WAt do u think is better grammar school or fast track class???

Watch
This discussion is closed.
SsEe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There's only one grammar school anywhere within miles of where I live (about 10 miles away). They select based on location which is gay. I was going to do the 11+ but just didn't bother showing up as I knew I wouldn't get in no matter how well I'd done.

Thus, local comprehensives are the only option for intelligent people in my area. In an average class we have a few of the people who should've gone to the grammar school and can walk the lesson in their sleep, a bulk of average people who can cope and the slightly dim people who don't have a clue (just barely made it into the top set but shouldn't really be there). My school teaches to the standard of the bulk of the class and gives extra help to the lower students but does absoulutely nothing for more advanced ones (though they claim they do in the brochure for prospective students...)

The closest equivalent for a fast track class I've been in is my further maths group. There are only 3 of us. We have lessons in the deputy head's office which is quite nice . It does help so much being with people who want to get on with the work and don't struggle to keep up. I say fast track is better.
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
in dorset the system is a bit strange becasue there are 3 LEA's in one county (bournemouth, poole and Dorset). Both Bournmeouth and Poole have the grammar school system and the comps are a bit crap but it gets a bit complicated because dorset doesn't do the grammar system and does first, middle and uppers but there are quite a few people that still try and get into the grammar schools in poole. This leaves a mixed system where the majority of "clever" people can't be naffed with the gramar test in dorset so the comps are fairly good. However, there is still a significant number leaving the system to go to the grammar schools.

The stange thing is though that my friends that went to the grammars would have probably done better at the comps because their grades wern't great adn they said that unless you were in the top sets at the grammar school you were virtually ignored
priya
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
fast track is better in the sense that the people in your group will actually want to work, and be of the same ability as you. in my grammar school for gcse, although we were streamed for everything, because some of the kids refused to work, it dragged the rest of the set down.
kellywood_5
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went to a comprehensive (still do, I'm just in the sixth form now) and got 10 A*-C grades at GCSE. As long as your school and teachers are reasonably good, you have the intelligence and ability to succeed and you work hard, you can still do well. Obviously at a grammar school, where everyone or amost everyone gers 5 or more A*-C grades, there's a lot more pressure on you to do well and not as many idiots who disrupt the class, so you may find you do better.
Cellardore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'm recently at a Grammar`School and i have to say that the teaching was far more better than that at my previous Comprehensive school. They're in a completely different league some of them and you end up naturally getting into the frame of mind they are. Unlike at my previous Comprehensive we had the most rubbish science teachers and the only chance you had of getting a decent mark is if you were in the top sets whereas in Grammars they're mixed.

Mind you, i do think that Grammars are little over-rated as not everyone got As and Bs in our year (which was exspected of us) some got Es and Ds (AS- Level)
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was educated up to sixth form level in a comprehensive school. I kind of wish i hadn't been, because i could have fufilled my potential more in an environment where people actually wanted to learn. Still i did very well up until sixth form. In my opinion streaming works best for the most academically able, comprehensive education works best for people who don't quite fit into the academic mould as well. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
kiaora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think there should be grammar schools in every area. the one near where i live is extremely over subscribed - why? - because its so good. they should be extended so more people can have the opportunity to attend one. the comprehensives could then be improved to make sure they cater for the other pupils not suited to grammar schools, and because they would no longer have such a wide ability range of pupils, their teaching could be more focused on helping the academically less able, the curriculum could be tailored to suit their needs, and they could have the opportunity to do more vocational stuff if thats what they wanted.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (62)
19.38%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.06%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.44%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.88%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.56%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.06%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.75%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.5%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads