The Student Room Group

The "I'll never pass my driving test!" thoughts..

Does anyone else feel as if they'll never pass their driving test?

I've been learning for a couple of months, I've had quite a few lessons and I have my test booked. At times I'm confident - I have 3/4 lessons where I'm really good, then all of a sudden I have a terrible lesson where my confidence gets the biggest knock. Today for instance I did pretty much everything wrong, I felt like I was back in one of my first few lessons. It's such a horrible feeling and I'm starting to feel I'll never pass my test. It's so frustrating just seeing my car sat outside on my drive :frown:

Basically the whole point of this thread is to stop me feeling like complete crap.... (clearly I need a life).

Scroll to see replies

Sometimes you have good lessons, sometimes you have bad lessons. For me a lot of it was down to mentality on the day leading to confidence throughout the lesson.
Reply 2
Have you got your test booked?
Don't worry. I've had about 15 lessons and have made like no progress since lesson 5 :') I'll be amazed if i've passed by christmas and we haven't even gone around any big roundabouts yet, never mind reversing. I'm like the most panicky person ever when i'm driving and my automatic reaction when I make a mistake is to stop the car mid road :') I'm such a fail. Don't worry though- you'll be fine just concentrate and don't panick like I do.
Reply 4
Original post by fudgeeyena
Have you got your test booked?

Yes. And it's bloody soon as well! (this month anyway...)
Reply 5
Original post by xWelshyx
Yes. And it's bloody soon as well! (this month anyway...)

Your first or?

And don't worry, I was exactly the same as you. Even down to the fact that
I had my car on the drive waiting for me lol. Alot of people have a few iffy lessons as their test gets closer, I know I did. Even the hour before my test I was making silly mistakes. You just have to be confident in your own abilities - focus on what you do well and learn a lesson everytime you do something wrong, but don't dwell on them. Making mistakes is good - you'll remember not to do them on your test.
Reply 6
I don't think i will ever pass I've failed twice both with one serious'. One for not turning off the indicator after emerging on a dual carriageway and the other for not using the handbrake on a hill so the car rolled back.
Reply 7
Original post by fudgeeyena
Your first or?

And don't worry, I was exactly the same as you. Even down to the fact that
I had my car on the drive waiting for me lol. Alot of people have a few iffy lessons as their test gets closer, I know I did. Even the hour before my test I was making silly mistakes. You just have to be confident in your own abilities - focus on what you do well and learn a lesson everytime you do something wrong, but don't dwell on them. Making mistakes is good - you'll remember not to do them on your test.

Yes, my first :frown: I really want to pass first time, not because I'd be ashamed if I fail but my parents have paid for my lessons and my test as my 17th birthday present so I'd feel terrible if they had to pay for another test. It's basically £100 a time - £62 for the test, £19 for the earlybird lesson and £19 to use the car for the test :frown: ugh. I only started learning in April so its all come around quite fast, I've had 3 or so hours a week with my instructor though. These posts are definitely helping me calm down though :smile: thanks y'all! Haha
Reply 8
YES! I started learning in March, the test is in August and I'm constantly mucking up. I stall a lot, which is my biggest issue, and yesterday, on an unfamiliar road my instructor was yelling a million and one commands at me and I was just awful.
I finally passed my test 4th time, but when i failed my first 3 tests, i did feel as though id never pass my test.
Reply 10
I've failed two tests so far, I'm definitely feeling like it's never going to happen...
I have had almost 20 hours and am nowhere near ready to book my test - my observational skills leave a lot to be desired

I just can't see myself passing this year, or even taking a test
I went through a phase like this. You know how many times it took for me to pass my driving test? 4.

I looked for excuses, tried to put myself in different mindsets and did everything I could to shake this repeating failure. Just before one of my tests, I turned to my instructor and asked about a different test centre I could go to when I inevitably fail the upcoming test. He had a go at me, saying it was the wrong mindset, but I really believed I would fail. I didn't care about the test, I even got hammered the night before the test, so was effectively hungover. I kept forgetting I had the test in the previous week. On the test, I couldn't give a ****. I'd got to the giving up and expecting disappointment stage. And guess what? That was the test that I passed.

You really can't predict the outcome. You've got to keep trying, because giving up will ensure you will never pass. At least trying gives you that possibility, no matter how small you think that posibility of passing is.
40+ hours but still making stupid mistakes :frown:
I've been learning since October last year and I've had 38 hours of lessons so far, and still not been let for my test yet :'). Though, I just had a lesson today and my instructor said we're gonna do a mock test next lesson, so at least that's progress :woo:

I think most people tend to have bad and good lessons, you just learn from your mistakes and move on. Good luck in your test :biggrin:
Reply 15
You always have your good and bad lessons, Once after having over 20 lessons I messed up badly on a roundabout, I got home shaking and cried. You do get to a point where you will suddenly 'get it' where you'll make minimal mistakes, it just takes time and a lot of practice. Don't think 'I want to learn in 4 months or in 18 lessons' because unrealistic goals are just going to add pressure when you can't meet them. It is all about the mindset too, if you are confident in your own driving you'll minimize the nerves and drive better on your test. I had 42 lessons and passed 1st time and was really calm beforehand because I knew I could drive it was just a matter of showing the man sitting next to me. it's all about the mindset and practice so don't worry.
Reply 16
I failed twice and I know I will never pass. I know it, as I never fail anything else. I don't think it is possible for me to pass. Failing something twice makes me think it is not for me. I'm so used to getting everything I want ( good grades, money, good jobs) that when I fail, I feel like giving up. It is the wrong thinking, I realise. I need the license, but seems like it isn't working.
Reply 17
I've failed my test twice - the first time in December I did feel like I wasn't really ready but was really relaxed and didn't do too badly considering (I failed due to a silly mistake rather than anything more serious!). By the second time I was a lot more nervous and freaking out a lot about manoeuvres, which I'm dreadful with! It was a complete disaster and I didn't book another test immediately. I was waiting for an operation on my hand but that was clearly just an excuse as I could have changed the test if they'd ended up coinciding.

I bit the bullet the other day and booked a new test and I've got a different instructor lined up so I can get lessons in the evenings now. My main problem is that I don't have a car that I can practise in so spending hours and hours going over manoeuvres isn't going to happen unless I'm paying for it :frown:

Hopefully this time I'll just pass though because I know that the more I do it, the more I'm just going to mess it up on stupid little things and knock my confidence.
I had 2 years of lessons & 4 failed tests before i eventually passed, you'll get there in the end & it makes you a better driver in the long run as you have more practice & experience. Don't fret :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anjola
I failed twice and I know I will never pass. I know it, as I never fail anything else. I don't think it is possible for me to pass. Failing something twice makes me think it is not for me. I'm so used to getting everything I want ( good grades, money, good jobs) that when I fail, I feel like giving up. It is the wrong thinking, I realise. I need the license, but seems like it isn't working.

Congratulations on reviving a thread that died 2 years ago :biggrin:

As for anyone wondering if they'll ever pass - don't worry you will sooner or later. I was pretty confident that I could pass by the time I got to my first test, but one instance in my first 2 tests caused me to fail both. I then found myself thinking "What if this keeps happening and I never ever pass?". Third test though I knuckled down, kept composed in nightmare traffic and got the pass :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending