The Student Room Group

Disclose information when reapplying? (NOT in Personal Statement)

Hi all,

I'm a mature student (almost 30 + hold BA/MA from past studies) who wants to study law as part of a career shift. I was unsuccessful in my application to LSE, UCL and KCL, although I got an offer from Queen Mary. I've firmed my offer and intend to commence studying in September, but I still want to reapply to the aforementioned schools in the next application cycle.

I'll be commencing the LLB at Queen Mary in any case, because there's no way I can predict the new application's results. Provided I do get admitted at some point early into the school year, I intend to discontinue my studies at QM and fall back onto my existing freelance job.

My question is, do I absolutely need to include the Queen Mary Senior Status LLB (i.e., the course I'm about to start) in the UCAS application form? Since I am submitting my UCAS application in mid-September and I expect to have the application results way before exams start by the end of the first year, should I even bother? Could this information somehow hamper my application chances at LSE/UCL/KCL? Does leaving this information out constitute misrepresentation, even though I won't get any academic credits before May-June?

Please note: I'm asking about whether I should include the LLB at Queen Mary as part of my academic credentials in the previous studies section, not in my personal statement specifically. I want to know whether I should be mentioning that at all in any way.
Reply 1
You do need to include it. If you don't, when they find out they can remove your offers.
Reply 2
Hmm, looks like a real bugger. Do they usually look at people like that with a greater deal of suspicion than usual? It'll probably make things incredibly complicated, if I have to start explaining that I didn't get admitted in the previous cycle... :frown:
Original post by threejay

Original post by threejay
Hmm, looks like a real bugger. Do they usually look at people like that with a greater deal of suspicion than usual? It'll probably make things incredibly complicated, if I have to start explaining that I didn't get admitted in the previous cycle... :frown:

In all honesty, is there really much point? I'm assuming that the LLB you're doing is a 2 year course given its graduate entry, so would you be planning on transferring into 2nd year of the LLB elsewhere or starting again from scratch? Even if you apply right at the start of September these universities will have until May to reply to you (although I appreciate with graduate law they do tend to be quicker from what I know of it) meaning you may well have finished the entire first year of the course at Queen Mary before you have a proper decision which will leave you in limbo/confused and may impact on your studies. I have friends in their 2nd year of the graduate law LLB who say it is incredibly stressful and hard going so your heart really has to be in it. If you're constantly thinking about transferring and are unsure as to how long you'll be doing the course for, this may well have a consequence on your results. I know you've mentioned dropping out of QMUL if you do get accepted elsewhere, but assuming you dropped out after the first few weeks of the course (ie: after say, mid October) to restart first year elsewhere in September 2012 then you'd be liable to pay fees even if you weren't actually attending the course and depending on your financial situation, losing the best part of 8-10k might not be the greatest idea. It should also be expected that in 2012 (if you did restart first year) that the fees would rise for graduate entrants to law making it even more costly on top of the fee you'd accrued from the 2011 cycle. Although again, this certainly depends on your financial situation and funding as to whether you can afford to lose/spend so much money.

The universities will find it rather odd that you're starting a new course at QMUL with the intention of leaving it before you've even begun, yes. They may see you as someone who isn't into the law, they're just into the prestige of the university name as at the end of the day, they're all University of London. Similarly, QMUL will find it rather odd that you're asking them for a reference before you've even begun/really done much on their course. If you really don't want to go to QMUL then you'd be better off just leaving it for this year and reapplying to see what happens for 2012. Given it is only a 2 year course, I'd be inclined to stick it out and stay with QMUL for the 2 years if you start off there in September. I highly doubt you'd gain much through being at KCL/UCL/LSE and from what I understand, with the University of London you're able to attend courses at all of the sites anyway meaning you might be able to opt to take modules at LSE/KCL/UCL anyway even though you're technically registered with another university.
Reply 4
Thanks for the detailed reply, oxymoronic. I must say I'm still very much in doubt about what I should do come September, so thank you for the helpful input.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending