The Student Room Group

Acting? The website Starnow.co.uk?

I was thinking about getting into some sort of acting roles, as in, in advertisements, and as an extra, hopefully building up some sort of respectful acting career, either as a side part to my own, or perhaps even full time.

I don't know how to essentially get into it though, and find acting jobs. Is the website Starnow.co.uk good? Have any of you actors here used this? Is it reliable?

The problem is, I have no acting experience, and I didn't do drama at school, because I didn't have the confidence at the time. But, now I do. In school I was fat, now im relatively fit and athletic, which might work in my favour.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Generally they will want experience for big acting jobs - but if you get lucky you can get hired as a complete unknown. Starnow isn't that great, in my experience it spams your inbox. Most of them do - I'm currently in the same situation, although I'm now putting it on the side to study acting or performance at university (or nursing if I go for something completely different) and then trying to enter the industry with more experience. Perhaps you could do this?
Reply 2
Original post by madders94
Generally they will want experience for big acting jobs - but if you get lucky you can get hired as a complete unknown. Starnow isn't that great, in my experience it spams your inbox. Most of them do - I'm currently in the same situation, although I'm now putting it on the side to study acting or performance at university (or nursing if I go for something completely different) and then trying to enter the industry with more experience. Perhaps you could do this?

I would have perhaps considered that before the uni fees went up. Tbf, i'd be happy with just a few extra jobs to begin with, on the side, earning a few extra bob. The simple problem for me is finding them jobs. Where on earth do you find the extra jobs? Where on earth do you hear about auditions?
Reply 3
Original post by uktotalgamer
I would have perhaps considered that before the uni fees went up. Tbf, i'd be happy with just a few extra jobs to begin with, on the side, earning a few extra bob. The simple problem for me is finding them jobs. Where on earth do you find the extra jobs? Where on earth do you hear about auditions?

I sometimes check StarNow and other acting websites, but I don't bother signing up - if I see an audition, I'll see if it has its own website, if not then I don't bother with it. I'm more interested in acting for the stage though, so I check The Stage magazine more.
Original post by madders94

:yes:
Reply 5
Hmm, in which case, where would be the best place to find serious acting jobs? As in, to find out about auditions for films or TV series? Magazines?

For example, how did Daniel Radcliffe find out about the Harry Potter auditions and things like that?
I'm an actor and in my experience you need to find an agent thats where you will get jobs from, casting directors will come to them for people and they'll submit you for an audition, or agents will find work, it may cost money but it will be with it, thats the top way, don't trust starnow its not a legit agency website. If you want to do it yourself go on production websites like warner bros etc. And find an email address to ask if there's any open calls and then they'll ask you for a headshoot and CV, you will find work, everyone has to start from somewhere :smile: good luck :smile:
Original post by Guest1234454
I'm an actor and in my experience you need to find an agent thats where you will get jobs from, casting directors will come to them for people and they'll submit you for an audition, or agents will find work, it may cost money but it will be with it, thats the top way, don't trust starnow its not a legit agency website. If you want to do it yourself go on production websites like warner bros etc. And find an email address to ask if there's any open calls and then they'll ask you for a headshoot and CV, you will find work, everyone has to start from somewhere :smile: good luck :smile:

Any good suggestions to find legit agents (listings,websites etc ) I'm in the North so agents are more scarce to find than in Manchester or London.
Reply 8
Yes. This is how actors you see on t.v .get on t.v.get as much acting experience as you
Can. By joining a drama school even a couple of hours at the weekend. My daughter
Joined the pauline quirke academy of performing arts 3hours every sat. 10 tiil 1 she has been there 3yrs. She joined the agency there. And started to get auditions for t.v and
Comercials we know lots of actors you see on t.v some went to drama school for 2 or 3yrs some never. Don't be put off by not having any experience it slowly comes. My daughter
Is18 now she has no agent at the moment.this is how actors get an agent to get on t.v
1headshot 2 your cv. Telling the agent how much work I.e plays and shows you have done 3 a showreel showing your a versatile actor . Its not rocket sience. Good luck.
I had no acting experience and just got into it when I was 18. And I've had loads of work through star now. You'll see me on three tv shows next year xxx
When I was younger, I expressed my dream of wanting to be on TV adverts. And so my mum researched loads of different agencies until she found the right one for me. Whilst being with my agency, I got into shoots for magazines, websites, adverts, roles as an extra and even a proper role in a movie. Bare in mind, I was only a little so I didn't have any experience at all in acting or modelling.

As for the starnow website, I signed up a few months ago but I haven't tried it because tbh I'm not sure if it can be trusted.

Long story short, it's okay if you haven't got much experience in acting because I'm sure there are loads of agencies out there that are more than happy to help you build your career. Just make sure you find a legit agency that you're comfortable with and you'll have a great acting career in no time!
(edited 6 years ago)
hi
guys, does anyone know how can you get an agent? what's the process and what are the fees?
Basically you don't pay the agent, they only take a commission from the jobs that you do. In my experience, you have to get headshots. They may like you for a particular role with those. If not having experience would also help you to pass the application stage and then meet them in person
The issue is I’m told for a newbie, you’re unlikely to get paid acting jobs.

I have a friend who signed up hoping for a “big break” and the only offers they got were for amateur/student jobs, none of which were paid and a few of which they ended up just running around stuff for.

I don’t mean to be overly negative towards the website, I can only speak based on friends experience! But trying out local community theatres might be a good option?
Original post by Diverial
guys, does anyone know how can you get an agent? what's the process and what are the fees?

You don’t pay an agent, if any agent asks you for fees and or costs, they’re likely a bit dodgy. They get a small commission of any acting jobs you obtain that you got through them.
Original post by FloralHybrid
You don’t pay an agent, if any agent asks you for fees and or costs, they’re likely a bit dodgy. They get a small commission of any acting jobs you obtain that you got through them.

I see. So far, no one wants to take me in because I don't have theatre experience : /
Original post by Diverial
I see. So far, no one wants to take me in because I don't have theatre experience : /

I’d recommend trying local / community theatre groups! They likely won’t be paid - But we all have to start somewhere, and I’ve seen some really good local productions. You can build relationships with people in industry, get some experience 😊
Reply 18
to gain singing experience. .to apply for theatre and acting experience. .and film demo's. .Camden roundhouse run a new artist scheme at £1 an hour...to record sing and make film with professionals...
Reply 19
Media students are always looking for roles for projects that are part of our course,even though most of these jobs are upaid they can help you can valuable experience. We do try and post on casting websites buts its hard to find people when you're manchester based and many dont let you filter by location.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest