The Student Room Group

4 unsuccessful offers and one Uni left to reply back. What do I do now? Need advice?

I still need to hear back from one other Uni and then I know whether I have to go into clearing or not. This last Uni asked for confirmation of the course/grades I received, but I emailed this info about 2 weeks ago, but they haven't replied back yet. What do I do? I need to sort out accommodation and what not, so I kind of need to know what to do next. Any advice?
Clearing opens on results day so you won't need to go into that just yet. Instead you can go into UCAS extra, where you apply to uni's one at a time until they give you an offer and you accept it.

You still have time to sort accommodation and things. Believe it or not it's still early days so there's nothing to worry about.
Were you a late applicant? All the uni's should have replied to you ages ago and your offers chosen by now.
Reply 2
I still need to hear back from one other Uni and then I know whether I have to go into clearing or not. This last Uni asked for confirmation of the course/grades I received, but I emailed this info about 2 weeks ago, but they haven't replied back yet. What do I do? I need to sort out accommodation and what not, so I kind of need to know what to do next. Any advice?
Original post by Baby blue

First thing would be to contact them and ask for a status update.
Reply 4
Original post by Loz17

Original post by Loz17
Clearing opens on results day so you won't need to go into that just yet. Instead you can go into UCAS extra, where you apply to uni's one at a time until they give you an offer and you accept it.

You still have time to sort accommodation and things. Believe it or not it's still early days so there's nothing to worry about.
Were you a late applicant? All the uni's should have replied to you ages ago and your offers chosen by now.

Yeah, I applied about a week and half after Jan 15th. I am applying as a "mature student" though (not that that matters lol), as I finished college 2 years ago, but only now decided to go to Uni..
Yeah, I applied about a week and half after Jan 15th. I am applying as a "mature student" though (not that that matters lol).

That's far too long. As suggested above I think it's a good idea to ring the admissions office of that uni and ask why you've not got an answer yet seeing as you applied over 6 months ago!
Reply 6
Original post by Loz17

Original post by Loz17
That's far too long. As suggested above I think it's a good idea to ring the admissions office of that uni and ask why you've not got an answer yet seeing as you applied over 6 months ago!

Well they sent me an email about 5 weeks ago and asked if I could provide the precise name of the course I did, as they wasn't sure of the course name because I put something different on my Personal Statement, even though I thought I put the course name lol. Anyway, I sent them the email about 4 weeks ago and they haven't replied back. So do you suggest I call the actual University or UCAS?
Well they sent me an email about 5 weeks ago and asked if I could provide the precise name of the course I did, as they wasn't sure of the course name because I put something different on my Personal Statement, even though I thought I put the course name lol. Anyway, I sent them the email about 4 weeks ago and they haven't replied back. So do you suggest I call the actual University or UCAS?

Call the university. Emails usually don't do much; if you want something done you're better speaking to someone in person. UCAS won't have any details on this and will only tell you what you've been told here.
Reply 8

I was in the same position as you last year. It depends really, are you happy to do another course? If you aren't, you could take a gap year and reapply and get a job to save money/go travelling and whatever, and do any retakes etc you might need to boost your grades.
Otherwise, you could go into clearing if your happy to do something else.

As for the university not responding, ring them and if they don't answer try again on another day. Be persistent and ask when a decision will be made, it shouldn't be too late to sort out accom etc as long as the uni is decently helpful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Wow, I feel so bad for you!
It would be helpful to know what universities, courses and grades you got to see maybe where you went wrong...
But I think you may have to go into clearing...
Reply 10
Original post by Loz17

Original post by Loz17
Call the university. Emails usually don't do much; if you want something done you're better speaking to someone in person. UCAS won't have any details on this and will only tell you what you've been told here.

Okay, the only reason I sent the email was because they asked me to send the email to them directly. Otherwise I could've posted them the details, but I wasn't even sure that they would receive that. By the way, you mentioned "extra" what does that involve?
Reply 11
Original post by Falcon91

Original post by Falcon91
I was in the same position as you last year. It depends really, are you happy to do another course? If you aren't, you could take a gap year and reapply and get a job to save money/go travelling and whatever, and do any retakes etc you might need to boost your grades.
Otherwise, you could go into clearing if your happy to do something else.

As for the university not responding, ring them and if they don't answer try again on another day. Be persistent and ask when a decision will be made, it shouldn't be too late to sort out accom etc as long as the uni is decently helpful.

Well, I'm applying as a mature student (I'm 23) and I don't particularly want to do another year or more and then reapply. 2 of the course that didn't accept me, were full.
Okay, the only reason I sent the email was because they asked me to send the email to them directly. Otherwise I could've posted them the details, but I wasn't even sure that they would receive that. By the way, you mentioned "extra" what does that involve?

Basically as I explained in my first post. If you hold no offers you are applicable to use a system called UCAS extra where you apply to unis one by one until you get accepted.

http://www.ucas.com/students/offers/extra
Reply 13

It's a system for people in your situation, so you don't have to wait for clearing to make more applications.

That should give you everything you need.
Reply 14
Well, I'm applying as a mature student (I'm 23) and I don't particularly want to do another year or more and then reapply. 2 of the course that didn't accept me, were full.

Well if your set on that then clearing sounds like the best choice for you. But still, phone that uni and find out asap that way you can start planning ahead.
Reply 15
Original post by Loz17

Original post by Loz17
Basically as I explained in my first post. If you hold no offers you are applicable to use a system called UCAS extra where you apply to unis one by one until you get accepted.

Okay, I'll give the Uni a call in a bit and see what they say. I just want to get everything sorted 100%! lol
Okay, I'll give the Uni a call in a bit and see what they say. I just want to get everything sorted 100%! lol

Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending