The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

I hope everyone is happy with their results! :biggrin:
Original post by Deceiver
200/200 in A2 French is probably my proudest achievement ever! Still in shock (and quite tipsy atm) :tongue:

Time to order those books. :biggrin:
Reply 3822
Had an A in French and a B in Spanish so I'm off to Exeter! :biggrin:
Original post by Deceiver
200/200 in A2 French is probably my proudest achievement ever! Still in shock (and quite tipsy atm) :tongue:

Snap! Can't believe it!

Original post by -Illmatic-
got a B in OCR German (158/200)...I'm pretty content but the fact that I got 109/140 in LRW and 49/60 in speaking means that i was 2 UMS from an A...quite annoying but overall quite happy

Hey, I realise you posted this quite a while ago, but did you have your LRW paper remarked in the end?
And also I noticed the Dutch flag in your sig :tongue: So i asume you know some Dutch too! :rolleyes:
Did knowing Dutch help you with A-level German much? :smile:
Original post by thatitootoo

Hey, I realise you posted this quite a while ago, but did you have your LRW paper remarked in the end?
And also I noticed the Dutch flag in your sig :tongue: So i asume you know some Dutch too! :rolleyes:
Did knowing Dutch help you with A-level German much? :smile:

Hey! It went down by 3 UMS if I can remember correctly

I've forgotten all my Dutch tbh so it didnt really help me that much. I'm sure Dutch is dormant somewhere in my brain so subconciously, it probably did help me slightly. Interesting though that I can probably speak better German than I can Dutch haha
Hey! It went down by 3 UMS if I can remember correctly

I've forgotten all my Dutch tbh so it didnt really help me that much. I'm sure Dutch is dormant somewhere in my brain so subconciously, it probably did help me slightly. Interesting though that I can probably speak better German than I can Dutch haha

Aww okay, though it is still interesting that the subconcious Dutch within you made you pick AL German instead of French or something...hmmm :tongue:
I'm learning German at the moment...Dutch combined with awkward English only seems to help me with the bare basics of German. but ohh well :smile:
Original post by thatitootoo
Aww okay, though it is still interesting that the subconcious Dutch within you made you pick AL German instead of French or something...hmmm :tongue:
I'm learning German at the moment...Dutch combined with awkward English only seems to help me with the bare basics of German. but ohh well :smile:

Yeah definitely. I always excelled at German in lower school like year 8/9 etc and was much better than everybody else mainly because of Dutch....then it slowly started becoming less of an advantage (and often a bit of a disadvantage, Dutch grammar is different and I struggle a lot with German grammar)
Yeah definitely. I always excelled at German in lower school like year 8/9 etc and was much better than everybody else mainly because of Dutch....then it slowly started becoming less of an advantage (and often a bit of a disadvantage, Dutch grammar is different and I struggle a lot with German grammar)

Lucky you! Not many schools offer German these days...mine didn't even offer French! :lol:
I hear you! Dutch doesn't help at all with structuring long sentences in German! And ofcourse there are those 'faux amis' ohh don't get me started on that! :lol:
Hi everyone

I'm a second year student at University of Birmingham studying International Relations and Russian (ab initio). Feel free to ask me any questions you have about studying Russian from scratch, or anything uni related :smile:
Anyone else slowly counting down the days to going to uni and are completely convinced they've forgotten EVERYTHING they crammed into their heads before there exams?
Original post by .snowflake.
Anyone else slowly counting down the days to going to uni and are completely convinced they've forgotten EVERYTHING they crammed into their heads before there exams?

Oh definitely! I'm also panicking now because I have to take a diagnostic grammar test that will put me in a language group. Don't want to be in the bottom group!
Original post by greengables
Oh definitely! I'm also panicking now because I have to take a diagnostic grammar test that will put me in a language group. Don't want to be in the bottom group!

Don't worry :smile: I've heard that several unis do very similar diagnostics tests like this and there isn't normally a "bottom set" - it's just to see where your grammar weaknesses are so they know what to teach you during your time there. And many of them are just online multiple-choice things.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by greengables

Good luck with that!

YES!! Terrified I get there and can't speak a word :frown:

I'm having to very slowly make my way through conjugating all the important Spanish verbs I can think of. It's not as easy as it should be.. :/
Original post by Purple Giraffe
YES!! Terrified I get there and can't speak a word :frown:

I'm having to very slowly make my way through conjugating all the important Spanish verbs I can think of. It's not as easy as it should be.. :/

-hugs giraffe- I /should/ be able to do the modal verbs in german with my eyes shut and backwards (I messed one up once, for the next six weeks every time a modal verb came up, i had to give the right answer.) I don't think I can :/
-hugs giraffe- I /should/ be able to do the modal verbs in german with my eyes shut and backwards (I messed one up once, for the next six weeks every time a modal verb came up, i had to give the right answer.) I don't think I can :/

I just tried to recite them all and completely forgot about müssen :eek:

Hopefully everyone else will be just as rusty. After all, if they were practically fluent there'd be no reason for them to be there :rolleyes:
Original post by Purple Giraffe
I just tried to recite them all and completely forgot about müssen :eek:

Hopefully everyone else will be just as rusty. After all, if they were practically fluent there'd be no reason for them to be there :rolleyes:

true. I'm just hoping my lecturer for german is the sort that if i make a grammar mistake, she won't keep bringing it up for the next 6 weeks.
Just want to say good luck to everyone off to uni! For those of you going to Cambridge, I'll definitely/probably see you around :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending