This discussion is closed.
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Dresden was bombed on the 13th and 14th February 1945. That's BEFORE the end of WWII.
Fine, it doesn't change anything. Germany was defetead in that moment and they killed all that people just to intimidate Soviets ...
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Fine, it doesn't change anything. Germany was defetead in that moment and they killed all that people just to intimidate Soviets ...
Same with the A-bombs on the Japansese front. You need to win a fight in such a way that no-one else wants to have a go while you try to recover. This dosn't always work out. This war we (the coalition) totaly failed. The "shock and awe" was basicaly scare tactics and then we were so afraid of civilian casualtys we were slow and cautious. The population realised they would be in trouble if they revolted after the last war. Therefore, the war dragged out to long and the victory was empty, leaving vast pockets of resistance and loyalists to the old regime.

To defeat a regime you need to do what happened to the Nazis. Cut out the whole cancer. If you just chop off the head and hold it up then the majority may give up, but in a huge organisation, finding all the heads is nearly impossible.

Did that make any sense whatsoever?
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Of course saddam was a threat! He murdered millions of inncoent people both in his own country and others! If he had of had the capabilities to launch an attack on America or the UK he probably would have so the world and Iraq is a better place without him!
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Are you some sort of history revisionist? On what grounds do you base your statements? Which historian are you quoting? Or, do you just make things up as you go along?

I'd have thought the reason behind bombing Dresden had rather more to do with accelerating the end of the war, than intimidating the Soviets.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Of course saddam was a threat! He murdered millions of inncoent people both in his own country and others! If he had of had the capabilities to launch an attack on America or the UK he probably would have so the world and Iraq is a better place without him!
Millions? Shurely shome mishtake!
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by love_4_ducks)
well?
in a way no as there was no mass destruvtion weapons found buh then he was torturing many innocent people!!! in the ned it boild to was ewar rite?
type properly

we had no right to invade, the argument he tortured many is true but so does many other countrys around the world. all i read on the amnesty international website is allegations of torture in many countries
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by pal_sch)
To defeat a regime you need to do what happened to the Nazis. Cut out the whole cancer. If you just chop off the head and hold it up then the majority may give up, but in a huge organisation, finding all the heads is nearly impossible.

Did that make any sense whatsoever?
It makes sense and is a point of view, not mine but it is respectable and valid.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The reasons were to show willing to do massive damage and intimidate the enemy. The Soviets were just a bonus.

Or it may have been the other way around.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Millions? Shurely shome mishtake!
Oops yeah maybe a slight exageration! Many thousands though were murdered by him!
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Are you some sort of history revisionist? On what grounds do you base your statements? Which historian are you quoting? Or, do you just make things up as you go along?

I'd have thought the reason behind bombing Dresden had rather more to do with accelerating the end of the war, than intimidating the Soviets.
That's the reason that you give, check the wikipedia page, and take it easy.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Oops yeah maybe a slight exageration! Many thousands though were murdered by him!
yeah mass murdered occured years ago. in gulf war 1 we and the americans were in the posiition to invade and defeat saddam, but we didn't. and since many more have died under saddam
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
That's the reason that you give, check the wipikedia page.
Is that how you do your research? "Check the wipikedia page" Joker!
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Is that how you do your research? "Check the wipikedia page" Joker!
What's your problem? Can't stand yourself?
I don't do research, I've read it in a lot of places and wikipedia is one of them. If you don't like it fine but I said that it could be possible that I were wrong, so take it easy.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
yeah mass murdered occured years ago. in gulf war 1 we and the americans were in the posiition to invade and defeat saddam, but we didn't. and since many more have died under saddam
If the first gulf war had of continued it would have been successfull, but highly costly. Estimates were 1/3 caualties. That means about one in three men would have to leave the country in hospital ships or airlifts. Also supply lines would have been cut easily. There could also be serious problems with armys becoming bogged down in cities and retributions against the population.

In hindsight, all that happend was simply on a delay. The problems they may of have happend this time (but we kept down the caualtys due to advances in weaponry and medical tecniques)
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What's your problem? Can't stand yourself?
I don't do research, I've read it in a lot of places and wikipedia is one of them. If you don't like it fine but I said that it could be possible that I were wrong, so take it easy.
My problem is that so many of your contributions contain statements that having no bearing on historical fact and are nothing more than your own views on how you would have preferred historical events to have been played out to better suit your arguments.

In other words you have demonstrated time and again a propensity to pervert fact in the interests of bolstering your arguments and are all too ready to "shoot from the hip" rather than "**** off and find out" which is what you should do if you wish to contribute intelligently.

"Dresden was bombed after the war" is one example amongst many.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
"Dresden was bombed after the war" is one example amongst many.
Well, I don't care about you. I contribute what I want, a margin of a couple of months doesn't change a bit.
Don't you like what I say, fine, don't read it, I will say whatever I want as always.

Bye.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, I don't care about you. I contribute what I want, a margin of a couple of months doesn't change a bit.
Don't you like what I say, fine, don't read it, I will say whatever I want as always.

Bye.
A margin of a couple of months changes everything. In this case it's the difference between being at war and not being at war.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
A margin of a couple of months changes everything. In this case it's the difference between being at war and not being at war.
I don't agree that wasn't my point, I already admited that I made a mistake but my point was the bombing of civil population to intimidate an enemy. This is qualified as a war crime by a lot of people.

If you don't agree fine, whatever, I don't have time to argue with you.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't agree that wasn't my point, I already admited that I made a mistake but my point was the bombing of civil population to intimidate an enemy. This is qualified as a war crime by a lot of people.

If you don't agree fine, whatever, I don't have time to argue with you.
I look forward to reading more of your preposterous historical interpretations at some future point then.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I look forward to reading more of your preposterous historical interpretations at some future point then.
Oh, don't worry, you will, just wait enough.
:cool:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads