The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kezziewez
Yeah, I did that essay. I quite liked it, actually. I was just pinpointing various bits of duality. What text did you do it on?

I did it on L'avare by Moliere. I sort of wished I'd done it on l'etranger instead because we studied both but I decided to just revise for one of them because my essays had been stronger on l'avare. The problem with l'avare was that the main character (and basically the centre of the whole story) is the opposite of a hero so you couldn't really write about him. I think Meursault from L'etranger would have actually been perfect but, eh. not much I can do now. I ended up writing about Cleante who I didn't know much about and had like one quote from but I sort of wiggled some BS into it.

What question did you do for the first essay?
Reply 3761
If any of you are Welsh and studying Spanish I found this lovely video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uxpo776TBWQ

:biggrin:
So how are we all feeling? :smile:
Original post by Deceiver

Worried about missing my offer (especially doing all language A-levels and with the subjective nature of the marking) :s-smilie: Anyone else?

Really nervous, I don't think I got what I needed :/
I'm terrified, I think I may have severely ****ed up my French...
Terrified, the Spanish exam was so much different to how I expected I'm really scared it went bad! :frown:

Really nervous :frown: I already have BBBB from retakes but I need ABB to get into my first choice.
Original post by VickyDoodle
Terrified, the Spanish exam was so much different to how I expected I'm really scared it went bad! :frown:

I unexpectedly did really badly on my French oral last year (wasn't just me, the examiners were very harsh) and I'm worried it's going to happen again D:
Original post by rainbow.panda
I unexpectedly did really badly on my French oral last year (wasn't just me, the examiners were very harsh) and I'm worried it's going to happen again D:

I get what you mean, I bombed my essay last year. :frown: So scary!
Original post by xfearless
Really nervous, I don't think I got what I needed :/

same. Worked out I needed 105 UMS on the last paper to get an A (assuming I got 170/200 on my AS resits). Got that dead on on the 2011 June paper. Needed 2 more raw marks on the 2010 paper (and this one was done with sod all revision). HAVE NOT done that well on the actual one. My translations both ways were awful. My essay wasn't one of my best either :/. I just panicked so much and couldnt calm down. I just hope my A2 speaking was alright.

I /should/ have got the B I need to meet my offer, but I really wanted the A, in a 'I told you I was going to uni to do german'/ beating my original predicted grade by 2 sort of a way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by .snowflake.
same. Worked out I needed 105 UMS on the last paper to get an A (assuming I got 170/200 on my AS resits). Got that dead on on the 2011 June paper. Needed 2 more raw marks on the 2010 paper (and this one was done with sod all revision). HAVE NOT done that well on the actual one. My translations both ways were awful. My essay wasn't one of my best either :/. I just panicked so much and couldnt calm down. I just hope my A2 speaking was alright.

I /should/ have got the B I need to meet my offer, but I really wanted the A, in a 'I told you I was going to uni to do german'/ beating my original predicted grade by 2 sort of a way.

I know that if I get 40UMS in my oral exam then I need a solid B in my other paper to get an A, but I don't think that was the case, and I need an A to get into my firm. My English to Spanish translations I feel were just really really poor :frown: and my Spanish to English wasn't much better. I really panicked in my essay as well and just wrote without thinking about tenses and grammar and stuff.

I know what you mean that you really wanted an A, because I'm like that with some of my other subjects.
Good luck with your results though :smile:
I know that if I get 40UMS in my oral exam then I need a solid B in my other paper to get an A, but I don't think that was the case, and I need an A to get into my firm. My English to Spanish translations I feel were just really really poor :frown: and my Spanish to English wasn't much better. I really panicked in my essay as well and just wrote without thinking about tenses and grammar and stuff.

I know what you mean that you really wanted an A, because I'm like that with some of my other subjects.
Good luck with your results though :smile:

I assumed I'd only get 40UMS on the A2 speaking, which is only sliightly better than what i got at AS, the first time (37). I hope it went better than that! We did get the conditional in, with the debate and some other lovely stuff when we spoke about the history topic. I DID sound reasonably confident with my A2 recording. Sounded terrorfied on my AS resit one, not helped by the fact the mic was so far away from me.

My translations from english to german were horrific. I REALLY wanted a passive, because i'd done loads of revision on them, and could identify and do them in german quite easy. Didnt get one. We did get the future passive in the german - english one, which I did spot (because it makes me feel like someones tied my shoelaces together), and translate correctly :smile: Don't think I deserve more than half marks on it though :/
(edited 11 years ago)
I assumed I'd only get 40UMS on the A2 speaking, which is only sliightly better than what i got at AS, the first time (37). I hope it went better than that! We did get the conditional in, with the debate and some other lovely stuff when we spoke about the history topic. I DID sound reasonably confident with my A2 recording. Sounded terrorfied on my AS resit one, not helped by the fact the mic was so far away from me.

My translations from english to german were horrific. I REALLY wanted a passive, because i'd done loads of revision on them, and could identify and do them in german quite easy. Didnt get one. We did get the future passive in the german - english one, which I did spot (because it makes me feel like someones tied my shoelaces together), and translate correctly :smile: Don't think I deserve more than half marks on it though :/

My AS speaking I got 55 and I felt after the A2 one that it was a lot worse, so I don't think I got 40 though. I did get my favourite topic on my cue card though, which makes me feel better about it, I know it could have been a lot worse.
I can't even remember my translations, I've just blocked them out they were that horrible!
What exam board are you on?
Original post by rainbow.panda

Know how you feel. Did you fall victim to the Edexcel "let's all knock everyone's oral mark down very heavily if the speaking wasn't spontaneous enough" scheme?
Original post by Ho Chi Minh
Know how you feel. Did you fall victim to the Edexcel "let's all knock everyone's oral mark down very heavily if the speaking wasn't spontaneous enough" scheme?

No, our school uses the Welsh board WJEC, they gave me an E (after a remark is was changed to a D) which was totally undeserved as I've always been good at French and I knew I'd done okay, even our language teacher thought something was up because it wasn't just my grade that was bad.
My AS speaking I got 55 and I felt after the A2 one that it was a lot worse, so I don't think I got 40 though. I did get my favourite topic on my cue card though, which makes me feel better about it, I know it could have been a lot worse.
I can't even remember my translations, I've just blocked them out they were that horrible!
What exam board are you on?

AQA.
AQA.

Me too.
I'm quietly confident that I've made my insurance but I have no idea whether or not I got the A* I need in French for Cambridge. The essay in the exam went as well as it could have, but the reading and translation sections were definitely harder than previous years. The oral can also seem like a bit of a lottery due to the whole spontaneity thing... I felt fine about it afterwards but I might have been docked some marks for not entirely sticking to my argument on the card. Ah well, the wait will be over in about 80 hours!
I'm quietly confident that I've made my insurance but I have no idea whether or not I got the A* I need in French for Cambridge. The essay in the exam went as well as it could have, but the reading and translation sections were definitely harder than previous years. The oral can also seem like a bit of a lottery due to the whole spontaneity thing... I felt fine about it afterwards but I might have been docked some marks for not entirely sticking to my argument on the card. Ah well, the wait will be over in about 80 hours!

Good luck! Have you done any of the French reading yet?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending