The Student Room Group

What's worse- Pseudo intellectuals or smart people who dumb themselves down?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ralphieinker90
or a girl that's clever but acts dumb to get guys attention?

Does that happen?! :s-smilie:
Reply 21
People who pretend to be clever when they're not. It's far more annoying
Reply 22
Pseudo intellectuals. Definitely.

There's nothing worse that watching someone talk about something way past their knowledge base to the point of being so blatantly wrong but continuing to talk and be listened to because they're charismatic enough. It's embarrassing because surely they must know they're wrong and it's so easy to get caught out.
How can you pretend to be smarter than you are?
Reply 24
Smart people who dumb themselves down! Because pseudo-intellectuals will get caught out eventually, which is always hilarious.
but aren't you judging me? Bit hypocritical isn't it? And I'm not you're mate, get some real friends instead of posting on threads you claim to have no interest in, but still take the time to comment on.
Reply 26

Far better.
(edited 12 years ago)
pseudo intellectuals.
Reply 28
Niether. I couldn't care less if people try to be smarter or dumber than they actually are.
Original post by Arcanine
Niether. I couldn't care less if people try to be smarter or dumber than they actually are.

Wat! Try going out with, living with or havin' mutual frens and thus prolonged contact with someone who's constantly talking our of their ass and never relents, preferring to be huffy or change the subject when you pwn them with real knowledge or logik than accept defeat.

It's unbearable :emo:
Pseudo-intellectuals can be put in their place. They are the more annoying.

It depresses me when I see genuinely intelligent individuals acting dumb. You know they know better, but they feel the need to fit in.

As a side note, you do realise that the majority of people who will reply here are pseudo-intellectuals or intellectuals that dumb down.
A third answer probably, in that really dislike people who may get good grades but think having an intellectual conversation is about who can argue the best and prove their point, and anything non political isnt intellectual.

I am an intelligent person myself but dont mind talking about a good movie I have just seen, or discuss local events but not turn it into a massive debate where its about who knows best.
Pseudo Intellectuals are worse..lol they should face the truth that they are not intelligent and stop lieing to themselves.....their attitude has no substance to it and that is always a bad thing
Reply 33
Pseudo intellectuals :colonhash:

I know one at uni and he's unbelievable. He claims to know so much about the world and when he's called out on it, he just rolls his eyes and says 'Don't tell me I'm wrong. I know I'm right' Even when he's been proved wrong by everyone he's talking to :dry:
Pseudo intellectuals really annoy me.
Reply 35
I find that the term "pseudo-intellectual" is employed for the most part by people I would consider pseudo-intellectuals.
Reply 36
Original post by ralphieinker90
Which do you find more annoying? People who act a lot smarter than they are, or people who dumb themselves down to fit in? Basically a dumb-ass that thinks they're a young Stephen Fry, or a girl that's clever but acts dumb to get guys attention?

A person who acts smart is worse. I work with enough of them!

Stephen Fry is an example. He's great with big words and remembering facts, but using some of these words when he knows full well that alot of people won't understand them is just plain rude.
I had a mate who was like a genius when he studied, but an absolute halfwit when it came to common sense. The balance is the key!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Mr Disco
I find that the term "pseudo-intellectual" is employed for the most part by people I would consider pseudo-intellectuals.

Ahaha...........I concur :cool:
Pseudo intellectuals.
Original post by Mr Disco

Agreed, but what word would you prefer?

Quick Reply

Latest