The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

What do you think of Kingston?

Is it good or bad? What are your thoughts or experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My sister does pharmacy there and absolutely hates it!
But it may be different for people from other courses. :smile:
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
I heard it's pretty much like Kingston in Jamaica lol - there's a big Black community there.

I've heard it's pretty good for Art and Design courses as well as some business courses, but for some of the other courses, such as Maths or English for example, it's less reputable.

I've also heard rumours about students copying each other's coursework and the fact there are a lot of cliques there - a lot of people segregating based on race. I personally wouldn't choose to go there.

Kingston Oceana on some nights is good I've heard, whereas other people have told me it's rubbish.
Reply 3
Original post by Superstar6318
I heard it's pretty much like Kingston in Jamaica lol - there's a big Black community there.

I've heard it's pretty good for Art and Design courses as well as some business courses, but for some of the other courses, such as Maths or English for example, it's less reputable.

I've also heard rumours about students copying each other's coursework and the fact there are a lot of cliques there - a lot of people segregating based on race. I personally wouldn't choose to go there.

Kingston Oceana on some nights is good I've heard, whereas other people have told me it's rubbish.

Yeah, it does strike me as that sort of uni with a large international community. Think I'll steer clear if I can help it.
Reply 4
It's a pretty terrible uni for music
Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi

Badmans :colonhash:

Not :facepalm2: When will people grow up and learn, "grime" is nothing but a load of nonsense?
I heard it's more of a Rave than a Uni.
Dreading it as an insurance :cry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by hatemylife
Is it good or bad? What are your thoughts or experiences?

Depends on the subject.

I know it's really good for Surveying but for other courses I have heard it can be less than impressive.
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
Dreading it as an insurance :cry:

Why would you dread your insurance? :s-smilie: You chose it.
It's simply appalling.

I have 2 friends who go there, they can't stand it and constantly refer to it as a hell hole.

I went there a few years ago as part of a school trip, it wasn't at a good standard tbh. I could see that even as a 15 year old without much knowledge of other unis, you can just tell it's a pretty run down environment.

Maybe the teaching itself would be okay, but the environment and the type of people you find there just make it unbearable.

That's not to say everybody who goes there is like that, my friends certainly aren't. But when you have hooligans, wannabe gangsters, and 'mandem' making the SU like it's some kind of 'ghetto hood, yo' it really takes away from what uni is all about.
Original post by Cesar Lecat
Why would you dread your insurance? :s-smilie: You chose it.

Only other realistic option
Reply 13
Its more about having fun than studying in Kingston ...
i heard kingston has the highest rates of STIs amongst students
Reply 15
The art and design courses are some of the best in the UK. I was really impressed when I went for my graphic design interview. Also Kingston as a place looked quite nice.
Yeah I've heard some nightmare stories about this particular uni too. I think they may be a bit exaggerated but despite this, I wouldn't like to chance it just in case!
Original post by hatemylife
Yeah, it does strike me as that sort of uni with a large international community. Think I'll steer clear if I can help it.

I wouldn't use the term "international" but I know what you mean - it's multicultural to the point where people segregate.

Obviously I can't stop you from choosing where you want to go, but I've heard more negatives than positives about this university.
Original post by Xenomorph v2.1
It's simply appalling.

I have 2 friends who go there, they can't stand it and constantly refer to it as a hell hole.

I went there a few years ago as part of a school trip, it wasn't at a good standard tbh. I could see that even as a 15 year old without much knowledge of other unis, you can just tell it's a pretty run down environment.

Maybe the teaching itself would be okay, but the environment and the type of people you find there just make it unbearable.

That's not to say everybody who goes there is like that, my friends certainly aren't. But when you have hooligans, wannabe gangsters, and 'mandem' making the SU like it's some kind of 'ghetto hood, yo' it really takes away from what uni is all about.

I agree with you, and I haven't even visited before.
Reply 19
It's on par with London Met.

Except you don't get stabbed at London Met.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending