The Student Room Group

amount of contact hours (lectures, tutorials...)

Hi

It would be interesting to start a thread where people could provide the following info:

-What Uni they are at
-What type of course they are studying
-What year of study they are in
-amount of COMPULSORY contact hours
(broken down into proportion lectures/tutorials/etc...)
-amount of non-compulsory contact hours

Most Uni prospectus boast "10 to 12 contact hours" a week
Various statistics are published saying around 12 to 16 hours
This seems highly unlikely,
I'd like to hear what people are actually getting for their £3300 (soon to be £9k)

Thomas

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Justa note.. in a lot of subjects contact hours mean nothing but out-of-lecture reading is where you will do most of your work. So judging 'what are you getting for what you pay' based on contact hours is a bit silly imo.
Reply 2
Original post by Tommyjw
Justa note.. in a lot of subjects contact hours mean nothing but out-of-lecture reading is where you will do most of your work. So judging 'what are you getting for what you pay' based on contact hours is a bit silly imo.

Pretty much. My contact hours were 4 hours of lectures per week and 4 hours of seminars per fortnight in my final year, but I had a diss to do and my lecturers were always welcoming if you wanted to head over and ask a couple of questions outside of specified hours.
Cambridge, 1st year Physical Natural Scientist
12 hours lectures
4 hours 2/3-on-1 supervisions
4 hours Materials labs
6 hours Chem labs BIWEEKLY
4 hours Physics labs BIWEEKLY

So averaging my chem and phys labs, 25 contact hours a week.

But obviously, for arts subjects contact time is a lot less, however the quality of education they receive is no lower. You can't really use contact hours as a measure of whether you are 'getting your money's worth' or not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
It would be interesting to see if there is a divide between the prestigious Russel Group, the RedBricks and the former polys.

I think 'contact hours' is exactly the correct measure to see if you're getting your monies worth, otherwise you might as well just get a library card!

More input please from other students,
I think the average will be below 10 hours???

Thomas
9-5 mon/fri with a few 8am starts.
Reply 6
My first degree 8 years back now was Civil Engineering at the University of Liverpool, I think in the first year was about 25 hours per week contact time, lectures/seminar/labs/tutorials and they expected double that private study.
I'm doing clinical psychology at a former poly now and it's 10 hours per week in the first year, although I still think I'm getting value for money.
Reply 7
"9-5 mon/fri with a few 8am starts."
No jokes, please

Just hours, uni, year, course type, etc...
Original post by Thomas.flipper
"9-5 mon/fri with a few 8am starts."
No jokes, please.

Erm. It wasn't, brah. I also have an evening class that goes til 8.30pm in one of the later semesters apparently.
Reply 9
Univeristy of Leeds, first year physics

11 hours of lectures
4 hours of labs
2 hours of computer lab
2 hours of workshops
1 hour tutorial

So in total 20 hours a week of contact time.

I agree with Tommyjw that quite a bit of work is done outside of contact hours, so contact hours alone aren't the best way to see if your 'getting your money's worth', it would be better to include all the out of contact time reading and work that students do as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
"8 years back ... Civil Engineering ... Liverpool ... 25 hours ..., clinical psychology former poly ... 10 hours per week "

Exactly, 25 hours would be excellent,
I wonder how much contact hours students at Liverpool Civil Engineering are getting now?

The 10 hours for clinical Psychology seems more likely in 2011.
Original post by eggnchips
My first degree 8 years back now was Civil Engineering at the University of Liverpool, I think in the first year was about 25 hours per week contact time, lectures/seminar/labs/tutorials and they expected double that private study.
I'm doing clinical psychology at a former poly now and it's 10 hours per week in the first year, although I still think I'm getting value for money.

What uni teaches clinical psych at undergrad?
"work is done outside of contact hours, so contact hours alone aren't the best way to see if your getting your money's worth,... include all the out of contact time reading and work that students do as well"

But you don't have to pay yourself when you read,
I still think amount of contact hours is what you're paying for (and the qualification at the end)

Godspeed Gehenna,
where are you studying (year, course type etc...)
Hi

It would be interesting to start a thread where people could provide the following info:

-What Uni they are at Strathclyde Uni
-What type of course they are studying Law (llb)
-What year of study they are in: Going into second
-amount of COMPULSORY contact hours 6 one hour lectures a week -however a lot are webcasted which is a pain so really only 4hours and 3hours a fortnight for tutorials. Not enough imo and we've complained to the uni.
(broken down into proportion lectures/tutorials/etc...)
-amount of non-compulsory contact hours:Like studying and things? Just as long as it takes for me to get my assignments done.
Reply 14
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
What uni teaches clinical psych at undergrad?

Bangor :colondollar:
Original post by Thomas.flipper

Godspeed Gehenna,
where are you studying (year, course type etc...)

graduate medicine, starting first year in sept.
Original post by eggnchips
Bangor :colondollar:

As a minor, they do, ya.
2nd year student nurse at Glasgow Uni
At uni it was about 30 hours of lectures per week (9am - 4pm Mon - Fri with an hour a day for lunch)
At placement it's full time so 37.5 hours in a ward/GP surgery
Reply 18
Surrey
Mathematics
3rd year
12 hours contact time (all lectures, some are converted to tutorials when tests are coming up)
1 hour compulsory tutorial a week in first year
2 assignments and 2 class tests per module per semester (i.e. 16 tests and 16 assignments per year)
"Strathclyde Law ...6 one hour lectures a week ... really only 4hours and 3hours a fortnight for tutorials. Not enough imo and we've complained to the uni."

This is what I am getting at, I want to know from other students what they are getting for their money

"Graduate Medicine"
I should have stated undergraduate courses (as that is what I am interested in)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending