Will deleting my facebook account delete all messges that have been sent?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
lawbot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi.

I was under the impression that the messages would stay but the name would dispay as 'user deleted' is this true?
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lawbot)
Hi.

I was under the impression that the messages would stay but the name would dispay as 'user deleted' is this true?
If you have sent messages to other people, they will still be able to read those messages, only your display name won't show.

Sorry, but it's your own fault for sending those messages which you say can land you in court.

You'd best get apologising if you're really worried.
MangoTree
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Most probably no, especially if the receiving person has not deleted them either.
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I doubt it.

Facebook likes to hog information.
Give it a go with a new account, test it on yourself, then report back.
U.S Lecce
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why you been stalking someone?
A level Az
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
B...b...but you'll lose your two friends.
NickR92
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi.

Lol.

What message did you send anyway, we all wish to see as it is :rolleyes:
The Fez
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DarkWhite)
If you have sent messages to other people, they will still be able to read those messages, only your display name won't show.

Sorry, but it's your own fault for sending those messages which you say can land you in court.

You'd best get apologising if you're really worried.
The display name will still show, only instead of linked to their profile page it'll be just a name without a link.
The Fez
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi.

No, it will still show on people's facebook that you've sent it to under your name, only your name is no longer linked to your profile page.

Now that you've brought it up, we all want to see what it is. :cool:
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They stay. I tried this because my best guy friend turned into an absolute idiot and started saying if I didn't do things for him (non-sexual btw) he'd show people messages I sent.. which were obviously personal as he was my best mate .
Sarawrr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just change your name to the name of someone you don't like and then tag yourself in all their photos. Then they'll think it's them who sent the messages. Problem solved.

On a more serious note, we're all dying to know what you said. You can't just come on here and torture us in such a way.
MangoTree
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you permanently delete your account I'm pretty sure Facebook are legally obliged to wipe your data on their servers, so even if a name stays the recipient wont be able to prove that it was actually you
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wants to delete facebook because of sent messages..

Wants to hire someone to hack their accounts..

Sounds like someone is a lonely little stalker =]
R£SP£CT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It won't show your name, but the actual content would remain I believe.
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MangoTree)
If you permanently delete your account I'm pretty sure Facebook are legally obliged to wipe your data on their servers, so even if a name stays the recipient wont be able to prove that it was actually you
They're not, they have to delete it within a reasonable time frame (which is quite a wishy-washy term). OP, even if you delete the messages they'll still be hanging around on Facebooks servers for a while - this data can be subpoenaed by the police.
Tefhel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No it wouldn't remove them. And anyway, many people get notifications by email (including me) - so even if you could get the messages deleted (which you can't) the message would still be on their email address (if they have email alerts).
c321763
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
its not my fault for sending a picture when as soon as i click on the select file it and click picture it automatically sends UM MAYBE I WANTED TO ADD TEXT TO IT OR SOMETHING OR FIGURE THINGS OUT it wasnt even a picture of me or anyone or anything serious but that doesnt mean facebooks interface doesnt suck and IT DEFINITELY NEEDS TO BE FIXED, i could care less for people who send private information through text or something stupid or whatever us they hit send BUT I DIDNT ****ING HIT SEND YET
bigboateng_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the record, you cannot delete your Facebook account. You can deactivate it, but when you log in it will still work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.63%
I'm not sure (54)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (345)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.98%
I'm not a current university student (570)
48.47%

Watched Threads