The Student Room Group

Do most guys cheat on their girlfriends when they go to university?

My girlfriend seems to think I'm one of these guys. I'm not psychic, I can't see what's gonna happen in the future but one thing I know for sure is that I'd never ever hurt her intentionally.

I told her I was going to a nightclub with my friends in a couple of days to celebrate the end of A-Levels and she seemed pretty worried... There will be a lot of university students there because it's a special night. Basically to her this means:

Uni students= slutty girls= slutty girls hitting on me= me doing something bad.

She says this mere event is "Just the beginning" and she thinks once I'm at uni all hell will break loose...
I'm not the type who goes out clubbing frequently; in the last 6 months I've been to 3 nightclubs. I know that figure may rise slightly whilst in university because I've been doing A-Levels and you get so much more free time in university. But I'm also not the type who gets absolutely wasted beyond consciousness... I don't even drink!

No matter what I say I can't seem to reassure her that I'll remain faithful. She says I'm naive and clueless when it comes to girls... Do most guys cheat when they go off to uni or something?
Reply 1
I think there are situations when there is more temptation for a guy or a girl to cheat and nights out happens to be one of them.

However, when someone cheats, it might not be in the situation you might expect. Like you said, you can't know what may happen in the future but if you know yourself then she should trust you.

Honesty and trust are the key foundations in a relationship and whilst every girl can have moments when she feels a little insecure, for your girlfriend to be worried about 'all hell' breaking loose seems a bit of an overreaction at this point.

Expansion in your social life does not mean you will cheat, nor does you staying in imply that you are less likely to cheat. I know plenty of guys at university who are in LDR or with their partner and are completely faithful - at least I can say this for the couples I am close to.

Its ok for her to be concerned but seems like she is worrying too much especially when you have given her nothing to worry/be concerned about.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Not one of the ~10 guys i know in relationships have cheated.
Around 8 of the ~30 single guys i know have actually had sex at university with a random girl.

'Lots of sex at university' is such an outsider view of things in general and doesn't happen like people say it does.
@Title

Only A***holes.
Reply 4
I don't think that going to University automatically means that your partner is going to cheat on you. However, they are more prone to temptation. Re-assure your girlfriend you won't cheat on her. Maybe go on a nice romantic date together, to remind her how speacial she is to you? Hope it goes well bro :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Tommyjw
Not one of the ~10 guys i know in relationships have cheated.
Around 8 of the ~30 single guys i know have actually had sex at university with a random girl.

'Lots of sex at university' is such an outsider view of things in general and doesn't happen like people say it does.

when you say they have had sex with a random girl, is this a girl they didnt know before and had only met on that night? what about the singles guys who have had sex with girls they did know?

and is this because they arent attractive enough or confident enough or havent had the guts to approach enough or another reason?
Reply 6
I'd be a bit pissed off if my GF was acting like that to be honest.
Reply 7
Don't jealous me
Reply 8
Original post by robotwars
when you say they have had sex with a random girl, is this a girl they didnt know before and had only met on that night? what about the singles guys who have had sex with girls they did know?

and is this because they arent attractive enough or confident enough or havent had the guts to approach enough or another reason?

Well i'm not quite sure how many of those single guys 'knew' the girl. Most likely it is either a girl that know on a course or something,. or a complete random person.

Nope, many of the guys are very confident, good looking etc, some aren't some are, obviously. But in general they are 'better than average' i suppose.

The thing is it's not just me saying this. Talk to the majority of people at university and they will say the same. University gives you more 'opportunities' for sex, but it's no more pushed in your face than going clubs etc in your hometown.

You know you won't cheat.
I've gone through a year knowing i wouldnt cheat, and didn't. I'm not saying im some amazingly handsome guy, but i had plenty of chances and even offers, like many of my friends did, but they are easy to avoid.

Just for reference. My home city had more 'slutty girls'.
The non-student nights/clubs have always got more slutty girls than the student nights specifically for students at my university.

No need to lie, people will cheat on people at university, it's a fact, but if you know yourself and just avoid anything leading to that, it really is easy to not let it happen. And your girlfriend has a right to worry, but not to the extent she seems t be.
F**kkk you have a paranoid gf... Good luck!
Don't give into peer pressure is the line of warning here! :wink:
Reply 11
there's physical cheating then there is emotional cheating

not really sure why anyone in a couple goes out to places where the end game is to find a girl to sleep with

but that is a different issue
she is seriously insecure!!!
All of the guys on my floor cheated on their girlfriends. I'm not sure how prevalent this is, but at university I feel like there are lots of chances to get with someone if you are looking to do so.
Reply 14
Your girlfriend needs to work on her trust issues. Trust is extremely important in relationships. Along with communication!
Reply 15
I can't see your relationship lasting.
I face a similar issue with my gf when we go to uni this year. I think you need to talk to her about it, reassure her and get her to trust you. I'd say it's not worth staying in an LDR with someone if they don't trust you. The more she moans that you're probably gonna cheat, which if you're anything like me must feel like a real insult, the more likely you're going to drift away from her. Communicate and build up trust before you go :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest