Ciorstag
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey, is anyone doing Advanced Higher Geography 2011-2012? I've got a geographical issue but I can't decide what to do for my geographical study. I live in the north west of Scotland so there is probaly lots I could do. I was going to do rivers but I think I'd rather do something that isn't as common. Any ideas that won't be too hard to write about??
Thanks
rosie9391
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rivers: Downstream changes in velocity, discharge and load - these are the common general studies, but you could make it more specific to a certain area and more unique with parts e.g. is there a relationship between river x and the Bradshaw model? Maybe want to focus more on features and do an investigation into meander formation and development; sinuosity index, amplitude and channel widths could be looked at. Or a comparion of meandering and straight points on the same river by looking at depth, width, wetted perimeter etc. Or could see if there's a nearby river with evidence of human management and could compare to a different section and see if there's any effects on discharge and velocity. There's so much you could do with rivers, and yes, it's a popular choice but try and branch away and make your study standout from the rest.

Soils/woodlands: Perhaps a comparision in two different types of woodland area e.g. deciduous and coniferous and look at soil textures, profiles, pH, tempertures, moisture and infiltration rates etc. You could try and determine ages (through looking at rings of cut down trees), light intensity - even touch on micro-climates - and plant diversity with a vegetation succession.

Glaciation: You could see if there's glacial deposits in your area, maybe connected to the Younger Dryas. Or do a remodel of past glacial cover, although this might be demanding for an untrained eye.

Just a few ideas that might inspire you.
Ciorstag
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks!
I think I might do the soil/woodlands I think I could probably write quite alot about that
VirginGeog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oi virgins need a field study topic, hit me up for a gaff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (578)
34.36%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (690)
41.02%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (337)
20.04%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.58%

Watched Threads