The Student Room Group

Any Birmingham medics?

I know the requirement is 8A*s or 8.5 now, was wondering whether they have to be in particular subjects such as maths, english and triple science or just 8 A*s and you're okay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
According to the wiki:

Maths: A
English: A
Science: AAA

Special notes
At least 8A*. A good range of GCSE subjects with high grades expected. Candidates who have already achieved AAA at A2 can apply with at least 5A*s. Those who have already achieved AAB must have at least 7A*s. Some applicants have been told by the admissions office that 8A*s is now the minimum requirement regardless of whether A levels have been achieved or not.

This was correct as for 2011 entry, might have changed for 2012 entry!
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
According to the wiki:

This was correct as for 2011 entry, might have changed for 2012 entry!

Ah that's good ! Thank youu so much :biggrin:
A bit off the topic, but was wondering which one would be better to follow reguarly student BMJ or BMJ?
Reply 3
Original post by Cleoleo
A bit off the topic, but was wondering which one would be better to follow reguarly student BMJ or BMJ?

I replied to your question in the other thread about this, just now. :p:
Original post by Cleoleo

Original post by Cleoleo
Ah that's good ! Thank youu so much :biggrin:

Neither. None of them are particularly of use/at the level of a pre-fresher.
I went to the open day, here's the deal;

7A*s minimum
Preferred in English, Maths and Science

Will be flexible, may give A*AA offer instead of standard AAA if there are certain weaknesses.
Reply 6
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

which journals would you recommend? :tongue:
Original post by Cleoleo

Original post by Cleoleo
which journals would you recommend? :tongue:

To be honest, I never read any journals (and still don't :colondollar:) so I don't really know what's out there.

Most people who do read journals just say to stick with BBC news etc :dontknow:
Reply 8
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

At my level I think I've found only 3 interesting, relevant articles in my 2 years of glancing-every-now-and-again-at-the-homepage... :p:
Birmingham medic here. Officially it's 7A*s, it seems to be that unofficially only those with 8A*s, or seemingly more as competition gets tougher, are being considered. Of course, that all depends on your work experience, extra curricular things (bham is big on extra curricular activities), and interview.
And...erm, I dip into BMJ occasionally, but not regularly :P. It's more interesting as opposed to helpful in getting you through pre-clinical years...but probably helpful in future.
Hope this helps.
Reply 10
Read Birmingham website for this year's requirement.A* in English Maths and Science at GCSE.High AS level result on top of 7 A* at GCSE.In practicality minimum 8 A*.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Birmingham are throwing another curve ball this year where they are now looking at both GCSE's/PS and AS grades...
Reply 12
Original post by gozatron
Birmingham are throwing another curve ball this year where they are now looking at both GCSE's/PS and AS grades...

urgh AS grades... whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Reply 13
Original post by Beska
According to the wiki:

Wouldn't it be a risk applying to B'ham with A's in maths, english and science, when they've said they prefer if candidates have A* in these subjects?
Reply 14
Original post by liviaaa
Wouldn't it be a risk applying to B'ham with A's in maths, english and science, when they've said they prefer if candidates have A* in these subjects?

If they said they prefer it then yes, it would be a risk. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Beska

Yes, it says so on the website. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Beska

what about applying with not all As at AS as they will apparently show preference to those with good AS's ?
Reply 17
Original post by Cleoleo
what about applying with not all As at AS as they will apparently show preference to those with good AS's ?

That would also be risky. :smile:
Reply 18
anyone know where info about birmingham 2012 entry can be found? Didn't go to the open day and tried looking on their website but no luck :/

Thank you!
Original post by Beska

To the contrary, I know many people (not exaggerating when I say many, I mean 6/7 ) who have got in with As in English and/or Maths (not science).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending