Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I have got conditional offers from the following uni's:

Imperial
Warwick
York
Manchester
Southampton

Which one would you choose???? I an international student so I havn't been able to check out the departments and stuff.

Thanks for your help
roopsus
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
What are your priorities? What sort of place are you confident you will be happy living in for 3/4 years?

(congratulations on the offers btw)
I think my priority is getting a good job at the end of it. I do enjoy a night out but I aint no party animal. Basically a course that is interesting and will get me a great job at the time

Cheers
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by roopsus)
I think my priority is getting a good job at the end of it. I do enjoy a night out but I aint no party animal. Basically a course that is interesting and will get me a great job at the time

Cheers
I would choose in the following order:
Warwick
York
Imperial

Though that's heavily biased by me not wanting to London, if you're happy living there then Imperial would probably have the better reputation. York looked like a very very nice town, but the campus didn't look as a nice as Warwicks... then again Warwick's is in Coventry...

I wouldn't bother really giving the other two much consideration given you hold offers from those three.

Alaric.
Petrozzi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by roopsus)
I have got conditional offers from the following uni's:

Imperial
Warwick
York
Manchester
Southampton

Which one would you choose???? I an international student so I havn't been able to check out the departments and stuff.

Thanks for your help
If you're a city person, choose Imperial. It's probably the best choice for Comp Sci in the UK full stop.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I would definatley choose Imperial, I'm sure i've already told ya this lol. It does have the best reputation in the country for comp sci.
Dazbradbury
Report 17 years ago
I'm applying for comp sci and got offers from:

Oxford
Bath
Warwick
Manchester
York
(withdrew from UCL cuz I didn't want to go to london)

My plan is to go for Oxford as my first choice, and am weighing up between warwick and manchester for my insurance. Manchester comp sci department is really nice and well funded, was quite impressed with them really but I haven't seen warwick. I though york campus was ugly and didn't like it, but that's just my opinion, alot of people say it's nice.

So am having to make a decision soon and am also a little unsure like you. But I can say manchester was nice, really nice. But can't speak for warwick.

Does anyone know how long I can wait before replying and if I need to go on an actual open day to visit warwick? or can I just go down and have a look?! Any replies would be nice. cheers, Daz.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well if we're doing the whole who's applying for comp sci routine I'll add mine in:

Applied for Comp Sci, got offers from all, which were:

Imperial
Warwick
UCL
Nottingham
Kings
(Withdrew from Baths because I'd had notts and kings by then and Bath was my last choice)

My First choice is Imperial, Insurance is Kings.

Just a quick question for Daz, why would you apply to oxford over cambridge for comp sci? The cambridge department for comp sci is much more superior to oxford department and I've always felt someone who applies to oxford for comp sci over cambridge has done it just for the name not the love of the subject. Maybe you can put me right on this.
Dazbradbury
Report 17 years ago
Hey, this may sound stupid but I like oxford as a place more than I do cambridge. Also, alot of my choices were based on leage table results, I didn't have much info about uni's when applying and wouldn't have known then that cambridge is the place to be for comp sci. But oh well, I dont think you can say oxford's department is still not one of the best.

Plus I applied for Maths AND computer science, thinking I wanted to do that, oxford is certainly one of the best places to be for maths in any case.

Sorry, but maybe I didn't have as much knowledge when applying, my skool are quite crap in that respect, but I still dont think you can take anything away from people who apply to oxford for comp sci, it doesn't in any way mean they don't have a love for the subject. Surely you can see that.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Dazbradbury)
Hey, this may sound stupid but I like oxford as a place more than I do cambridge. Also, alot of my choices were based on leage table results, I didn't have much info about uni's when applying and wouldn't have known then that cambridge is the place to be for comp sci. But oh well, I dont think you can say oxford's department is still not one of the best.

Plus I applied for Maths AND computer science, thinking I wanted to do that, oxford is certainly one of the best places to be for maths in any case.

Sorry, but maybe I didn't have as much knowledge when applying, my skool are quite crap in that respect, but I still dont think you can take anything away from people who apply to oxford for comp sci, it doesn't in any way mean they don't have a love for the subject. Surely you can see that.
Hey, sorry I didn't mean it as a personal dig at you. But I knew someone who applied for comp sci, when it wasn't even his love, but wanted oxbridge so bad, so decided on oxford because he figured that since the camb depo was betetr than the ox one, he should try for ox as it might be easier and he'd get the name. Not sure if he got it, but it's made me very cynical about ox's comp sci!
Dazbradbury
Report 17 years ago
Fair enough, but maybe you shouldn't model a general opinion on one person and what they do. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people dying to go to oxbridge, if I was then I would not only have applied for a course that hardly anyone applies to, but also to a college that you are nearly allways accepted for. (I applied for maths and computer science @ new college)

And I dont mean to be having a dig either! I know people like that which your refferring too, all they want is oxbridge, the people I knew didn't get in, and they were quite cynical about the fact that I do no work, didn't really care, and still got in. So in a way I agree with your attitude, but I dont think you can single out a course like that.

Anyway, any freindly advise on Warwick vs Manchester?? Anyone know if I can jus go see the uni at any time? Thanks in advance.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
But oh well, I dont think you can say oxford's department is still not one of the best.
Most academics generally regard Warwick, York, UCL, Imperial and sometimes Edinburgh as better than Oxford at Compsci. The impression I got is that they're very much a sinking ship that needs to do something fast! Though I'm sure you'll do well enough on the prestige of Oxford!

That does ease the pain!

Alaric.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Petrozzi)
If you're a city person, choose Imperial. It's probably the best choice for Comp Sci in the UK full stop.
*ahem*

Does it have a computer security course?

It's very well rated, but the best :rolleyes:

Alaric.
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
I would definatley choose Imperial, I'm sure i've already told ya this lol. It does have the best reputation in the country for comp sci.

How does that explain the unemployment rate? I think its the image of a bunch of geeks running around with thick specs, terrible acne and a scruffy haircut that puts employers off-cmon, we can't have people like that in the service sector. One of my Info Systems professors told me that, or something along those lines, especially as consultancy firms like Accenture are taking in so many people that have never studied Computing before.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
How does that explain the unemployment rate? I think its the image of a bunch of geeks running around with thick specs, terrible acne and a scruffy haircut that puts employers off-cmon, we can't have people like that in the service sector. One of my Info Systems professors told me that, or something along those lines, especially as consultancy firms like Accenture are taking in so many people that have never studied Computing before.
Stuff that stereotype, from a personal point of view, I don't just veer away from that, I literally shatter that. I am doubtful an employer is going to see imperial on my CV and assume I'm a geek without interviewing me. Same with anyone else who has imperial on their CV, I imagine you'll get an interview anyway and like with any person who is applying from whatever uni, it's up to you to show the employer your personality.
I must say I am surprised about the unemployement rate...I wonder if it's possbile that this is due to graduates at Imp not accepting the current jobs on offers, figuring they aren't good enough, in terms of skils required, for them?

In terms of the course quality and research there you can't fault the department though.

Please ignore all spelling/grammatical mistakes, I am falling asleep.
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
Stuff that stereotype, from a personal point of view, I don't just veer away from that, I literally shatter that. I am doubtful an employer is going to see imperial on my CV and assume I'm a geek without interviewing me. Same with anyone else who has imperial on their CV, I imagine you'll get an interview anyway and like with any person who is applying from whatever uni, it's up to you to show the employer your personality.
I must say I am surprised about the unemployement rate...I wonder if it's possbile that this is due to graduates at Imp not accepting the current jobs on offers, figuring they aren't good enough, in terms of skils required, for them?

In terms of the course quality and research there you can't fault the department though.

Please ignore all spelling/grammatical mistakes, I am falling asleep.

hey hey, I was only winding you up (you specifically, as I knew you'd reply). The rate could be down to the slow down in the market, particularly with IT. Maybe the Imperial types only want to work in Computing and cannot settle for anything else---- cause theyre so passionate about keyboards, monitors and mice and have scruffy hair, are unshaven and have the thickest specs that money can buy?
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
hey hey, I was only winding you up (you specifically, as I knew you'd reply). The rate could be down to the slow down in the market, particularly with IT. Maybe the Imperial types only want to work in Computing and cannot settle for anything else---- cause theyre so passionate about keyboards, monitors and mice and have scruffy hair, are unshaven and have the thickest specs that money can buy?

lol Drat!!! you know me too well! :rolleyes: . I am trying to resist the urge to reply to your last sentence....trying.....trying... .That's it I give up!
There is nothing wrong with being passionate for your subject!! and there are just as many/ as little unshaven scruffy haired people with thick pieces of glass perched ontop of their noses at every university. Fortunatley in modern times we do have much thinner glasses avaialble though or contacts, I realise in your time at uni (the olden days), these things just didn't exist.
Sterotypical views are so misleading! If we all went on stereotypes, nobody at LSE would actually speak English and everyone at Bristol/ Durham/Oxbridge would be posh and snobby upper class public school goers or 'rahs'.

Hmm must try not to get so wound up! :cool:

On a serious note, another problem with employment IT is the outsourcing to India. These people there work for like what is equivalent to £11k over here cuz the cost of living is so low there, when a person doing their job here would expect more like £35k, probably more.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads