do we pay bail here? Watch

jus2sik
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i know they do in the US but im not sure if we do here, ive never been arrested and im just curious.

Also then is the bail refunded?
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think so yes. Although right now thanks to a moron judge you can only bail someone for 4 days. :facepalm2:
Kitty Pryde
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Are you planning on being arrested in the near future?
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jus2sik)
i know they do in the US but im not sure if we do here, ive never been arrested and im just curious.
Bail is the practice of releasing a person either from police custody or whilst they're going through the courts, not the sum (the bail bond) which is taken.

Anyway, bail in the UK is almost always on a person's "own recognisance", often with conditions attached. That means no money is involved. Bail will be granted automatically unless there's some reason not to give it - ie, the person might run off. If that's the case, then they'll be remanded in custody.

In the US, there is a developed system of bail bondsmen, who will essentially pay bail and guarantee that the person shows up. If they don't, the bondsman can hire bounty hunters to seek them out, thus retaining their bond from the court.

Also then is the bail refunded?
Yes. That's the point: you give over a sum that the court thinks you won't want to lose as a guarantee you'll come back.
Powersymphonia
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sometimes money or a 'sureity' can be requested from the defendant or a guarentor on behalf of the defendant in return for release on bail for serious cases. However in the UK it is very rare this happens.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
23.93%
Pop (209)
24.88%
Jazz (33)
3.93%
Classical (46)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (162)
19.29%
Electronic (57)
6.79%
Indie (132)
15.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise