The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying for German and working on my personal statement at the mo.......

is it good to talk about recent experiences in your personal statement for example......
During the summer, i spent a month in Germany and this enabled me to ...bla bla
Like....should i talk about visting germany and other german speaking countries (switzerland, austria and liechtenstein) as i have visit all quite a few times. (i have family in switzerland) and say what i experienced in terms of the countries' culture etc?!

Thanks if you could help! :biggrin:
Hi all,

I'm going to apply for economics and also economics/mathematics. How should I do my PS? Will i have less chances of getting accepted in the pure economics course when they will notice I also appy for a economics/mathematics degree? Do I have to include more of economics or 50/50( Im going to apply 3 pure eco and 2 eco/maths)?

Thanks !!
Anybody? ^^ :biggrin:
Prehaps you should talk about the significance that the subjects holds for you, explain why it started and how. You could also connect the other subjects you are taking to your chosen subject if at all possible.

for an example I will be taking history hopefully and I have linked drama and english language to history. English language has been changed and modified by other influences ect countries invading england ( all the time !!! -_0 ) and woyzeck a playwright was involved in the german naturalist movement.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi! I'm a German student applying to study English/Linguistics. Obviously, I went to a German school and have German qualifications, but I'm actually a native English speaker (grew up in Malta). Should I mention this in my PS or ask my referee to explain my particular circumstances in my reference?
I have come to the realisation that my Personal Statement is way too long. I've decided that the space my extra-curricular activities are taking is excessive, so I'm going to try and get them mentioned in my reference and in the UCAS form.

I have two questions:

Is it advisable to get my referee to mention certain extra-curriculars rather than putting them in my Personal Statement? For instance, I would like to talk about my EPQ and the Target 2.0 competition that the school entered me for, but this can figure on my reference.

I am thinking of not mentioning my part-time work on my Personal Statement. However, there is a section on the UCAS form which asks about salaried work, so I've mentioned my work there. Will universities see that, when I apply?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1386
unless they are of relevance to your course why mention them at all?
I had no room to mention work on my PS!
Original post by denislaw
unless they are of relevance to your course why mention them at all?
I had no room to mention work on my PS!

Both my EPQ and Target 2.0 are relevant to my course :frown: And I have a paragraph about my participation in school life which the school could easily mention.

And Oxford have told me that I should mention if I work part-time because it shows that I can balance school work with a job.
Reply 1388
I'd get your PS over to the PS section then cos it sounds like it needs editing.
I'd get your PS over to the PS section then cos it sounds like it needs editing.

I still need the above questions answered though
Reply 1390
Universities see your application form. Duplication of information is an opportunity wasted.
Get the referee to mention the other stuff, unless you want to add in how it helps you suitability for the course. If its just crowing leave it to the referee.
Universities see your application form.

Ah that's good :smile: I was just unsure because obviously there are certain parts of the application form which they don't see.

Get the referee to mention the other stuff, unless you want to add in how it helps you suitability for the course. If its just crowing leave it to the referee.

I'll do that then. Thanks for the advice.
Original post by tripleeagle
Ah that's good :smile: I was just unsure because obviously there are certain parts of the application form which they don't see.

Which parts? Why have an application form which the people being applied to don't see?
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Which parts? Why have an application form which the people being applied to don't see?

Perhaps information which UCAS need for monitoring purposes but which a university should not take into account when considering an applicant. After all, universities don't see our choices, nor whether we are applying for student finance or not, or the colour of our skin, or our nationality, or our parent's job, or the area we live in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Perhaps information which UCAS need for monitoring purposes but which a university should not take into account when considering an applicant. After all, universities don't see our choices, nor whether we are applying for student finance or not, or the colour of our skin, or our nationality, or our parent's job, or the area we live in.

I'll have to check on this when I get to work in the morning, but there's not much that I can recall that doesn't get sent to the universities, apart from the other universities applied to, and they get to see that once the firm and insurance choices have been accepted. But yes, there is that statistical stuff at the bottom of the form, and I can't remember if that's just for UCAS or not. Can't see why UCAS should see it and not the universities - UCAS is only an administrator. I'll have to check it out. It's 2 years since my last tutor group went through, so I've not seen a form for 2 years.
I'll have to check on this when I get to work in the morning, but there's not much that I can recall that doesn't get sent to the universities, apart from the other universities applied to, and they get to see that once the firm and insurance choices have been accepted. But yes, there is that statistical stuff at the bottom of the form, and I can't remember if that's just for UCAS or not. Can't see why UCAS should see it and not the universities - UCAS is only an administrator. I'll have to check it out. It's 2 years since my last tutor group went through, so I've not seen a form for 2 years.

Okay. If you get the chance, could you please confirm that universities will be able to see my past salaried employment and that this particular part of the form isn't just for legal purposes or something?
Okay. If you get the chance, could you please confirm that universities will be able to see my past salaried employment and that this particular part of the form isn't just for legal purposes or something?

Now that I know for certain they will see. The stuff about whether you are the first in your family to go to university is definitely sent to the universities to ensure all relevant information is given, and in fact it works in favour of those for whom it is the case, since they are keen to allow access to all. I think the other stuff goes as well for the same reason.
Now that I know for certain they will see. The stuff about whether you are the first in your family to go to university is definitely sent to the universities to ensure all relevant information is given, and in fact it works in favour of those for whom it is the case, since they are keen to allow access to all. I think the other stuff goes as well for the same reason.

Oh okay, thanks for your help :smile:

There is some information the universities can't see until all the decisions have been made (so they can do their own monitoring): Ethnic origin, National identity, Dual national identity and the job the highest earner in your family earns

They can see: whether you've been in care and if your parents went to university.

They also must know the area you live in: for posting you information! Some universities formally take into account the wealth of the postcode you come from in the admissions procedure (the one I know of is Oxford)
Hi Everyone,

I need some desperate help regarding about the similarity detection software, see I have written a personal statement and met a person from my tutor who got into Oxford to study my desired course...

So I've sent him my personal statement for some advice, and he had also been very helpful to me about my application... but suddenly on skype it says 'This contact had not shared his details with you' and blah blah, but suddenly a week or so he went online again.. (Skype fail?)... See I'm a bit afraid and don't know what happened there, but I'm really anxious on the fact that she might've sent my PS to someone and they've copied segments of it...

I've called UCAS a month ago, and they have flagged it... but whne I called them today I hear the same old story 'We can't do anything because you haven't paid', and they said 'If you pay, things are tied in our end and we couldn't do anything'.... so what kind of a response is that? They said if someone had copied my statement I would still be flagged and my application would be sent to my universities as FLAGGED..... But I have been saving my statement since July and I've worked for about three months on it.. how could they give me such am ambiguous reply..

Although I think the danger of having my statement copied or sent around is highly unlikely... but... what should I do...? Write a new one..? But to be honest, I have already perfected my PS and I don't want to change any of it....

It'd be good if someone could give me their perspective and advice here... because I am trying to send my application tomorrow or so..... I don't want anything troublesome to happen.

I must emphasis that I AM the owner of this PS, and I am sure if it's flagged I could prove to my Universities that I OWN it... But of course saving the trouble would be a very good idea.

Latest

Trending

Trending