The Student Room Group

Black Gun Crime

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I believe that it is due to lack of positive role models. You don't even need to look around the UK to see lack of black doctor lawyers etc. Black people are even lucky enough to be sainsbury managers let alone higher professionals in this countries. Even the black people who are doing well in this country are not noticed such as Bernie grant or Trevor Phillips. We see white famous people everywhere around the world and the UK. This country needs to help black people and motivate them to do well in life and not look at guns, knives drugs etc to get glorified or have a reputation. I Hate it when i hear another black male that could have done well in life gets shot OR STABBED over some dub disputation. and I HATE it even more when I hear a black male as done. They don't know that they are killing the own race.

Although, I Loathe the way the media shows black people as "Monsters" which is mostly the only time that they will be on the news . Did you know that 80% of convicted paedophiles are white. I bet that Is Not On The News is it???
Original post by tufc
Give the prison officers balaclavas then, disguise their identity.
It doesn't stop people on the outside attacking indiscriminately any prison officer who leaves the premises. The cost of ensuring 24/7 protection for all prison officers and their friends/families cannot be met with the government budget. Have you ever heard of blackmail? Release me or I'll kill your daughter. Have you ever heard of bribery? Release me and I'll pay you £1 million.

You are working on the idea that all prisoners are homeless. They're not. Many have reasonably comfortable lives outside jail, but commit crime so that they can buy a TV, or drugs.
2010 figures reveal 60% of prisoners reoffend because it is 'somewhere to live'.

Exactly. They relapse into criminality because they are sent back to a criminal environment. Cause must be tackled before effect.

Same principle.
No. One has at-point consequences, the other has life-long consequences.

Why do we need rewards? They work, they eat, they don't work, they don't eat.
What is the incentive to remain complacent? It is impossible for a few staff to control a prison full of vengeful criminals. Prisoners are cunning; they will find a way to get back.

I wonder how Prisons heating bills cost, while pensioners who have worked hard all their lives shiver in their homes.
Answer my question.

How would the state finance maximum security for every detention centre in the country, including juvenile detention centres?

Give them balaclavas, and keep the prisoners cuffed. That's an ultimate removal of freedom, something you seem to be all for...
And a prison officer is acting as the arm of the state
The prisoners will corroborate and attack the guards. Simply having handcuffs is not enough to stop assaults and shanks from being crafted.

The word socio-economic is used to refer to a demographic, not an individual.

'DefinitionRelating to or concerned with the interaction of social and economic factors

But why make it nice for them once they've been caught?
So they can reintegrate after release. Not all crimes are premeditated, and the person may have suffered from a lapse in judgement and rationality. Stop presupposing everyone is rational when making decisions.

Make prison a fusion then. You get a two year sentence, you spend 6 months up at the crack of dawn, breaking rocks, cold, tired, hungry. Then you put them in education programmes, in different accommodation, with adequate food and comfort, where if they don't work hard, they return to breaking rocks.
A prisoner doesn't care about trying to ameliorate their circumstances after being tortured. The only thing on their minds is revenge. They are going to kill someone, because they know that:

Prisons are overcrowded, and the more people in prison, the easier it is to attack the guards

Once a prison teacher is dead, there will be fewer and fewer people willing to take their place - the education system would fail and we are stuck in a cycle of reoffending prisoners.

The cause must be tackled before the effect.

Tiers are in place with the express purpose of ensuring prisoners do not become used to certain punishments. Pulling a rock will eventually become mundane and workable, and no longer act as a deterrent.

I'm not talking about putting people on the rack. I'm just talking about make their lives hard. If they work hard, and break rocks, they won't be flogged. If they slack off, they get flogged.
My questions were not rhetorical. In states where the prison system has similar circumstances that you propose are enforced here, why are there still such high incidences of crime? Do you not notice a trend between poor socioeconomic circumstances and propensity to commit crime?

And you've just defeated your own point. When they kill someone, they have no rationality, so there is no rationality for them to lose in prison.
Stop presupposing a permanent dichotomy. Somebody acting irrational in the heat of the moment does not means they are constantly irrational. Whereas they may have killed someone who was responsible for the death of a best friend, it doesn't mean they will kill everyone. Once they leave prison, their outlooks may change.

No it's not. I'm trying to work out what your ideas are on criminals' value in society.
This discussion pertains to the treatment of prisoners, not criminals in general.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by whyumadtho
You didn't answer this:

Consider what you are suggesting: prisoners want their basic needs of shelter, food and water met. Even if the gruelling punishments you are suggesting were initiated, people would still reoffend because it is better than sitting on the streets in the cold having nothing to do at all. Do you think they care if they have to pull rocks? Having a bed, food and water is better than being at the mercy of the climate and people's charity when homeless.

I did answer that. My answer was that most prisoners are not homeless. Most prisoners have a bed, food and water. They just commit crime to pay for luxuries.

It doesn't stop people on the outside attacking indiscriminately any prison officer who leaves the premises. The cost of ensuring 24/7 protection for all prison officers and their friends/families cannot be met with the government budget. Have you ever heard of blackmail? Release me or I'll kill your daughter. Have you ever heard of bribery? Release me and I'll pay you £1 million.

Prisons used to be a lot harsher, and there was no evidence then of criminals going after prison officers when they got out, as they knew whatever they did to that prison officer, another would just replace them, and they'd be back to a nasty prison, where they'd be treated even worse because the screws would know they'd killed a fellow prison officer.

No. One has at-point consequences, the other has life-long consequences.
No, both act as a deterrent for the future.

What is the incentive to remain complacent? It is impossible for a few staff to control a prison full of vengeful criminals. Prisoners are cunning; they will find a way to get back.
If we cut the heating bill for prisons, and the food bill, we would be able to afford more prison officers. Also, I don't think it's impossible for a relatively small number of prison officers to control a large number of prisoners. If the prisoners each have their own cell, and are handcuffed whenever they are out of it, they will struggle to engineer an escape, or even cause trouble. And I'd just give the guards tasers

Answer my question.

How would the state finance maximum security for every detention centre in the country, including juvenile detention centres?

Because it's not that expensive. Keep them cuffed when they're out their cells, give the regular prison officers tasers, and have armed guards at the exits.

The prisoners will corroborate and attack the guards. Simply having handcuffs is not enough to stop assaults and shanks from being crafted.

How on earth would a prisoner craft a shank with handcuffs on?

'DefinitionRelating to or concerned with the interaction of social and economic factors

There's no point arguing about a word, that has different meanings in different contexts.

So they can reintegrate after release. Not all crimes are premeditated, and the person may have suffered from a lapse from a lapse in judgement and rationality. Stop presupposing everyone is rational when making decisions.

Make the prison horrible, and next time they lose their rationality, they will instinctively know what not to do.

A prisoner doesn't care about trying to ameliorate their circumstances after being tortured. The only thing on their minds is revenge. They are going to kill someone, because they know that:

Prisons are overcrowded, and the more people in prison, the easier it is to attack the guards

Once a prison teacher is dead, there will be fewer and fewer people willing to take their place - the education system would fail and we are stuck in a cycle of reoffending prisoners.

The cause must be tackled before the effect.

I'm not talking about putting them on the rack. When I was younger, and it got to the winter, I was locked out of my house in the cold a couple of times, when I got back from school as I had forgotten to take my key. But after that happened twice, it never happened again. But the summer before, I was always forgetting it, as of course waiting outside in the warm was never a problem. As soon as I was denied a key part of Maslo's Hierarchy of Needs, I learned my lesson.

My questions were not rhetorical. In states where the prison system has similar circumstances that you propose are enforced here, why are there still such high incidences of crime? Do you not notice a trend between poor socioeconomic circumstances and propensity to commit crime?

Stop presupposing a permanent dichotomy. Somebody acting irrational in the heat of the moment does not means they are constantly irrational. Whereas they may have killed someone who was responsible for the death of a best friend, it doesn't mean they will kill everyone. Once they leave prison, their outlooks may change.

They have still committed a crime, and need to learn their lesson. If they spend a year or two breaking/dragging rocks, they will not do it again. They will also spread stories when they are out of how horrific it was.

This discussion pertains to the treatment of prisoners, not criminals in general.

But you seem to think that prisoners deserve the same treatment as those members of society who stay within the law.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tufc
I did answer that. My answer was that most prisoners are not homeless. Most prisoners have a bed, food and water. They just commit crime to pay for luxuries.
2010 figures reveal 60% of prisoners reoffend because it is 'somewhere to live'.

Exactly. They relapse into criminality because they are sent back to a criminal environment. Cause must be tackled before effect. They will not need to commit criminal acts if jobs, education and training are made available to them.

Prisons used to be a lot harsher, and there was no evidence then of criminals going after prison officers when they got out, as they knew whatever they did to that prison officer, another would just replace them, and they'd be back to a nasty prison, where they'd be treated even worse because the screws would know they'd killed a fellow prison officer.
Was there Internet, telephone, etc. facilitating instant information transfer and photographic evidence? Again, rationality goes out the window. They are already treated harshly if they kill an officer, yet people still do it. But people won't just replace them. People would become increasingly reluctant if the potential reprisals become too severe. Look at inter-prisoner crime; now imagine if there was a new collective enemy.

No, both act as a deterrent for the future.
In substantially different ways. So much so, they are incomparable.

If we cut the heating bill for prisons, and the food bill, we would be able to afford more prison officers. Also, I don't think it's impossible for a relatively small number of prison officers to control a large number of prisoners. If the prisoners each have their own cell, and are handcuffed whenever they are out of it, they will struggle to engineer an escape, or even cause trouble. And I'd just give the guards tasers
Then you would have to pay for the cost of malnutrition, coats for prison staff, CCTV, armed guards, supervisors, etc. It will cost too much for everyone in every category of prison to have their own cell. The whole point of prison tiers is that not everyone needs the same punishment to act as a deterrent, because not every crime is equal in severity. How would you stop external influence - I could be a good friend of a prisoner and join the officer service with the express purpose of allowing a revolt to occur.

How would you deal with those who have psychological illnesses, especially considering sustained abuse substantially increases the incidences of psychological problems?
Because it's not that expensive. Keep them cuffed when they're out their cells, give the regular prison officers tasers, and have armed guards at the exits.
Yeah, it really is expensive. :rolleyes: Maximum security units for juveniles? Giant eyesores on the landscape? It is impossible to finance this, which is why a petty thief is not put in a category A prison: there is no need to pay so much to deter them from reoffending.

You don't deal well with pragmatic propositions, do you?

How on earth would a prisoner craft a shank with handcuffs on?
In the 'education period' you are proposing, do you believe it is not possible to formulate and use a shank?

There's no point arguing about a word, that has different meanings in different contexts.
You are wrong. Don't tell me I don't know what 'socioeconomic' means. :h:

Make the prison horrible, and next time they lose their rationality, they will instinctively know what not to do.
You don't know what 'rationality' entails, do you? :rolleyes: It means logic, or consequences are not considered at all.

I'm not talking about putting them on the rack. When I was younger, and it got to the winter, I was locked out of my house in the cold a couple of times, when I got back from school as I had forgotten to take my key. But after that happened twice, it never happened again. But the summer before, I was always forgetting it, as of course waiting outside in the warm was never a problem. As soon as I was denied a key part of Maslo's Hierarchy of Needs, I learned my lesson.
Being cold is not the same as being in a gang, starving on the streets, being under extreme duress, etc. Stop comparing weak scenarios with prison. :sigh:

They have still committed a crime, and need to learn their lesson. If they spend a year or two breaking/dragging rocks, they will not do it again. They will also spread stories when they are out of how horrific it was.
Answer the following: In states where the prison system has similar circumstances that you propose are enforced here, why are there still such high incidences of crime?

Why, despite the horror stories about rape and abuse in foreign prisons, do people still reoffend? Why are the crime rates not falling?

But you seem to think that prisoners deserve the same treatment as those members of society who stay within the law.
They clearly don't have the same rights as a normal member of the state. :rolleyes: Having years of your life taken away, alienation, limits on job prospects and stigma until death is not similar to normal members of society, is it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84

Exactly. They relapse into criminality because they are sent back to a criminal environment. Cause must be tackled before effect. They will not need to commit criminal acts if jobs, education and training are made available to them.

Was there Internet, telephone, etc. facilitating instant information transfer and photographic evidence? Again, rationality goes out the window. They are already treated harshly if they kill an officer, yet people still do it. But people won't just replace them. People would become increasingly reluctant if the potential reprisals become too severe. Look at inter-prisoner crime; now imagine if there was a new collective enemy.

In substantially different ways. So much so, they are incomparable.

Then you would have to pay for the cost of malnutrition, coats for prison staff, CCTV, armed guards, supervisors, etc. It will cost too much for everyone in every category of prison to have their own cell. The whole point of prison tiers is that not everyone needs the same punishment to act as a deterrent, because not every crime is equal in severity. How would you stop external influence - I could be a good friend of a prisoner and join the officer service with the express purpose of allowing a revolt to occur.

How would you deal with those who have psychological illnesses, especially considering sustained abuse substantially increases the incidences of psychological problems?
Yeah, it really is expensive. :rolleyes: Maximum security units for juveniles? Giant eyesores on the landscape? It is impossible to finance this, which is why a petty thief is not put in a category A prison: there is no need to pay so much to deter them from reoffending.

You don't deal well with pragmatic propositions, do you?

In the 'education period' you are proposing, do you believe it is not possible to formulate and use a shank?

You are wrong. Don't tell me I don't know what 'socioeconomic' means. :h:

You don't know what 'rationality' entails, do you? :rolleyes: It means logic, or consequences are not considered at all.

Being cold is not the same as being in a gang, starving on the streets, being under extreme duress, etc. Stop comparing weak scenarios with prison. :sigh:

Answer the following: In states where the prison system has similar circumstances that you propose are enforced here, why are there still such high incidences of crime?

Why, despite the horror stories about rape and abuse in foreign prisons, do people still reoffend? Why are the crime rates not falling?

They clearly don't have the same rights as a normal member of the state. :rolleyes: Having years of your life taken away, alienation, limits on job prospects and stigma until death is not similar to normal members of society, is it?

We're going round and round in circles, this will be my final, and much briefer reply.
The reason people reoffend in countries where they have a brutal prison system is desperation, as these countries often don't have very developed welfare systems, thus crimes are committed out of desperation.

I wouldn't have to pay for treating malnutrition at all - if the prisoners don't work, they don't eat, and if they don't eat, they starve. Basically, if they don't work, they starve - their choice.

Screws have always been the enemies of prisoners. That is declining now because we give prisoners luxuries. But we should not compromise the purpose of the prison system just to make prison officers' jobs easier. And one prison officer with a taser and the power to whip prisoners is as powerful as ten prison officers with no weapons, and no option of recourse, apart from taking away luxuries.
Reply 85
Poverty is a huge part of it - there are very few opportunities if you're unlucky enough to be born into it. Plus the lack of positive role models and no father figure, people turn to their mates etc and end up in gangs. Guns are glorifed in hip hop culture and that becomes the way of life.
To lower gun crime, you have to break the cycle which is VERY difficult.
Original post by tufc
We're going round and round in circles, this will be my final, and much briefer reply.
The reason people reoffend in countries where they have a brutal prison system is desperation, as these countries often don't have very developed welfare systems, thus crimes are committed out of desperation.
You've said it yourself. Irrespective of how brutal the prison is, if the individual's external circumstances are terrible, they will relapse into criminality. Desperation and misguidance leads to crime. People in those countries can start a business; they don't have to rape and murder, yet they do anyway! They do not care about the severity of the prison system.

I wouldn't have to pay for treating malnutrition at all - if the prisoners don't work, they don't eat, and if they don't eat, they starve. Basically, if they don't work, they starve - their choice.
Then how will food costs be cut if they can still eat to the same extent? :erm:

Screws have always been the enemies of prisoners. That is declining now because we give prisoners luxuries. But we should not compromise the purpose of the prison system just to make prison officers' jobs easier. And one prison officer with a taser and the power to whip prisoners is as powerful as ten prison officers with no weapons, and no option of recourse, apart from taking away luxuries.
No, it's not. As I said, abused people become used to the most severe of punishments. They become angry and disillusioned, with an unbreakable veil of fury at the justice system. They will hate society. A prisoner who went in for theft will hate society. A teenager who got caught up with the wrong people will hate society. A generation of mentally defective, enraged people will be sent out of prison - society will be much worse with such entities being given free reign. A distinction of prison freedoms is made because of expense, and the separation of dangerous and influential prisoners from less dangerous and influential prisoners. If an established criminal now has a whole team of angry teenagers to take under their wing, the societal threat is increased considerably.
Reply 87
Original post by accesstohe
I think they listen to hip hop which glorifies guns, and alot of inner city black youth don't have a rolemodel to look up to, so they want to be like the rappers on TV etc

I listen to a lot of hip hop but im a pussy white boy. saying all hip hop music is about guns is like saying indie music is all about skinny jeans.
Original post by TWF
Relative poverty rates are the answer. And from that you can trace back to other things.

There are far more poor white people in the country than there are poor black people, but the skew in gun crime towards the black community still exists.

Original post by ussumane
White man sells it to them. The whole 'gangsta' image in the media does not help either.

You have got to be kidding me. Blame white people... that's pretty dumb. People need to take responsibility rather than making excuses.
Original post by adam_zed
I listen to a lot of hip hop but im a pussy white boy. saying all hip hop music is about guns is like saying indie music is all about skinny jeans.

Yeh but you probably have a positive rolemodel in your life? These kids worship 50 cent etc
Reply 90
Yeh but you probably have a positive rolemodel in your life? These kids worship 50 cent etc

Yeah, the cast of "the only way is essex",

you cant "guess" the motivations of all black, inner city, rap listening kids anymore than you can categorize and guess the motivations of JLS listening, 12 year old girls in Slough.
I don't think so. You greatly overestimate the role of music in people's lives. Why does someone need a role model to become successful? Why would someone idolise an American rapper whose wealth was clearly attained from his music, as opposed to his past criminal life?
Reply 92
Original post by PendulumBoB
Blck man turns to gun crime, but it's the white mans fault, good system for those with skin pigmentation.

Hold on, it sounds like you're saying that there is no situation where the white man can influence the black man's actions
Original post by damidude
Hold on, it sounds like you're saying that there is no situation where the white man can influence the black man's actions

So, if a black man shoots someone, you believe that it's somehow the fault of the whiteman?
Reply 94
Original post by Jono404
It's definitely a problem that needs addressing, I'll probably get negged for this but it just seems so many more black males are willing to conform to a stereotype than say, study hard, earn a degree and make their way out of poverty. It's a cultural issue rather than a racial one though.

Im a Black Male. Ive studied tirelessly hard over the last 2 years and i am predicted at the very least A*AB. Compared to you i assume i am in relative poverty. But dont give me all this rubbish its a cultural issue, many of my black peers are in fact doing better then me, its a poverty/oportunity issue, not our 'culture'.
Reply 95
Original post by Jono404
It's definitely a problem that needs addressing, I'll probably get negged for this but it just seems so many more black males are willing to conform to a stereotype than say, study hard, earn a degree and make their way out of poverty. It's a cultural issue rather than a racial one though.

There is very little willingness about it, unfortunately some people are not as fortunate to be brought up in areas where good education is offered thus allowing them to get good GCSE's (which are highly determined by the school you attended and thus the area you live) and therefore go onto good colleges and get good enough A levels to go to universities. If you look at white people, or any other racial group in a deprived area you will also see that their opportunities regarding higher education are also severely limited.
The stereotype you are commenting about is caused by the racial-economic divide we have in this country which is caused by the fact that ethnic minorities constitute, disproportionately, the lower socio-economic areas in our country. This can only be remedied by improving state schools in deprived areas and not by thinking that there is any choice in the decisions made by some who are brought up in these areas.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kaybone93
Im a Black Male. Ive studied tirelessly hard over the last 2 years and i am predicted at the very least A*AB. Compared to you i assume i am in relative poverty. But dont give me all this rubbish its a cultural issue, many of my black peers are in fact doing better then me, its a poverty/oportunity issue, not our 'culture'.
There isn't a single 'black' culture. The culture of some people of all ethnicities in consistently deprived areas tend to be removed from those outside of the area. Gang crime and disillusionment perpetuate themselves and lead to an increased number of people falling into their traps. The economic and social factors are inextricably linked.
Reply 97
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
It's genetic.

You clearly a bit of loser for coming to such a conclusion. I dont think anyone needs to even argue against such a preposterous claim.
Reply 98
There isn't a single 'black' culture. The culture of some people of all ethnicities in consistently deprived areas tend to be removed from those outside of the area. Gang crime and disillusionment perpetuate themselves and lead to an increased number of people falling into their traps. The economic and social factors are inextricably linked.

That waswhat i was basically trying to say in response to the other guy, Youve just put that more clearly and eloquently.
Reply 99
Original post by tleave2000
There are far more poor white people in the country than there are poor black people, but the skew in gun crime towards the black community still exists.

You have got to be kidding me. Blame white people... that's pretty dumb. People need to take responsibility rather than making excuses.

yeah, im kidding you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending