living on a student loan would just not be feasible.

Even if you had it adopted, you'd have to go through a full term pregnancy which in itself would disrupt your studies and your life an awful lot.

I don't know what my choice would be. But I'd definitely be open to considering abortion, and to call me a murderer cos of that would upset me rather a lot.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
That's where we disagree then. Sperm needs an egg, a whole other 13 chromosomes etc. etc. whereas all a zygote needs is to grow, admittedly with the help of the mother.
23, actually.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
23, actually.
Sorry- typo I swear!
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
23, actually.

P.S. I'm sorry if this is getting you down, but I think it's generally quite an amiable debate rather thatn full blown argument.

Also, while I don't think I myself would have an abortion, I would consider it if I was raped and am not sure what conclusion I would come to. It's such a horrible situation to think about that I don't know how I would think at that time.
I would certainly never call you or anyone else a murderer. While I have my own personal views on abortion, it is legal in England (if not where I live in N.I.) and I accept that, and don't think of these women as murderers at all. I'm sorry if I gave that impression but I don't think I did.
Jamie
Report 17 years ago
I just think you don't appreciate exactly how much help from the mother, and the price it extracts.
It is a paraste, and has mechanisms no different from a tapeworm
J
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Abortion is wrong. There are certain circumstances where it can be morally allowed e.g. rape but personally if I knew a girl was carrying my baby, there would be no way I would want to lose it, i'd wonder for the rest of my life it doing so was a mistake.
Jamie
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Abortion is wrong. There are certain circumstances where it can be morally allowed e.g. rape but personally if I knew a girl was carrying my baby, there would be no way I would want to lose it, i'd wonder for the rest of my life it doing so was a mistake.
you can't force her
J
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Well?
If operating to save the mother's life causes the death of the child, then it is not a deliberate abortion.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The abortion laws are so abused these days.... it is sickening.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
you can't force her
J
I would never be with anybody with that attitude on life.
Jamie
Report 17 years ago
I would never be with anybody with that attitude on life.
So every girl you've ever slept with, you are 100% sure that if an accident had happened, they would abadon their dreams to raise a child. (whereas you could walk out at any point)
Sure they would
J
love_4_ducks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
Abortion: what do you think of it? should it illegal? do you think it is right that people can now get them in the lunch time? at what point does the baby get its "life"? at conception or some other time? and has anyone had an abortion?

answers to any of these questions would intrest me immediately
(no religious views please)

i dont think ti should be illegal, just only avalible to people who have the consent of 2 doctors. id otn think its right that anyone can walk off thew streets and get one done
*Riz*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by love_4_ducks)
i dont think ti should be illegal, just only avalible to people who have the consent of 2 doctors. id otn think its right that anyone can walk off thew streets and get one done
Isn't that supposed to happen now, consent from 2 docters before an abortion goes ahead?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
Isn't that supposed to happen now, consent from 2 docters before an abortion goes ahead?
It's supposed to....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads