Portsmouth - Calm my fears

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Helix
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi, im planning on going to portsmouth university, to study e-business. I live their and decided that moving away to another university would be the wrong decision considering that portsmouth did the course i wanted, also deciding that the amount of debt of moving away so early would not be worth it, i also chose it due to the industrial placement available in my course. I plan on completing the undergraduate course, and then going on to do a postgraduate at another university.

Firstly, what are your general opinions on portsmouth, i am keen to hear these, i have many friends who go their and have enjoyed themselves greatly, and i am aware of the good social climate in the area. But what are your impressions on portsmouth, its ranking isnt very high and this worrys me.

Secondly, will going to portsmouth affect what post graduate courses are available to me? this worrys me greatly, as i would hope to go to a respected university for my post grad, would the prestige of the university i went to affect my acceptance, or would the degree level be the primary concern.

Finally, will going to portsmouth affect my overall employment oppertunities? i am aware that employers look at the university you go to but to what degree? will doing a post graduate at a university with a higher level of respect imporve these employment prospects?

Thanks for your time.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think its more important where you study your undergrad than where you study your postgrad. It wouldnt limit you so much on the postgrad course front. I'm doing a masters at Sheffield and there are people there who have come from ex polys, it would probably rule out oxbridge tho or some of the top 10 unis for your postgrad.
Firms will look at your A Level results but I would say that some of the big grad employers wont recruit from Portsmouth I'm not 100% sure on that but thats what I've heard that there are certain unis that they wont touch.
If you can get into a top 20 uni for undergrad I would go for it, probably the amount of extra income you could make when you graduate would compensate with what you would save from living at home.
What do other people think?
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Postgrad qualifications on the whole do not really improve your employment prospects if you are looking to get into a firm at entry level. There are exceptions, I suppose, if you do very well as an undergrad. and can get into a good university and say finish in the top 5% or something and gain a distinction, then obviously that would improve your prospects a great deal. Otherwise, should you get into a good university as a postgrad., do (even) reasonably well, there's no real improvement in prospects.

Employers will go on your A level grades, your course/university standard and your classification. Everything else is extra, nothing (aside from 'underhanded' methods, perhaps) can prevent your prospective employers looking at those 3 key areas.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I have heard bad things about the HIstory course, apparently some of it is multiple choice. In regards to what you are doing, I have no idea but the lack of prestige would worry me slightly.
sparkler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i'm going to portsmouth!!
to do accounting and e-business probably!

got nothing to say about your questions though

i'd rather go somewhere thats fun but apparently crap, than somewhere thats boring and all posh and is apparently good..

hey helix, you going to the open day on the 11th or a later one or what??

kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Postgrad qualifications on the whole do not really improve your employment prospects if you are looking to get into a firm at entry level.
Well it depends, for example, I would like to return to Geneva after my studies to work for one of the international orginisations. Without a postgrad qualification my chances would be more or less non-existent. Probably not relevent to someone wishing to studying 'e-buisness' I know, but how and ever...
Helix
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
His sparkler, i agree, portsmouth is ment to be a great place for fun and stuff and i am looking forward to it in that respect.

im not going to the one on the 11th, im gonna go to the one in march.

ill have to meet up with ya somewhen.

On a separate note any one considred doing 2 undergraduates? not something im thinking of right now obvioulsy, but could be something to think of in the futre maybe - any views?
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
cool cool

i cant wait til tuesday now! got to travel 4 hours on the train though!

oh well, it's worth it!

tum te tum...
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by sparkler)
i'm going to portsmouth!!
i'd rather go somewhere thats fun but apparently crap, than somewhere thats boring and all posh and is apparently good..

Depends what you want to do after it. If you have the chance to go somewhere else higher up the league tables then you should consider it
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
uh...No!
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
fair enough
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Well it depends, for example, I would like to return to Geneva after my studies to work for one of the international orginisations. Without a postgrad qualification my chances would be more or less non-existent. Probably not relevent to someone wishing to studying 'e-buisness' I know, but how and ever...

Yeah, I see what you mean, very relevant in your case. Alongside academia, it's something I'd think about myself too.

Any idea as to what area you'd wish to work in?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.77%
Uncertainty around my education (184)
15.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (132)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (171)
14.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (52)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.69%
Loneliness (101)
8.44%
Financial worries (40)
3.34%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.77%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.68%
Lack of real life entertainment (64)
5.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (106)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (108)
9.03%

Watched Threads