The Student Room Group

Why are so many people interested in so called "Celebrity" personal lives?

I really couldn't give a crap, that's why I have started buying a paper that is filled with just the news, nothing else! just so I don't have to read all that "z list Celeb" gossip rubbish. Why is there even a word "Celeb/Celebrity"..?
Also, why are so many people fascinated with Celebrities lives/relationships? Do you really care that much? Are people's lives so boring that they have to focus so much on "celebrity" personal lives? This is a rant because it's becoming too much, especially when these non entities are spread over the front page of 2 - 3 papers every single day!!! Arrgghhh!
Reply 1
I think people are just naturally nosey. It's like reading gossip, if you're not around your girlfriends chatting about people you know, then you have a magazine, chatting about people everybody 'knows'. Well that's what I guess is the appeal.
Because they have nothing better to do with their sad lives. It wouldn't be that bad if the large majority of people who are shoved in our faces actually had any talent, but unfortunately they're the media's view of who we shoud find interesting.
Reply 3
Why is this in H&R? And people always love gossip, doesn't matter about whom.
Reply 4
It's just one of the sad realities of postmodernism.
These papers are for housewives (people who have boring lives)
Reply 6
Yeah, I've seen a few celebrities at work to be honest, and I just serve them as I would with everyone. I don't even attempt to say "OMG your from", or "how are you (by name)".
I don't see why I should. They are normal people.
No idea, they're just people, and they deserve privacy as much as the rest of us. Still, people will always want to be known, and fame is just taking that desire to an extreme. Makes me determined to stay away from fame, which isn't hard for me so it's all good. I feel terrible for celebrities with every bit of their personal lives down in the newspapers for the world to crow over, it's not right.
Original post by Mr Einstein
These papers are for housewives (people who have boring lives)

My mum's a housewife and she has a hell of a lot more self-respect and dignity than that. She hates tabloid magazines with a passion.
I think it's so people can place judgement on celebrities and that they'll never have to face up to the repercussions of those judgments.-These celebrities stand to show what is acceptable and what is not acceptable in today's society.

In reality the "scandals" are one in the same- If you've seen one affair, you've seen them all. It's just escapism.
Original post by Oncoming Storm
My mum's a housewife and she has a hell of a lot more self-respect and dignity than that. She hates tabloid magazines with a passion.

I was stereotyping

Quick Reply

Latest