This discussion is closed.
sneezyme
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
hey everyone. can anyone tell me more about royal holloway. i've got an offer from them for french and spanish and i've been there too and i fell in love with the place it's so beautiful. but i don't know anything about the type of people that go there? are there a mixture of different ethnic minorities like in central london? are most people snobs cos' that's what i've heard. thanx!
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
well, the main building is beautiful. the rest range from average to awful, though.

the ethnicity mix isn't as extreme as some of the other London ones...and I wouldn't say it was any more or less snobby than other good unis - there is a mix of people just like anywhere. one thing to note, though, is the sex ratio - over 70% female I heard..

another thing...Egham is, well, boring. Very little to do there and to get into central London from the uni is getting on for 1h30. It isn't the sort of place I would want to spend my student years, frankly, although the uni itself is nice enough.
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I got a UC offer from RHUL, and went to their History Open Day yesterday! Though I knew i wouldn't accept their offer, I thought I would check it out! Founders is beautiful, the McCrea Building (Humanties building) is nice. However, some other buildings (theatre) are yucky.

The people i met there were all REALLY friendly, and it was bigger there than i had thought it would be. Because all the accomodation blocks are at the back of the site, there's a real community spirit (they are building 2 more accomod blocks for Sep 2004). I was told that they are trying to fix the problem of people going home at the weekends by throwing BIG social nights. Their first one was last Saturday, and apparently the place was buzzing over the weekend!

I think it's a decent place, although it does seem rather claustrophobic despite the greenery. You could easily manage not to leave the site for a term- it's self compact.

If you like the place : go for it!
sssalsa
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
well, the main building is beautiful. the rest range from average to awful, though.

the ethnicity mix isn't as extreme as some of the other London ones...and I wouldn't say it was any more or less snobby than other good unis - there is a mix of people just like anywhere. one thing to note, though, is the sex ratio - over 70% female I heard..

another thing...Egham is, well, boring. Very little to do there and to get into central London from the uni is getting on for 1h30. It isn't the sort of place I would want to spend my student years, frankly, although the uni itself is nice enough.
EXCUSE ME!!! THE REST OF THE BUILDINGS IS BETTER THAN SOME PLACE!!! AND DUH!!! THER'S THORPE PARK RIGHT ROUND THE CORNER!!!
Emma Louise
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I've got an informal interview there next month for Maths. I don't know if I would actually want to go there though.
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by sssalsa)
EXCUSE ME!!! THE REST OF THE BUILDINGS IS BETTER THAN SOME PLACE!!!
Certainly true, I didn't imply any different.

AND DUH!!! THER'S THORPE PARK RIGHT ROUND THE CORNER!!!
Quite. But how many times a term are you really going to go?
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by sneezyme)
hey everyone. can anyone tell me more about royal holloway. i've got an offer from them for french and spanish and i've been there too and i fell in love with the place it's so beautiful. but i don't know anything about the type of people that go there? are there a mixture of different ethnic minorities like in central london? are most people snobs cos' that's what i've heard. thanx!
I went to the History open day as well, I got the impression that people were very friendly and that there is a mixture of different nationalities and most of all, ethnicities there. I saw a lot of Asian and Indian people. for instance.
starry
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
One of my friends is reading History there. They gave him a scholarship and he's enjoying it a lot. Seems to be a nice place
sssalsa
Report 17 years ago

very often i bet!! i got an annual pass last year i went almost every other week to either thorpe park /chessington, etc!
it gave me entry to all the tussaud places!
Almost Angelic
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by sneezyme)

I too got an offer recently from RH to read English. the place looks nice enough and it is part of the Univerity of London, albeit a distant one. Can anyone tell me if RH is a better second choice than say Reading University?
Almost Angelic
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
RH is a better choice than Reading University.

Gnostic: One who Knows? But how do you know? Through intuition, through experience? Through LOGIC? Or none of the above?
Almost Angelic
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
Logic dictates that I need not answer .

BTW - I've sent you a private message.

Don't know how to access it.
ammalaw
Report 17 years ago
Reading university is better the Royal Holloway. Reading was originally established as an extension to Oxford- 'nuff said
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I thought i would make it my firm offer until i visited it. Founders - is a beautiful building. My course seemed brilliant and it appeared to be one of the most highly rated ones however it felt too isolated, i honestly felt like i was in a boarding school! But i did meet some brilliant people - and can't imagine how the term 'snob's could apply to them.
Tristessa
Report 17 years ago
Hi there,

New here! Just got an offer from RH but i am not sure whether to accept or not! I hear all the time nasty comments about RH, how boring and lonely it feels. Any more comments would be appreciated cause i am actually trying to make up my mind! I wish i could go and take a look myself but i am not from the UK! Oh someone said there are many Greeks on campus??? Is it true cause i am Greek! hehe
Meeps
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tristessa)
Hi there,

New here! Just got an offer from RH but i am not sure whether to accept or not! I hear all the time nasty comments about RH, how boring and lonely it feels. Any more comments would be appreciated cause i am actually trying to make up my mind! I wish i could go and take a look myself but i am not from the UK! Oh someone said there are many Greeks on campus??? Is it true cause i am Greek! hehe
my cousin went there and i am planning to go as well! yep there are a lot of greeks there who come from Greece to study there so itl be bril for you!

people say that it is lonely there but there are around 4000 people who go there every year, so i am not sure why people say it is???? people there are brilliant, really friendly! there are also a lot of social events started by different student societies (nearly every night) to keep you occupied. there is a pool bar on the campus called Holloways and another bar/restaurant called Tommys. There is a student union bar to go to as well. Egham is a quiet place, a like countryside village with similar looking buildings as well and a lot of greenary around. but it has a high street quite nearby to shop around in plus there is a grocery store on campus as well. A lot sports facilities (something like six tennis courts, 4 football fields i think, a couple of rugby fields and a gym which is a bit dingy). of course the main building, Founders is a wicked building (although its halls are a bit crap. but there are nicer halls around like Ried and Runnymede). it will be kinda like living in a forest holiday resort as there is a lot of greenary about. 'Thorpe park theme park' and 'Chessington, world of adventures' is also nearby to provide fun. i reckon ul find it as boring as any other uni (which is never hehe lol). ul only feel clostraphobic like at any uni if you dont make friends easily, which hopefully wont happen and i very much doubt will.

Central london can take up to 40 mins to get into by train or around 20 mins by car using shortcuts to get to leicester square (which is where you will mainly go if you like clubbin).

hope that helped! just pm me if you need further help.
Tristessa
Report 17 years ago
Yay! Thanks a lot for your reply! You really are one of the few people who have something good to say about RH As u described it, it pretty much sounds as a uni that its either your "thing" or not. I mean there are folks who would probably prefer a more modern looking enviroment and obviously Founder's building only reminds them of their granny's bed time stories and strikes them as claustrophobic, while others might actually enjoy the whole Harry Potter scenere and feel confortable in such an enviroment. The thing is that in both cases, either u like the enviroment or not, after a while you probably get used to Founders and makes no impression to you, so i guess uni life is how u make it. If you are determined to have fun and meet new people and mix urself with all sorts of social happenings like the union, then who or what can stop u right? Even in the place of ur dreams u have to work towards having fun, noone will come and make it work for u if u just lie there in ur own world.
I guess for me RH will be ok cause i am a bit obsessed about Harry Potter(stupid reason i know hehe)and the whole Founders type looking uni excites my imagination. Let us hope i am right
Once again thanks for ur reply xxx write more if u can bother and i will answer!

ps: Do u know if there are internet connections available at the halls? Especially Founders cause thats where i will be staying. I am an internet addict, i must have my laptop with me 24/7, computer centres are just not ENOUGH!!! lol
oh_sweet_surrey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hi, Tristessa! I'm going to RHUL as well! Which course are ya gonna do??
Tristessa
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by oh_sweet_surrey)
Hi, Tristessa! I'm going to RHUL as well! Which course are ya gonna do??

Drama, u ?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.77%
Uncertainty around my education (184)
15.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (132)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (171)
14.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (52)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.69%
Loneliness (101)
8.44%
Financial worries (40)
3.34%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.77%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.68%
Lack of real life entertainment (64)
5.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (106)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (108)
9.03%

Watched Threads