WAt do u think is better grammar school or fast track class???

Watch
This discussion is closed.
IZZY!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
currently i am studying in public comprehensive school in year 10, doing my GCSEs, my skool has 38 as GCSE 5A*-C results , but though i am studying in fast track class, which selects 30% of top ability from all the students in the school. But i am thinking wat is better-grammar school or my fast track class.and also there is nor any grammar school in my borough, maybe some of brainy students study wiv me in my fast track class, i am not sure. Plz advise me-wat is better grammar schools or my fast track class??and also i am studying in top sets,except of english.
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Although I am vehemently opposed to Grammars, if you are looking to go solely on the basis of range of ability, Grammar schools are supposed to take the top 25% of ability.
Admittedly this is seldom the case in my area.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Although I am vehemently opposed to Grammars, if you are looking to go solely on the basis of range of ability, Grammar schools are supposed to take the top 25% of ability.
I was always all for grammars myself. Mainly because the guys who acted like jerks at primary school ended up at the local comp.
but it's all changed now anyway. the grammar schools have been totally underfunded, whereas the comps have been given shed loads of money. result is like comparing a 3rd world country to japan (in terms of facilities)
god im glad im at uni
J
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
I was always all for grammars myself. Mainly because the guys who acted like jerks at primary school ended up at the local comp.
but it's all changed now anyway. the grammar schools have been totally underfunded, whereas the comps have been given shed loads of money. result is like comparing a 3rd world country to japan (in terms of facilities)
god im glad im at uni
J
I suspect that Grammars won't last 20 more years.
IZZY!
Rep:
?
i think same as you, but in my borough wqe dont have grammar schools, my school is the only skool which has fast track classes. And also this fast track classes gain 100% at gcse 5A*-C pass
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by IZZY!)
i think same as you, but in my borough wqe dont have grammar schools, my school is the only skool which has fast track classes. And also this fast track classes gain 100% at gcse 5A*-C pass
i dont see the problem with going to a normal high school like most kids do and getting good grades - people get the impression that its a big hinderance or something.

You would get more respect for getting A*'s/A's at GCSE by having to use some initiative and putting up with the slight distractions at a high school, which is part of the experience in a way.

I got good gcse grades from a comprehensive and i am pretty thick anyway, so it is not by all means tough - as long as you want to get good grades.
kita
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
i dont see the problem with going to a normal high school like most kids do and getting good grades - people get the impression that its a big hinderance or something.

You would get more respect for getting A*'s/A's at GCSE by having to use some initiative and putting up with the slight distractions at a high school, which is part of the experience in a way.

I got good gcse grades from a comprehensive and i am pretty thick anyway, so it is not by all means tough - as long as you want to get good grades.
I go to a grammar school, and the local comps, people do get dragged down with people who just dont wanna work and not all schools have this fast track system. I agree it is probably more valuable to a certain degree to have good gcses and a comp school, cos generally they would have to work harder to avoid distractions. I know this isnt always the case tho
IZZY!
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)

i agree with you, but my secondary school is not so good, only 38% have got 5 A*-C, although this pupils are all in fast track classes. in my skool only 30%of pupils r in fast track, another pupils r in upper band and middle band. so that means 30%of fast track students get 5A*-C.
but anyway i think grammar skools are better cuz they get more funding and teaching there is good
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kita)
I go to a grammar school, and the local comps, people do get dragged down with people who just dont wanna work and not all schools have this fast track system. I agree it is probably more valuable to a certain degree to have good gcses and a comp school, cos generally they would have to work harder to avoid distractions. I know this isnt always the case tho
1) All Comps are streamed.
2) Grammars drag down Comps.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by IZZY!)
i agree with you, but my secondary school is not so good, only 38% have got 5 A*-C, although this pupils are all in fast track classes. in my skool only 30%of pupils r in fast track, another pupils r in upper band and middle band. so that means 30%of fast track students get 5A*-C.
but anyway i think grammar skools are better cuz they get more funding and teaching there is good
1) 38% is expected of a Comp seeing as in contains all abilities.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kita)
yes i agree, there are pricks who waste time - hence, respect for using initiative etc to get the good grades.
kita
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
1) All Comps are streamed.
2) Grammars drag down Comps.
erm, no theyre not, the local boys one in my area isnt.
And how exactly do grammars drag down comps?
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by IZZY!)
well obviously, that goes without saying, you are at an advantage going to a grammar school in terms of education, because class sizes r smaller, kids work hard and the teachers teach properly.
kita
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
well obviously, that goes without saying, you are at an advantage going to a grammar school in terms of education, because class sizes r smaller, kids work hard and the teachers teach properly.
nope not always smaller, we still have 30-32 kids or so in each form....
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kita)
i think what he means, is that grammars devalue comprehensive education because it makes it seem worse. e.g.) "that comp school gets crap grades compared to that nice grammar school" etc.

although i could be wrong bout what bigcnee meant.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kita)
Which school is a grammar and not streamed?

Grammars divert teachers and good-students from Comps, thus meaning less-funding and poor results.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kita)
u know what i am on about...
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kita)
i was talking in a general sense, i thought it was obvious.

i cant pass judgement comparing 1 grammar to 1 comp when there are thousands.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
It hardly goes without saying. It depends which area you live in. The presence of multiple (or sometimes just one) Grammar in an area is very destructive to the local education system.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Which school is a grammar and not streamed?

Grammars divert teachers and good-students from Comps, thus meaning less-funding and poor results.
thats a nice point there.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads