This discussion is closed.
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
What sort of things do Oxbridge universities look for in applicants, apart from the obvious good grades?
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
"Potential" is often quoted. Though exactly how you measure it, or tell if you have it isn't explained.
katiyakat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Another oft-quoted one is 'a strong relationship with your subject' - they want to be absolutely sure that you've picked the right one.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
and they want you to get on well with them in the interview. They don't want to be teaching people that annoy them or who are arrogant for 3 years.

MB
g knee us
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Undry1)
What sort of things do Oxbridge universities look for in applicants, apart from the obvious good grades?
They are looking for people like me! So if you are not like me then bugger off because you won't get a place. Stop wasting the admissions tutors' time because they'll bin your application form or use them for coasters. In case you are wondering I am predicted 6A's in A level maths, further maths, history, physics, chemistry and latin. On top of that I am head boy at a prestigious independent school. Never mind you can't all be like me..........
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by g knee us)
They are looking for people like me! So if you are not like me then bugger off because you won't get a place. Stop wasting the admissions tutors' time because they'll bin your application form or use them for coasters. In case you are wondering I am predicted 6A's in A level maths, further maths, history, physics, chemistry and latin. On top of that I am head boy at a prestigious independent school. Never mind you can't all be like me..........
No, I severely doubt anyone else can be that far up themselves...
g knee us
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
No, I severely doubt anyone else can be that far up themselves...
I can see the green eyed monster rearing it's ugly head. I am so far up my own arse I've reached nirvana. Unlike some people I can afford to be this arrogant. Wouldn't you think?
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
is your offer conditional or unconditional?
g knee us
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
is your offer conditional or unconditional?
It is conditional. Why they didn't make it unconditional is totally beyond me because I've just as good as got the grades. No biggy.
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by g knee us)
I can see the green eyed monster rearing it's ugly head. I am so far up my own arse I've reached nirvana. Unlike some people I can afford to be this arrogant. Wouldn't you think?

hahahaha lol omg u rule!!!!!!!!!!
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, then I don't think you can afford to be that arrogant.
g knee us
Report 17 years ago
Well, then I don't think you can afford to be that arrogant.
I only think people with grades better than mine are authorised to make such a comment. Tell me what are your grades exactly? Because if they are not like mine then you are quite a few branches below me on the intelligence tree and cannot afford to make such a rich comment coming from someone so average like yourself.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
IIt will be interesting when you get here and realise that you're actually quite average and actually insignificant to the majority of people. I am not offended (or intimidated) by what you like to think is your supreme intellect, rather your over-bearing and misplaced arrogance.

You will definitely have to mature and learn inter-personal skills before (or, more appropriately, if) you make it here.
einstein
Report 17 years ago
IIt will be interesting when you get here and realise that you're actually quite average and actually insignificant to the majority of people. I am not offended (or intimidated) by what you like to think is your supreme intellect, rather your over-bearing and misplaced arrogance.

You will definitely have to mature and learn inter-personal skills before (or, more appropriately, if) you make it here.
Don't you worry. I haven't begun to quiver with fear in my BIG boots as I know my potential far surpasses most people's, yes even those at Cambridge. I have yet to meet my intellectual match. Not saying it is impossible but highly unlikely. So don't get me wrong. I am not arrogant just annoyingly perfect.
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

well said Blissy. It is clear that this guy thinks that A levels are all there is to life (not that he has one)

MB
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by einstein)
Don't you worry. I haven't begun to quiver with fear in my BIG boots as I know my potential far surpasses most people's, yes even those at Cambridge. I have yet to meet my intellectual match. Not saying it is impossible but highly unlikely. So don't get me wrong. I am not arrogant just annoyingly perfect.

Even if you are the total genius you think you are, you are still being arrogant. You are also being insulting and offensive to other people on this forum. I cannot possibly understand why anyone would feel the need to say these things unless they were hopelessly insecure; therefore you have my pity
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
indeed!
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
This guy won't last two seconds in the real world.
rocket
Report 17 years ago
I think he is pretty cool. Namely because I am he and trust me I think I'll survive in the real world when I start raking in my millions.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by rocket)
I think he is pretty cool. Namely because I am he and trust me I think I'll survive in the real world when I start raking in my millions.
Why yes, yes it is still the early 90s.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads