Pineal Gland Cyst

Watch
Puma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
After a recent MRI scan after having severe headaches the doctors found a Pineal Gland cyst about 7mm in size.

Now, I've read online all kinds of things regarding the cyst as I didn't have much time in with the doctor to discuss it. He said everything was fine.

I am looking for personal experiences from people who also have a pineal gland cyst, what have you suffered, what have you been told, what does the future hold. Anything really.

Cheers
Puma
Friar Chris
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Puma)
After a recent MRI scan after having severe headaches the doctors found a Pineal Gland cyst about 7mm in size.

Now, I've read online all kinds of things regarding the cyst as I didn't have much time in with the doctor to discuss it. He said everything was fine.

I am looking for personal experiences from people who also have a pineal gland cyst, what have you suffered, what have you been told, what does the future hold. Anything really.

Cheers
Puma
Not sure if you will get any replies or how many, because lots of people have a pineal cyst that is small and asymptomatic, and they just don't know about it - whereas cysts large enough to cause symptoms are really rather rare.

That's both the bad news and the good news, I suppose - we'll see if anyone else around has had the same problem, but at least it's not a rare or stigmatising thing; I can't remember what the actual estimate for the population was. Wikipedia says 23% of all people are estimated to have a pineal cyst of some size. Sometime this holiday I may actually find my notes for better estimates... Somewhere in that pile of paper.
Puma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Cheers for the reply.

Having read a fair bit online it seems the affects of a cyst on this gland can range from anything from a small headache to death???
Hmm, am awaiting a letter from my new doctor (the one who informed me of the cyst has retired) for another appointment (I think) and so what what the future holds.

All very daunting really.
Friar Chris
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Puma)
Cheers for the reply.

Having read a fair bit online it seems the affects of a cyst on this gland can range from anything from a small headache to death???
Hmm, am awaiting a letter from my new doctor (the one who informed me of the cyst has retired) for another appointment (I think) and so what what the future holds.

All very daunting really.
Well, it's all to do with the size of the cyst, usually.

Large ones can obscure and even block the aqueduct of Sylvius in the brain (a canal of sorts that allows cerebrospinal fluid to move freely and drain from the brain). The more it is obstructed, the worse symptoms one usually gets due to fluid (and therefore pressure) increase and other problems relating to the occlusion of the passageway.

Sounds a bit scary; as far as I know though with just headaches it's hopefully not an exceptionally large or dangerous cyst, though I can't say even if I was qualified :P. If it was shown to be dangerously large on the scan you had I'm sure you would have been immediately told and treatment quickly arranged, at least.

The Hitchhiker's Guide gives excellent guidance on the matter: 'don't panic' :P. I can imagine it'd be something I'd be quite frightened by, things in the brain are, as you say, quite daunting; but trying to stay un-stressed and the old 'keep calm and carry on' is not only a good plan, but beneficial to health... Do of course report any change in or aggravation of symptoms immediately, mind .
Teresa1953
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi yes I have a pineal cyst 7.3 & I have a constant headache balance probs blurred vision and weight loss also very tired , I'm going to a neorologist on 20april and having to pay as the nhs waiting list is 10 weeks!!i feel so ill , I have been to AE so many times ,all ok they said till I had a ct scan where it was picked up, I have seen so many things that they don't do anything for you ,that I'm beginning to get worried as I can't go on like this ,at times I can't walk , so anyone else got probs perhaps u will get back to me thanks
Teresa
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (114)
25.85%
Better than expected (92)
20.86%
Worse than expected (235)
53.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed