This discussion is closed.
DoctorNO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Okay... Strangely enough, lots of Muslims seem to as well. But lots of Christians don't, well only the really religious Christians do I think.
I dont know about the muslims but with Christians it depends mainly on specific groups or sects. Historians attribute some of our economic success to the excellent work ethics initiated through the belief in Christian predestination. In what way? Christians equate success with god's blessings & approval unto salvation. So they work hard. They save money. They do charity. They create jobs.
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
On the other hand Spanish Christians thanks to their Siesta (napping) culture, they tend be the happy-go-lucky sorts.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DoctorNO)
I dont know about the muslims but with Christians it depends mainly on specific groups or sects. Historians attribute some of our economic success to the excellent work ethics initiated through the belief in Christian predestination. In what way? Christians equate success with god's blessings & approval unto salvation. So they work hard. They save money. They do charity. They create jobs.
actually it was more to do with a claimed link between the areas in which Lutheranism first set up shop and those areas in which capitalism was first enlightened. However, i think it would be more fair to say that it was due to the removal of the Catholic church's influence as they used t believe that usury was a crime
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Still,

you can't use academic achievement as a sign of someone being Jewish.

So how do people manage to spot Jews obviously from a mile off?
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think you mean Max Weber's theory of the "Protestant work ethic'.
The Pilgrim
Report 17 years ago
For almost 2000 years Jews everywhere have been persecuted. By Europeans, Arabs, Americans, Muslims & Christians. Theyve been beaten, raped, robbed, exiled, you name it. Is it purely for religious reasons? WHY??? Because christians blame jews for killing christ? Because muslims blame jews as pigs who oppressed mohammed?

Well christianity had been reformed but apparently many christians still hate jews. And so does many athiests.

WHY??? Because of the Palestinian issue? Heck the Indonesians, Russians & the africans have done worst.

Why do people love hating jews?
the particular reason why people dislike jews is that they are not an easily identifiable religious group. they have no obvious defining physical characteristics, which leads to a sort of 'enemy within' attitude amongst their enemies. another reason is that jews have traditionally not had thier own nations like other religions so they tend to live amongst people of other religions. this again contributes to a sense of paranoia amongst xenophobes and bigots that makes hatred of Jews particularly virulent and unpleasant.
Naz1
Report 17 years ago
For almost 2000 years Jews everywhere have been persecuted. By Europeans, Arabs, Americans, Muslims & Christians. Theyve been beaten, raped, robbed, exiled, you name it. Is it purely for religious reasons? WHY??? Because christians blame jews for killing christ? Because muslims blame jews as pigs who oppressed mohammed?

Well christianity had been reformed but apparently many christians still hate jews. And so does many athiests.

WHY??? Because of the Palestinian issue? Heck the Indonesians, Russians & the africans have done worst.

The main reason is because of the way they treat people (Palestinian)
its their home land and their getting kicked out only because their not strog enough and this hate is depend because of history so you basically answered your own question i just elaborated on it.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Still,

you can't use academic achievement as a sign of someone being Jewish.

So how do people manage to spot Jews obviously from a mile off?
ability at accounting, and the skull cap. dark hair.
I am infact only joking
O and congrats to the guy who makes a play oon the word nazi as his username
J
marlborolights
Report 17 years ago

I am Jewish by birth and despite being fervently atheist, anti-semitism really pisses me off...my great grandparents were killed at Auschwitz and there does seem to be a lot of stereotyping of jews, even today. I don't believe in religion, but I find it fascinating....to me, it's something that causes all the trouble in the world for no apparent reason because, as Marx said, it is nothing but a weak opiate for the people.
marlborolights
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
ed norton is an underrated actor who should have won an oscar for American History X - i shaped my view of the world - slightly
American History X was terrifying but amazing.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by marlborolights)
I am Jewish by birth and despite being fervently atheist, anti-semitism really pisses me off...my great grandparents were killed at Auschwitz and there does seem to be a lot of stereotyping of jews, even today. I don't believe in religion, but I find it fascinating....to me, it's something that causes all the trouble in the world for no apparent reason because, as Marx said, it is nothing but a weak opiate for the people.
Yes, I agree, in a previous post in another thread I have said that the world would be a better place to live without religions.

:cool:
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by The Pilgrim)
the particular reason why people dislike jews is that they are not an easily identifiable religious group. they have no obvious defining physical characteristics, which leads to a sort of 'enemy within' attitude amongst their enemies. another reason is that jews have traditionally not had thier own nations like other religions so they tend to live amongst people of other religions. this again contributes to a sense of paranoia amongst xenophobes and bigots that makes hatred of Jews particularly virulent and unpleasant.
Which is the Christian or Muslim nation?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads