This discussion is closed.
ladyvice
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I don't think Clare makes that many, despite what people above have said. Christ's is the one most known for it, and other colleges may make them if they really like someone, but most people have AAA offers.
I agree entirely with this. i have only ever met several people who had two EE offers, and they were all from Christs'. It's all a con in my opinion, because Christs' simply do it to ensure that their **** hot applicants accept the place. It can be quite bad for morale, however, as a couple of students I knew had real complexesm because many of their freinds had received such an offer, and they took it to mean that the college had nolt wanted them as much. I am sure that other colleges may have been known to offer some in recent years, but my extensive knowledge of Cambridge (!?) leads me to believe that much of this is a myth.
scanner
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alex_R)
Yeah, I received an EEE offer to study medicine at Christ's - which I am now doing. EE/EEE offers are there I think to try and attrsct the best candidates - give them a challenge to try and go for, and also to relieve some of the pressure on A-Level results so you can do extra exams like AEA or STEP instead and read around your subject more. Although the offer is EE/EEE I have not met anybody at Christ's who having been offered a so called matriculation offer did not get all As at A-Level. Christ's offer about a third of places on these offers but I'm not sure if other colleges do. I heard vague rumours about Peterhouse giving out one or two - though I am not certain. I think a couple of colleges at Oxford gave them out a few years ago but I'm not sure if they still do. Good luck if you want to try and get one, though as long as you have good A/S scores they're not too hard to get.
The practice of giving very low 'matruculation offers' has died out at Oxford. I can't remember ever meeting anyone who got anything much below the standard offer for their subjecvts. Time Cambridge came into line with everyone else and made all with places jump over the same hurdle.
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by miss perfect)
what?! im not being horrible to anyone, i'm just saying that cambridge would never in a million years offer someone a place for E E!
lol, put your foot in it didn't you?
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
well my twin brother got an ABB offer from jesus for history. I guess he'll get AAA though. I am so jealous with my AAA offer

Musicboy
al65
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alex_R)
EE/EEE offers are there I think to try and attract the best candidates - give them a challenge to try and go for, and also to relieve some of the pressure on A-Level results so you can do extra exams like AEA or STEP instead and read around your subject more.
I don't think anyone really aims to get a EE/ EEE offer! Most are just thrilled to get into Cambridge! The EE offer is just a bonus (albeit a big one) which takes the pressure off for the A-levels. I think most people would still aim for A's though.

I got one for medicine at Christs. It's EEE but I also have to take 2 AEA's in the summer (though it doesnt apparently matter what I get). I think this year at least, christs no longer give the EE offer but ask for EEE and 2 AEA's. You're apparently expected to try to get good grades in these (i.e. they want to give you a challenge), though not too many people will be busting a gut to do so!

Other colleges do give them but only for certain subjects (e.g Fitz). I've heard that places like Trinity do give them to unbelievably exceptional candidates for Maths.

Alex...I guess I'll see you next year!
*Joanna*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The other person that got into Cam this year at my school got offered EE for Oriental Studies at Corpus Christi, but he's most probably going to get As even if he doesn't try!
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I got an offer of AA which isnt as impressive I guess!
Schmelen
Report 17 years ago
a lad from my sixth-form college got an EE offer for Nat. Sci. at Christs, but i was chatting to him recently, and he said he still was going to carry on doing his 5 a-levels (6 if you count general studies...) and he will try to do well, which means, as its him, he will get five A's. i laughed, but he said that the five subjects will all help him to do beter at his degree, and i guess he has a point.

My history teacher did tell me once that she taught a student who got an EE offer a while back, did nothing all year, actually got EE and although he obviously was able to go to er, oxford i think it was, he was hauled up in front of the dean on the first day and got a very harsh talking to!
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
In the days of the old Oxford entrance exam they used to give a lot of matriculation offers, but since it was abolished it's practically unheard of.
happypad
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I got an unconditional offer for SPS from Churchill.

Paddy
nervous
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fred86)
Has anyone got one and do they exist? Lol that'd be so great, enlighten me people!
heya - a friend of a friend of a friend got an EE offer and it was quite funny because ppl who usually get those offers get like 5As anyway - but his girl decided that she was not going to study at all and so she did get EE in the end - needless to say Cambridge was not amused or impressed although they did have to let her in anyway!!
starry
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fred86)
that's amazing!! man they must really want some people.... others have to get AAA (altho i am considering turning them down)
turning who down? excuse my slight ignorance.
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
A guy at my school last year got an EE offer for NatSci at Christ's. He got 6 A's at A2 though and I think 8 AS's all A as well. He was seriously a genius. I spoke to him the other day and he said that Cambridge was really simple too.

Adam
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tnacilppa)
A guy at my school last year got an EE offer for NatSci at Christ's. He got 6 A's at A2 though and I think 8 AS's all A as well. He was seriously a genius. I spoke to him the other day and he said that Cambridge was really simple too.

Adam

Urrrgh, git.

hornblower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
In the days of the old Oxford entrance exam they used to give a lot of matriculation offers, but since it was abolished it's practically unheard of.
Indeed. Getting a good mark in an entrance exam would have satisfied admissions tutors, but as the entrance exam is not used as much nowadays, they ask for higher A-level grades.

J.
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i would have prefered an entrance exam (and get EE offer) and less effort needed into alevels to allow me a chance to read around my subject etc.

tho i doubt i would have been good enough to get an EE offer.....cause i am the kinda person who would probably slack off for the whole year afterwards :P
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by keithy)
i would have prefered an entrance exam (and get EE offer) and less effort needed into alevels to allow me a chance to read around my subject etc.

tho i doubt i would have been good enough to get an EE offer.....cause i am the kinda person who would probably slack off for the whole year afterwards :P
Well, we medics had to do an entrance exam (the MVAT/BMAT, depending on when you took it) and still most of us get proper offers. A-Level results are important for the future as well, so if you're aiming to get your 3/4 As to get into uni, then you'll have more motivation to actually get them.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads