This discussion is closed.
LongGone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
I agree with this. Personally, the issue is more Israel than Judaism.
I think that the problem is that some people just can't seperate the actions of some members of a religion and the religion as a whole. It's not just Jews who have to deal with that, but Muslims and Christians too.
Saf!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
I agree with this. Personally, the issue is more Israel than Judaism.
that's wot i'm trying to say.....................ppl have *** to think that jews are really bad
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
gud point..............personally i don't hate all jews
I don't hate any Jews... although I think that Arial (Ariel?) Sharon is a bit of an idiot.
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
i don't understand either.........but i know a lot of ppl who hate jews bacause of wots happening in israel now
Does it beat whats happened in Iraq where Iraqis gassed entire kurd communities?

Does it beat what happened in Indonesia where Timorans have been buthered for religious reasons?

Does it beat whats happening in Africa where religious minorities are being wiped out?

How about what the Chinese did with the Tibetans?

Why are jews being singled out? Its not just Palestine. Its age-old religous hatred me thinks.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hating of all Jews... that's what I hate about antisemitism.

Firstly, it's entirely religious. Anybody who takes religion seriously enough to consider killing another person because of it should be shot. That's my view anyway.

Secondly, it's pointless. I haven't seen a single antisemitist argument that has been valid or even remotely respectable. In fact, I haven't really seen a reason for antisemitism.

Thirdly, it's stupid generalisation. It targets every Jew... from the Israeli religious extremists all the way to the totally innocent Jewish school kid.

Please, if there are any antisemitists on here, what is the point?
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
I think that the problem is that some people just can't seperate the actions of some members of a religion and the religion as a whole. It's not just Jews who have to deal with that, but Muslims and Christians too.
And that some members of said groups actively and deceitfully attempt to conflate the concepts.

Ben Gurion: "We must ensure all anti-zionism is seen as anti-semitism"
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
I don't hate any Jews... although I think that Arial (Ariel?) Sharon is a bit of an idiot.
so do i
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
And that some members of said groups actively and deceitfully attempt to conflate the concepts.

Ben Gurion: "We must ensure all anti-zionism is seem as anti-semitism"
WHAT!?

I think people can disagree with Israel without being anti-semitist at all.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Hating of all Jews... that's what I hate about antisemitism.

Firstly, it's entirely religious.
This could not be more wrong.

Hitler believed that the race of the Jews must be destroyed, regardless of religion. He openly mocked discrimination on religious grounds...

For the Jew was still characterised for me by nothing but his religion, and therefore, on grounds of human tolerance, I maintained my rejection of religious attacks in this case as in others. Consequently, the tone, particularly that of the Viennese anti-Semitic press, seemed to me unworthy of the cultured tradition of a great nation’

(Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf)
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DoctorNO)

Why are jews being singled out? Its not just Palestine. Its age-old religous hatred me thinks.
They're Israelis. Why do you keep refering to them as Jews? I'm sure most Israelis are Jewish.

Most states adhere to the Machiavellian ideology of the state coming before religion. That might just be Christianity though, i'm not sure.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
WHAT!?

I think people can disagree with Israel without being anti-semitist at all.
Of course they can.

It doesn't stop there being a concerted campaign to blur that distinction.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Ben Gurion: "We must ensure all anti-zionism is seem as anti-semitism"
I think Ariel Sharon said something along those lines. That's when I decided he was an idiot.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
This could not be more wrong.

Hitler believed that the race of the Jews must be destroyed, regardless of religion. He openly mocked discrimination on religious grounds...
Okay, I'm sorry.

But still... there are Jews who inherit being a Jew, like a race, and Jews who convert.

My other points still stand, right?
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Okay, I'm sorry.

But still... there are Jews who inherit being a Jew, like a race, and Jews who convert.

My other points still stand, right?
haha, no need to be sorry.

Your latter statement is true, the term itself is unclear.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think the main reason many people dislike i wouldnt use the word hate jews (this is a generalisation) is because in the case of Israel and Palistine the Jews seem to dwell on the fact they were treated horrifically during the holocaust years and they use it as an excuse to treat palistinians so horrifically....i know this is a socially sensitive and one may say taboo topic but i thought i would give it a try! :rolleyes:
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa)
I think the main reason many people dislike i wouldnt use the word hate jews (this is a generalisation) is because in the case of Israel and Palistine the Jews seem to dwell on the fact they were treated horrifically during the holocaust years and they use it as an excuse to treat palistinians so horrifically....i know this is a socially sensitive and one may say taboo topic but i thought i would give it a try! :rolleyes:
Ah, there's a whole thread about it. Maybe they use the Holocaust to try and get sympathy and support.

Imagine the Holocaust never happened would there have been the mass migration to Israel/Palestine and thus the start of a conflict?

Precisely. There wouldn't. So it's all Hitler's fault.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Ah, there's a whole thread about it. Maybe they use the Holocaust to try and get sympathy and support.

Imagine the Holocaust never happened would there have been the mass migration to Israel/Palestine and thus the start of a conflict?

Precisely. There wouldn't. So it's all Hitler's fault.
dont forget americas either....there cant be a disaster without the us being involved...come on!!!
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
dont forget americas either....there cant be a disaster without the us being involved...come on!!!
Of course. They get involved in everything. Today we looked in History at how they declared themselves the world's international police force immediately after WWII.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Of course. They get involved in everything. Today we looked in History at how they declared themselves the world's international police force immediately after WWII.
i know during the korean/ vietnam conflict it wasnt a war oh no it was and get this a 'police action'. im sorry how can america preach moral supremacy when clearly women and africian americians are not on edual standing to white men in us ..........
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It is worth noting that those using it as a justification (Israeli Jews) rarely have their roots in Germany etc. I know several German Jews who hate many Israeli Jews for that precise reason.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (65)
18.95%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.87%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.96%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.21%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.99%
Speak to current students studying my course (79)
23.03%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.79%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.5%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.33%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.75%

Watched Threads