The Student Room Group

Is the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University a good chioce for me?

Beginning August 29th I will study International Business Administration (IBA) course at the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University. In this course English is the only medium of instruction and according to the university 95 per cent of students in the IBA programme come from abroad.

The Rotterdam School of Management itself is widely regarded as the best in the Netherlands and it has a great reputation that is proven by its leading position in rankings: "In its 2007 meta-ranking, the Financial Times placed the school amongst the top 10 schools in Europe. The school’s MBA programmes consistently appear in the top 15 programmes in Europe. In the 2007 Elsevier Thema Survey, the school’s BSc and MSc programmes were ranked best Dutch programmes."

My own internet research revealed that the Wall Street Journal placed it among the top 10 worldwide and in numerous other rankings it appeared among the top.

As I am aspiring to pursue a career in investment banking (mergers and acquisitions preferably) I am conscious of the crucial role of having studied at a good university in order to have a realistic chance to get a job.

Please tell me if you believe that this course it is a good choice for me and if you have heard about the university before (surprisingly many people I asked did).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is 7 interns from Erasmus in the JPM IBD summer programme. More than from any other school.
Reply 2
could you elaborate on the placement records of the RSM in London? more from any other continental school you probably mean, i guess lse/oxbridge does have more than 7 students in these programs.
Reply 3
First, I am only talking about IBD. There is two from Oxford, two from LSE, and one from Cambridge. The vast majority comes from European business schools like RMS, WHU or Bocconio, each one with six or seven. At the end of the day, they are really looking for ppl who are bilingual, because depsite the belief of some ppl that everything is available in English, when it comes to IBD a second language is really useful bc most clients are locatd in France, Germany, Spain....
Reply 4
Hey :smile:
I wanted to ask some questions about RSM's BSc in International Business Administration , first do you think that we get in Investment banking with a BSc only ? (in London for instance?)

I wondered if it was possible (I mean easier) to apply to a Top Msc (LSE for instance) from this BSc ? I heard that it was very difficult to get a 2:1 degree at RSM ...
If I apply , I'll lose a year , do you think that it's a good idea anyway ?

Do you think that RSM is targeted for Sales&Trading jobs ?

Thanks a lot ! :smile:
Reply 5
Also , do you think that the BSc is sufficient for IB in London ? :smile:
Reply 6
Up ...
Reply 7
I really need an answer please , im totally confused ... :s-smilie:
Reply 8
It's a great course, go for it.
Reply 9
Can you explain more please ? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Mihawk
Can you explain more please ? :smile:

Go on their website and download the brochure (pdf) - it tells you a lot more. Basically, the tuition fees are much less than the UK, most of the people there speak English and is an internationally recognised course.
Reply 11
It's already done :smile:

Yeah , but I heard that Rotterdam was'nt a good city ... (dangerous , crappy ...)
with which Uk uni can we compare Rotterdam ? UCL ? Warwick ?
Reply 12
Original post by Mihawk
It's already done :smile:

Yeah , but I heard that Rotterdam was'nt a good city ... (dangerous , crappy ...)
with which Uk uni can we compare Rotterdam ? UCL ? Warwick ?

Yeah but a lot of cities are like that.. I think it's a lot of hype tbh. In terms of academic/reputation, it has exchanges with Manchester/Bath/UoL so along those lines would be a fair conclusion.
Reply 13
Original post by Part A
Yeah but a lot of cities are like that.. I think it's a lot of hype tbh. In terms of academic/reputation, it has exchanges with Manchester/Bath/UoL so along those lines would be a fair conclusion.

It has an exchange with Wharton too :smile:
Only 1 place I think btw ... :biggrin:

Do we need to go further with a MSc or the BSc is entirely sufficient to get a job in London (City) ?
Reply 14
Original post by Part A

They also have exchange with Warwick.
Reply 15
Original post by bjk1903
They also have exchange with Warwick.

Really ? It doesn't appears on their site web : http://www.rsm.nl/home/bachelor/bsciba/real_world_experience/international_experiences
Reply 16
Well, have a closer look. Cass & LSE are also there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by bjk1903
Well, have a closer look. Cass & LSE are also there.

Yeah , but im talking about BSc's exchange only ... not CEMS or MSc ...
Reply 18
Original post by Mihawk
It has an exchange with Wharton too :smile:
Only 1 place I think btw ... :biggrin:

Do we need to go further with a MSc or the BSc is entirely sufficient to get a job in London (City) ?

Yeah, one place for the best student! However, they have exchanges with a few other good US colleges so not to worry. Nah, I think a Bsc is enough - they will look for internships/work exp and extracurricular activities you have done as well during your time at uni, I believe. X
Reply 19
Original post by Part A
Yeah, one place for the best student! However, they have exchanges with a few other good US colleges so not to worry. Nah, I think a Bsc is enough - they will look for internships/work exp and extracurricular activities you have done as well during your time at uni, I believe. X

Got it !
Thank you all ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending