The Student Room Group

My 10 most overrated films ever

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
You can add Avengers to this list now.

First half was boring and was far too long than it needed to be. The action was okay but the humour was dreadful. Hardly anyone in the cinema laughed.
Original post by Jordan_1
Why? Let me guess, because you 'didn't understand it'? :rolleyes:

yeah you're right, it's so deep and profound I was struggling to make heads or tails of it :rolleyes:

it's not by any means a bad film, it's just not as good as everyone says it is
Reply 342
Original post by Revoked_Tangerine
yeah you're right, it's so deep and profound I was struggling to make heads or tails of it :rolleyes:

it's not by any means a bad film, it's just not as good as everyone says it is

So you still haven't provided any real criticism...
So you still haven't provided any real criticism...

It thinks it's about ten times cooler than it actually is, it's all style and no substance. And Quentin Tarantino cannot act for ****
Blade Runner
You can add Avengers to this list now.

First half was boring and was far too long than it needed to be. The action was okay but the humour was dreadful. Hardly anyone in the cinema laughed.

I'd say that arguably the first half was necessary. It could have been paced a bit better, but they did need to "assemble", after all.

The humour, meh. I thought it was hilarious at some parts, but some of the jokes you could spot a mile away. Still, I thought the characters and their interactions were done very well.

The action..."okay" is the best word to describe it. In a geeky way of course it's cool to see all of them fighting it out at the same time, but beyond that factor it was just more of the same explosions and alien punching-bag plot fodder.

Overall, not as fantastic or spectacular as people seem to be saying. Overrated.
Reply 346
Dark Knight is just such a piece of ****, so pretentious, it's like one of those awful 90s Nickelodeon shows where at the end every character has learnt something about morality. If people weren't so busy noshing off Heath Ledger's performance (which was highly derivative, and inferior to Jack Nicholson's) they would have spotted all it's flaws, such as the fact Bruce Wayne is so wooden I thought someone had thrown a ****ing chair onto the set whenever he was on screen.
Original post by Jono404
Dark Knight is just such a piece of ****, so pretentious, it's like one of those awful 90s Nickelodeon shows where at the end every character has learnt something about morality. If people weren't so busy noshing off Heath Ledger's performance (which was highly derivative, and inferior to Jack Nicholson's) they would have spotted all it's flaws, such as the fact Bruce Wayne is so wooden I thought someone had thrown a ****ing chair onto the set whenever he was on screen.

I agree with Jack Nicholson's Joker being better, Heath Ledger's was great I'll give him that but I can guarantee he wouldn't get as much praise had he not died. Other than that, I think it's a great film.
Everything directed by Tim Burton after Ed Wood.
1. Hunger Games. I like Jennifer Lawrence but my god, such a choppy film. Why not just make it at least a 15 and make it more violent? I couldn't even warm to any of the characters before they died. Also very difficult film to understand if you haven't read the book even though it's a fairly simple idea.
2. Avatar. With all the hype, I imagined this to blow my mind. And yes, the CGI was amazing, and I normally don't get awed by that, but the cheesy, cliche storylines just made me doze off.
3. Alice in Wonderland. (2010)- When the credits rolled I just had to sit there for a moment and figure out how I'd just spent 2 hours of my time being bored to tears. Very disappointed.
4. Inception. Far too complicated, mainly because I was so bored that I ended up not really paying much attention to it.
5. Shutter Island. Not to pick on Leo DiCaprio, but the ending became obvious about 30 minutes before it finished.
Reply 350
I didn't like the girl with the dragon tattoo
Original post by Jono404

Don't insult Bale or Ledger. Just don't. Just because they are pop culture actors. :rolleyes: Bruce Wayne isn't an animated emotional (on the outside) kind of guy. The Dark Knight is awesome. End of.
Original post by Mozzajunior
1. Hunger Games. I like Jennifer Lawrence but my god, such a choppy film. Why not just make it at least a 15 and make it more violent? I couldn't even warm to any of the characters before they died. Also very difficult film to understand if you haven't read the book even though it's a fairly simple idea.
2. Avatar. With all the hype, I imagined this to blow my mind. And yes, the CGI was amazing, and I normally don't get awed by that, but the cheesy, cliche storylines just made me doze off.
3. Alice in Wonderland. (2010)- When the credits rolled I just had to sit there for a moment and figure out how I'd just spent 2 hours of my time being bored to tears. Very disappointed.
4. Inception. Far too complicated, mainly because I was so bored that I ended up not really paying much attention to it.
5. Shutter Island. Not to pick on Leo DiCaprio, but the ending became obvious about 30 minutes before it finished.

I think Alice & Wonderland was overrated before it came out, a lot of hype, but once watched I think everyone realised it's ****.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 353
Girl with the dragon tatoo :confused:
and Scott Piligram vs the world, again WTF.
Dirty Dancing and Grease. Whenever they're on TV noone can shut their mouths about it. Personally never liked them. I just don't see the fascination. I've facepalmed so many times during those two films that i kind of just...shudder when i hear someone talking about them. Or quoting them.

Cool story for those who enjoy them, i just find them hideously overrated. Especially among other girls. Other than those, probably The Wizard Of Oz.
Reply 355
Titanic and Avatar both dragged on like hell
add The Dictator -.- sooo NOT funny. which was sad cos i felt like it could've been funny if directed well and with slightly better acting, it was just simply unnecessarily crude. only laughed a little like twice...
Original post by MrAlex95
Titanic and Avatar both dragged on like hell

Kudos for Titanic, forgot about that one.
Reply 358
Original post by Xenomorph v2.1
Slumdog Millionaire....omg british director omg danny boyle omg british film omg

Haha, we bought the DVD cos it was advertised as the "feel-good film of the year" :tongue: Not happy family viewing!!! Wouldn't call it feel-good at all actually! It has a happy ending, sure, but the journey in getting there... It's a bit like winning a raffle after being punched in the stomach. You feel better than you did, but you still don't really feel good. :s-smilie:
Reply 359
Harry Potter Deathly hallows part 1 & 2 Esspecially part 1 all they did was run through a forest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending