The Student Room Group

Black Gun Crime

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Remember that most of this crime is committed just by black young people - not black young people in gangs. The vast majority of these people have not consciously joined a said gang, like PCD. They have simply reacted to situations with there friends, who are labeled as 'gangs' by outsiders.
Original post by damidude
Remember that most of this crime is committed just by black young people - not black young people in gangs. The vast majority of these people have not consciously joined a said gang, like PCD. They have simply reacted to situations with there friends, who are labeled as 'gangs' by outsiders.
I can understand that with knife crime, but how many ordinary members of the public would have access to firearms? :K:
Original post by ussumane
White man sells it to them. The whole 'gangsta' image in the media does not help either.

Blame the white man-Typical:rolleyes:
The question should be where are the guns coming from,and who's putting them on the street in so called Urban areas.
It's genetic.
Reply 25
Original post by whyumadtho
I can understand that with knife crime, but how many ordinary members of the public would have access to firearms? :K:

Do they put guns on the streets?
Original post by ilickbatteries
Serious post.

I'm not posting this from a racist perspective at all.

I imagine some people will assume that I am, but I am not.

Why is black gun crime so high? I don't understand why this is. Gun crime in the UK isn't exclusively black, but it seems to predominately be committed by black youths. How do they get hold of the weapons? Why are they using them? What can we do about it?

Some serious questions need to be asked about why this is affecting the black population far more than the white population. What is different between whites and blacks that results in such distorted crime figures.

Here's a link to the latest black-on-black gun incident from the BBC.

A black youth shot another because they had a fight and he was 'put in a bin' and 'humiliated' :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13962703

Hip Hop and Rap music glorifies gun crime hence why some young 'gangsters' thinks its cool
Original post by PendulumBoB

Well i don't know of any black people who own gun making factories and they never have in history.
Original post by jaydoh
Drug fueds are a big reason why people get shot and a lot of black people control the "drug scene" in the big cities, I really do think that rap music has a lot to do with it also. As I've posted in another thread, people see Tupac and BIG as some sort of martyr, even though they both ended up shot dead. People have this "live by the gun die by the gun" mentality.
Poverty and lack of role models aren't neccessarily reasons, just that people choose the wrong role models and poverty effects white people a lot also and yet there's not "that" many white people shot dead- although these days I think they're following suit.. in cities like Manchester and Liverpool.

Original post by accesstohe
I think they listen to hip hop which glorifies guns, and alot of inner city black youth don't have a rolemodel to look up to, so they want to be like the rappers on TV etc

I don't understand this whole 'role model' thing. Why is there a belief that an external role model is required for success? I think, jaydoh, you are exaggerating the extent to which gangster rap plays an influence; I don't feel people 'look up' to any specific member and attempt to emulate their activities by any means - perhaps the general lyrics in the genre reinforce and normalise an individual's existing views, but this cannot be traced back to any specific artist. In the absence of domestic role models, people are at full liberty to follow their own path in life or choose what they want to be, which is why not all people from broken families who listen to gangster rap end up as gangsters. I would suggest it plays a negligible role in an individual's decision in life; somebody failing at school will not become a criminal because of gangster rap, but they may become a criminal because they have found unfavourable characters who offer them 'friendship'. Very, very few people actively seek to join a gang to swear some sort of loyalty to their area or an assumed duty to the 'cause'. It is typically a dynamic process formulated by a lack of self-determination, failed education/parenting and the presence of inauspicious socioeconomic surroundings.

A role model is not necessary for success and it doesn't have to be another 'black' person.
Reply 29
I live in a town with loads of gun crime, and it's all done by white males. The town I live in is pretty deprived. Says it all really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Do they put guns on the streets?
Does who put guns on the streets? :confused:

I think guns are diffused into the general public through the criminal hierarchy, where the disparity between postcode/estate gangs and organised criminal entities is bridged by family relationships between members of the two groups. It is also possible that organised criminal entities are present in a residential area and a cousin/brother of a member tells their friends that guns are available from a certain person. It is very unlikely that an ordinary member of the public would need to use guns as defence, as it is superfluous; and when used as offence, would suggest there is a deep-rooted problem that likely extends beyond two people.
Reply 31
Original post by PendulumBoB

If the white man caused the problem, is there any reason why we shouldn't?
Reply 32
Just a thought. Surely if poverty is the cause then why is there not far more white gun crime?
Reply 33
Original post by JaiiStarh
The question should be where are the guns coming from,and who's putting them on the street in so called Urban areas.

Lol your sig is ****ing hillarious! +rep
Reply 34
Original post by Aj12
Just a thought. Surely if poverty is the cause then why is there not far more white gun crime?

There's actually more knife crime amongst white males, but like i said above. Gun crime is not exclusive to blacks.
Reply 35
This is a pretty difficult topic to talk on without getting neg repped to hell...
Lack of male role models/father figures, poverty, and a general peer pressure to "not act white."
Original post by U.S Lecce
Lol your sig is ****ing hillarious! +rep

:biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by whyumadtho
I don't understand this whole 'role model' thing. Why is there a belief that an external role model is required for success? I think, jaydoh, you are exaggerating the extent to which gangster rap plays an influence; I don't feel people 'look up' to any specific member and attempt to emulate their activities by any means - perhaps the general lyrics in the genre reinforce and normalise an individual's existing views, but this cannot be traced back to any specific artist. In the absence of domestic role models, people are at full liberty to follow their own path in life or choose what they want to be, which is why not all people from broken families who listen to gangster rap end up as gangsters. I would suggest it plays a negligible role in an individual's decision in life; somebody failing at school will not become a criminal because of gangster rap, but they may become a criminal because they have found unfavourable characters who offer them 'friendship'. Very, very few people actively seek to join a gang to swear some sort of loyalty to their area or an assumed duty to the 'cause'. It is typically a dynamic process formulated by a lack of self-determination, failed education/parenting and the presence of inauspicious socioeconomic surroundings.

A role model is not necessary for success and it doesn't have to be another 'black' person.

I totally agree, what's everyones obsession with role models? They hardly influnce **** all.
If the white man caused the problem, is there any reason why we shouldn't?

Blck man turns to gun crime, but it's the white mans fault, good system for those with skin pigmentation.
Reply 39
Original post by Aj12

Indeed. Half of all black people live in relative poverty, that is at max 600,000 people. 20% of all white people in this country live in relative poverty, that is 10 milion. 60% of Pakistani British people live in relative poverty, that is 600,000 too. (http://www.poverty.org.uk/06/index.shtml)

Furthermore the majority of black gun crime is committed by those of Afro-Caribbean origin, who have lower poverty rates than standard African descendants.

Poverty is an excuse that people like to hide behind. It may well explain a higher level of economic related crime, but it cannot explain why blacks commit 7x more crime than their relative population levels, and why whites in a similar situation aren't even half as bad. Nor does it explain why over 2/3 of those convicted of gang rape are black (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/gang-rape-is-it-a-race-issue-1711381.html). It's not like people wake up and think 'O I can't afford an ipod i'm gonna go meet up with all my mates who can't afford ipods and rape someone'. Poverty in this country is a joke any way. No one starves, and mothers with children rarely if ever end up homeless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending