The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Family friend is a cosmetic surgeon with a lambo, he's in his 50's though.
...oh dear.
Well yes, doctors have high salaries, allowing them to purchase more expensive items. Would of thought this was obvious? Say doctor makes 110k, will only have to save up for at least two years for a car in region of 150k or more taking into consideration other things such as bills etc.
Depends on whether or not they've paid off their divorce yet, innit.
Reply 5
Original post by The Black Lips
Well yes, doctors have high salaries, allowing them to purchase more expensive items. Would of thought this was obvious? Say doctor makes 110k, will only have to save up for at least two years for a car in region of 150k or more taking into consideration other things such as bills etc.

Not really. After tax they'll only be getting about 60k.

Regardless. This really shouldn't be a reason for wanting to be a doctor.

That said at least the OP is being honest about their reasons for wanting to be a doctor.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The Black Lips
but forgetting income tax, national insurance and PLI?

Not to mention this intake will have much larger student loans to pay back, more expensive house prices to fork out and higher pensions contributions. A £150k car is a pipe-dream for all doctors bar those that inherit or marry into wealth
Reply 7
Money is not a major contributing factor in pursuing a career?
Where have you been living lately?
This is the real world. People work for money.
It's just pathetic to pretend we all choose our careers in order to do what we 'like'. Do what you like on weekends and on vacations. At work, you're there to win money.

There is a reason why med school is competitive.
It's basic human nature to desire money/power. That doesn't mean you can't be an excellent doctor that loves helping others, while being a business oriented person and winning tons of money.
Reply 8
I dunno if it is in this person's case but why do people assume that you're in it for the money when you talk about stuff like that or just mention the word 'money'? No matter how much you wanna help people, you can't ignore the fact that you'll probably earn quite a bit doing it.

And to answer the question, it depends on what field you go into. I don't think a GP will be able to afford a bentley, Lamborghini etc but a private dr/surgeon or a consultant may- after many years.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Depends what you mean by really expensive.

My boss has a Porsche GT3. My uncle has a Lexus RX 450. My wife had a Mazda RX8 but has just sold it and got a new Seat Ibiza (the RX8 wasn't too baby friendly). I sold my Alfa 156 and got a 159. My best doctor mates (all in their 20s) drive an Audi A4, a BMW 530d and an Audi A3.
Reply 10
Yes, they can. :curious:
My dads a Consultant surgeon but he drives the oldest Honda imaginable.

He says doctors should be humble.
well, yes, once a doctor gets into their 40's, they're probably earning a very nice salary. People earning lots of money have lots of money to spend. In conclusion, people with lots of money can buy lots of things, so yes, a doctor could buy a nice car.
You haven't actually said if you want to pursue a career in medicine, but if you do, cash should not be the reason. You can make a lot more money without so much stress/learning/long hours in other jobs.
Reply 13
Original post by Blackout94
So, do you guys think doctors can afford cars like bentleys and ferraris?

You obviously will have a choice: Spend every penny(perhaps even take up a loan) and buy expensive lambos and limos, while living in a huge house that you will pay in 50 years.
Or you could drive a humble car and invest that money. And get to be financially independent after some time.
Reply 14
Original post by stefyx
Money is not a major contributing factor in pursuing a career?
Where have you been living lately?
This is the real world. People work for money.
It's just pathetic to pretend we all choose our careers in order to do what we 'like'. Do what you like on weekends and on vacations. At work, you're there to win money.

There is a reason why med school is competitive.
It's basic human nature to desire money/power. That doesn't mean you can't be an excellent doctor that loves helping others, while being a business oriented person and winning tons of money.

True but there are so many other ways in making a quick buck, without going through the hassle of med school and the years of training afterwards. Sure doctors like all other professions work for money, but it's a ridiculous amount of time and effort to be put through to get to the end result along with the huge debt. Surely it'd be more sensible to do something like investment banking where you can get there twice as fast.
well, if you are an awesome private doctor...sure....

if you are in the NHS....doubt you'll be driving lambos and living in multi-million pound mansions anytime soon
Reply 16
Original post by Naomiimoan
I dunno if it is in this person's case but why do people assume that you're in it for the money when you talk about stuff like that or just mention the word 'money'? No matter how much you wanna help people, you can't ignore the fact that you'll probably earn quite a bit doing it.

And to answer the question, it depends on what field you go into. I don't think a GP will be able to afford a bentley, Lamborghini etc but a private dr/surgeon or a consultant may- after many years.

GPs are consultants too :wink:. And a GP who is a partner in their own practice with add ons like a pharmacy etc would probably bring in more than a consultant surgeon who just did NHS work.

I don't care much about cars I just want one that drives adequately and doesn't look horrible. But at the moment I can just about afford this bus.
If all you want is money then please, do investment banking/economics...
(edited 12 years ago)
Lol @ misinformation, short answer is not even close most of the time, for the rest you might as well ask how long is a piece of string, why waste your time with something that will take that much time and effort for money, you dont have to be genius to see that there are plenty of easier ways to get that sort of thing, cliche but very true
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Blackout94
So, do you guys think doctors can afford cars like bentleys and ferraris?

Good statement showing why doctors never seem to give a **** about patients.

Latest

Trending

Trending