Law firms that offer work experience.

Watch
iheartmondays
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Has anyone completed work experience at a law firm? If so which one(s)?
jjarvis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lots of people on here have. What sort of info are you looking for?
iheartmondays
Rep:
?
(Original post by jjarvis)
Lots of people on here have. What sort of info are you looking for?
I'm looking for law firms that do work experience.
scottm87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The firm that I work for are usless at handling work experience students - all they do is use them as an office junior, which is hardly going to provide them with something transferable. Copying and making tea?!
iheartmondays
Rep:
?
(Original post by scottm87)
The firm that I work for are usless at handling work experience students - all they do is use them as an office junior, which is hardly going to provide them with something transferable. Copying and making tea?!
LOL, Really? What firm is that?
OLawyer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by iheartmondays)
Has anyone completed work experience at a law firm? If so which one(s)?
I completed a 6 week vacation scheme at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP in London. Was very hard work dealing with current issues on competition law.
SK-mar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by OLawyer)
I completed a 6 week vacation scheme at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP in London. Was very hard work dealing with current issues on competition law.
wow thats impressive stuff. However, I think OP was asking for firms that do work experience in general. without consideration to your degree or A levels etc, so not a vac scheme but more something you would do whilst at school to put on your UCAS form etc.

to OP.... I walked into my local solicitors firm and simply asked for one of the partners. i then asked him directly and he said sure, come on monday. thats a good start i guess? i think direct contact is more beneficial if you can - shows your confidence and desire which can impress them. have a CV or something to hand as well.

Then you can go a bit better after that initial stint - and once you've obtained a reference from the first place. For example, i emailed my local MEP and explained everything to her and gained a weeks experience shadowing her at the EU in Brussels...

good luck. oh an I think pinsent masons do a student work experience program btw.
OLawyer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SK-mar)
wow thats impressive stuff. However, I think OP was asking for firms that do work experience in general. without consideration to your degree or A levels etc, so not a vac scheme but more something you would do whilst at school to put on your UCAS form etc.

to OP.... I walked into my local solicitors office and simply asked for one of the partners. i then asked him directly and he said sure, come on monday. thats a good start i guess?

Then you can go a bit better after that initial stint - and once you've obtained a reference from the first place. For example, i emailed my local MEP and explained everything to her and gained a weeks experience shadowing her at the EU in Brussels...

good luck. oh an I think pinsent masons do a student work experience program btw.
Getting work experience/ internship at a law firm is very hard work. By the way, when you say "EU in Brussels", do you mean the EU parliament or Commission. I've done an internship shadowing an MEP at the Parliament last year.
SK-mar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Getting work experience/ internship at a law firm is very hard work. By the way, when you say "EU in Brussels", do you mean the EU parliament or Commission. I've done an internship shadowing an MEP at the Parliament last year.
EU parliament. yeah i did a similar thing to you - who was your MEP? its great fun isn't it. it definitely inspired me, and may be something I would be interested doing in when i'm older. working in the EU that is...
OLawyer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
EU parliament. yeah i did a similar thing to you - who was your MEP? its great fun isn't it. it definitely inspired me, and may be something I would be interested doing in when i'm older. working in the EU that is...
I worked for Malcolm Harbour, the MEP for the West-Midlands part of the ECR (European conservatives and reformists group). I'm also now currently doing another internship at a law firm in Brussels.
SK-mar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I worked for Malcolm Harbour, the MEP for the West-Midlands part of the ECR (European conservatives and reformists group). I'm also now currently doing another internship at a law firm in Brussels.
I worked for Jacqeuline Foster, representative for the north west. She's also the conservative party's spokesman on transport and tourism, so I went to a few committee meetings on related topics - eg, policies for the river danube. I would then help to brief what happened (main points) in the meeting etc. even though she had her assistants there too haha.

It seems that you have done a fair few vac schemes. did the brussels work experience help - in terms of making you distinguishable from others? I am also hoping to gain an internship at a firm in westminster, and then something at parliament - both contacts from brussels.
OLawyer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I worked for Jacqeuline Foster, representative for the north west. She's also the conservative party's spokesman on transport and tourism, so I went to a few committee meetings on related topics - eg, policies for the river danube. I would then help to brief what happened (main points) in the meeting etc. even though she had her assistants there too haha.

It seems that you have done a fair few vac schemes. did the brussels work experience help - in terms of making you distinguishable from others? I am also hoping to gain an internship at a firm in westminster, and then something at parliament - both contacts from brussels.
Well, I actually live in Belgium hence why my internship was in Brussels. Plus, getting an internship with a UK/USA law firm in Brussels is much less competitive than in London. I am trying to make the most of internships so that, once it comes to job applications, firms wont just look at my grades which arne't the best in the world. In fact this year in 2nd year, I got 59% which is 2.2, only 1% off the 2.1 mark which is why I got a lot of internship rejections, because of 1 stupid %...
SK-mar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, I actually live in Belgium hence why my internship was in Brussels. Plus, getting an internship with a UK/USA law firm in Brussels is much less competitive than in London. I am trying to make the most of internships so that, once it comes to job applications, firms wont just look at my grades which arne't the best in the world. In fact this year in 2nd year, I got 59% which is 2.2, only 1% off the 2.1 mark which is why I got a lot of internship rejections, because of 1 stupid %...
yeh but i guess they have to have a cut off point somewhere in order to distinguish between applicants. i used to live in brussels - went to BSB. that was when i was like 10 though.
TheOneAndOnly!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I was just going to ask how you was able to gain that experience?? Sounds like it was great fun
susumouss
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by scottm87)
what law firm do you work for?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (44)
41.12%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
19.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.61%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
8.41%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.41%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
6.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
10.28%

Watched Threads