No (33)
21.57%
This discussion is closed.
turbocharged
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Okay, first of all I would like to make it clear that I am not trolling. I am an F1 fan and appreciate the skills and abilities of F1 drivers. However, F1 drivers are not on a level playing field and F1 is therefore not a sport. GP2 is a sport because all the cars are the same and therefore the ability of the driver plays a much bigger role.

Rather, F1 is more of an engineering competition than a sport. I enjoy F1 so this post is not aimed at winding anyone up, it is my personal opinion. I would like to know what you think: is F1 a sport or not?
dj1015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Motorsport

*edit: It should also be pointed out there that lots of other sports in which people can also gain an engineering advantage, this is not something that is exclusive to F1
woody_matt
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
it was more of a sport before the pit crew and computers practically driver the car for the drivers. bring back sequential gearboxes and cigar tube shaped cars i say.
on a more serious note, they have frozen the engine specification for a decade, meaning at best, everyone has the same engine. so now it is a competition of making the cars faster for less, and be better from the environment, which is a good thing in my opinion
Tahooper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As someone pointed out, F1 is a motorsport, so depending on your definition of what a sport is I suppose you could argue both ways.
Colbert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
By this logic football isn't a sport :facepalm2:
turbocharged
Rep:
?
(Original post by Colbert)
By this logic football isn't a sport :facepalm2:
Why? Football is based entirely around the ability of the players.
Colbert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by turbocharged)
Manager, coaches, financial stability of the club, input of owner, physios, nutrionists?
JamesBlood
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why? Football is based entirely around the ability of a club to buy the players.
FYP
K.H
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeh and the depth of the pockets of the owners... Cough Man city Cough
turbocharged
Rep:
?
(Original post by Colbert)
Manager, coaches, financial stability of the club, input of owner, physios, nutrionists?
Fair enough, they all have an influence but they don't directly affect how the players play during matches. Once on the pitch they only have their own ability to rely on.

Whereas the specifications of the car affect F1 drivers at all times during races.
GeordieEdgeDXB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sport - An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively / Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

F1 falls under both of those definitions. It is not simply down to the driver to compete in the sport. It comes down to the skill of the engineers, the efficiency of the mechanics etc etc.
J1mjam
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
if a driver turns his wheel left on a straight. he will crash. therefore the possibility of winning the race is down to the driver. many companies in many sports find technology advances and give their players a boost.
swimming costumes
tennis rackets(any type)
football boots
running trainers
any sort of energy drink

all these things could be developed by(for example) Nike. so only nike players would be able to use the advances. im sure sooner or later adidas will follow suit. but this is generally what happens in sport
wildrover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by GeordieEdgeDXB)
Sport - An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively / Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

F1 falls under both of those definitions. It is not simply down to the driver to compete in the sport. It comes down to the skill of the engineers, the efficiency of the mechanics etc etc.
Your definition is flawed as snooker IS a sport and does not involve physical exertion.
turbocharged
Rep:
?
(Original post by wildrover)
Your definition is flawed as snooker IS a sport and does not involve physical exertion.
Yeah there needs to be something about motor skills in there as well. Darts is a sport too.
mirin?
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Somewhat agree. But the title made me feel very angry for some reason lol.
Hoozo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Fair enough, they all have an influence but they don't directly affect how the players play during matches. Once on the pitch they only have their own ability to rely on.

Whereas the specifications of the car affect F1 drivers at all times during races.
Training facilities, other players around them even the pitch condition. If F1 isnt a sport then football definitely isnt. In football the teams aren't on a level playing field but in my eyes it is still a sport.
Sagacious
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Formula 1 isn't a sport? Seriously?

Definition of Sport - 'Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.'

Physical activity - The drivers driving the car.
Governed by a set of rules - The FIA have set rules for safety etc.
Competition - The drivers/constructors championship, points are awarded depending on the position the drivers come in.

Therefore it meets the definition of sport. But you think it isn't a sport? Facepalm.
Silver Aurora
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1 Word... Competition aha
muffingg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You should rather be arguing whether chess is a sport or not.
TheCurlyHairedDude
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Davethedavedave)
Motorsport

*edit: It should also be pointed out there that lots of other sports in which people can also gain an engineering advantage, this is not something that is exclusive to F1
This...

In tennis there's technology that can change the elasticity in the netting of the bat without comprimising other things....

Same with a load os sports
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (171)
53.44%
18-20 years old (no) (38)
11.88%
20-25 years old (yes) (51)
15.94%
20-25 years old (no) (5)
1.56%
25-30 years old (yes) (20)
6.25%