How is student life like at Exeter University? Watch

awais590
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
As title states,

is the night life any good, compared to that of Manchester/Newcastle?

Also, is it worth going to London the odd week or so for a night out, and how's the accommodation around the university, is it worth it or would it be better renting a house/flat?

I live quite up north, so it won't be practical to go to an open day, so relying on you guys

Also, is student satisfaction/job prospects decent? (for Law/History)

Thanks
ronfiles
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by awais590)
As title states,

Also, is it worth going to London the odd week or so for a night out, and how's the accommodation around the university, is it worth it or would it be better renting a house/flat?

I live quite up north, so it won't be practical to go to an open day, so relying on you guys

Thanks
Well, I had a flatmate who lived in Newcastle. Going by his words, he seems to miss the Newcastle nightlife, but he still enjoys the Exeter nightlife, though to him, it still doesn't match things back home. That's just his opinions, though.

Having said that, it's not like Exeter's a ghost town. Just going off the top of my head, the list of student hangouts include: Arena, Mosaic, Timepiece, Rococos, Lemmy or Bop(if you're a Lukie), EX4, Cavern. For bars/pubs, there's Mama Stones, Walkabout, Amber Rooms, Impy, Pitchers&Piano and of course, The Ram. I might have forgotten a few places, and I'm not sure what you're used to back home, so I guess you'll have to compare the nightlife yourself once you get here next year...

Having said that, I tend to go out with either my flatmates or coursemates or people I know on campus, and I guess having company kept things interesting for me, even if it's the umpteenth time that I've been to Arena.

I guess you could travel around if you ever want to explore the nightlife down south from where you live (e.g.: Bristol, London, Cardiff, or along the South Coast) to keep things interesting when you're bored. Bristol's quite popular as it's near, student-friendly, not too expensive, and sadly (for me, anyway), because they tend to get lots more interesting gigs than Exeter does.

Uni Accommodation is worth it, IMO - although the cleaners and your flatmates might annoy you from time to time, and construction works are still happening in some parts, I'd still recommend staying in flats for the 1st year, just so you don't miss out on the Freshers experience (pardon the cheesiness). Also, although renting might appear cheaper than Uni accommodation (e.g.: I'm paying £80/wk next year, whereas I paid almost £110/wk in 1st year), don't forget that private accommodation rates often don't include water, gas, electricity and broadband bills (water bills around Exeter isn't cheap), and you may feel more isolated if you rented. Just hope that you get very nice flatmates.

With regards to job prospects, I can tell you the Uni has facilities to help students with careers. The Careers & Employability Office has resources to help. There's also the Exeter Award Scheme, through which you can develop skills and enhance your employability (again, pardon the marketing speak - I only use them because I agree with them. You can book one-to-one appointments to seek help with your CV/Application Form/Interviews. They have events like the eX-Factor, Careers Fairs, CV Prize Draw, Application Form Competition, etc. Occassionally, some employers have events - I know IBM and KPMG had tour buses down on campus in the past year.

And I'm not so aware about the Law/Social Science Department, but I know the Business School has various programmes spread throughout the year tailored to Business School students, e.g.: Mock Interviews with Employers, Business Games/Competitions, Guest Speakers, etc. I'm sure the Law/Social Science Department has something similar.

Again, as I'm not a student doing the same course as you, I think it's best that I leave the student satisfaction (with respect to the course) question to someone else.

Hope that sort-of helped!
lionboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As title states,

Thanks
just to add, Law at exeter is a targetted Uni by which I mean Magic circle firms and most top firms visit/endorse applications from the uni. It does not mean you will get a job, it just means if you get a 2:1 your application will be considered whereas someone with a 2:1 from southampton solent will have their application binned quicker than yesterdays takeaway.
They have a lot of links to london, if you went through some profiles of solicitors in london, a decent number will have come from Exeter and not neccessarily have studied law; history is well represented as it is really the next best thing to a Law degree if not equal
So job prospects are generally peachy
awais590
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by ronfiles)
Well, I had a flatmate who lived in Newcastle. Going by his words, he seems to miss the Newcastle nightlife, but he still enjoys the Exeter nightlife, though to him, it still doesn't match things back home. That's just his opinions, though.

Having said that, it's not like Exeter's a ghost town. Just going off the top of my head, the list of student hangouts include: Arena, Mosaic, Timepiece, Rococos, Lemmy or Bop(if you're a Lukie), EX4, Cavern. For bars/pubs, there's Mama Stones, Walkabout, Amber Rooms, Impy, Pitchers&Piano and of course, The Ram. I might have forgotten a few places, and I'm not sure what you're used to back home, so I guess you'll have to compare the nightlife yourself once you get here next year...

Having said that, I tend to go out with either my flatmates or coursemates or people I know on campus, and I guess having company kept things interesting for me, even if it's the umpteenth time that I've been to Arena.

I guess you could travel around if you ever want to explore the nightlife down south from where you live (e.g.: Bristol, London, Cardiff, or along the South Coast) to keep things interesting when you're bored. Bristol's quite popular as it's near, student-friendly, not too expensive, and sadly (for me, anyway), because they tend to get lots more interesting gigs than Exeter does.

Uni Accommodation is worth it, IMO - although the cleaners and your flatmates might annoy you from time to time, and construction works are still happening in some parts, I'd still recommend staying in flats for the 1st year, just so you don't miss out on the Freshers experience (pardon the cheesiness). Also, although renting might appear cheaper than Uni accommodation (e.g.: I'm paying £80/wk next year, whereas I paid almost £110/wk in 1st year), don't forget that private accommodation rates often don't include water, gas, electricity and broadband bills (water bills around Exeter isn't cheap), and you may feel more isolated if you rented. Just hope that you get very nice flatmates.

With regards to job prospects, I can tell you the Uni has facilities to help students with careers. The Careers & Employability Office has resources to help. There's also the Exeter Award Scheme, through which you can develop skills and enhance your employability (again, pardon the marketing speak - I only use them because I agree with them. You can book one-to-one appointments to seek help with your CV/Application Form/Interviews. They have events like the eX-Factor, Careers Fairs, CV Prize Draw, Application Form Competition, etc. Occassionally, some employers have events - I know IBM and KPMG had tour buses down on campus in the past year.

And I'm not so aware about the Law/Social Science Department, but I know the Business School has various programmes spread throughout the year tailored to Business School students, e.g.: Mock Interviews with Employers, Business Games/Competitions, Guest Speakers, etc. I'm sure the Law/Social Science Department has something similar.

Again, as I'm not a student doing the same course as you, I think it's best that I leave the student satisfaction (with respect to the course) question to someone else.

Hope that sort-of helped!
Sorry for late reply, internet messed up for a while.

But, thanks for the reply, summed everything up perfectly

+1
montyh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No of course not, but its ok, 4 good clubs, plenty of bars/pubs. interestingly their doing up the student union and club, which is worth noting...

Nope, youll never go to london, its only about 2h30mins by train, but theres no point. youll also do well to find people to go with considering the cost.

I'd still go, i went to see 6 unis, and im thankful that i did. its very easy to fly down/take the train and stay in a b and b cheaply.

Overall exeter is a very up and coming uni, in the top 10 times uni guide and is developing hugely. as for law and history, its best department is the business school, but any serious subject at Exe will be looked upon favorably by employers, providing you get a good grade.

hope this helps x
jessicaden3465
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heya, I know this is a very late reply but hopefully this thread gets pushed up so that other people can see too! I have just finished my first year at exeter uni and I remember when I was a student with an offer, watching as many youtuber videos as I could to really know what exeter uni life was like! I would say there's actually so much you can gain from just a person sitting and ONLY talking about it, it's good to see a day in a life vlogs! This very helpful youtuber called francesca michaud does a lot of student life vlogs at exeter uni and she did one titled "Student Life Vlogs: DAY IN A LIFE Exeter Uni" which is really worth checking out as it helped me a lot when i was in your shoes! Hopefully this helps xxxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (53)
21.03%
Unconditional if firmed (20)
7.94%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.79%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (6)
2.38%
No unconditional offers (171)
67.86%

Watched Threads