Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Is Birmingham City University a good University? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Not sure whether or not to go there as i want to go to a good university,,anyone with an experience of the teaching students etc.
    Im going to be doing computing. Cheers

(Original post by Sunnyd2011)
    Not sure whether or not to go there as i want to go to a good university,,anyone with an experience of the teaching students etc.
    Im going to be doing computing. Cheers
    It's not. Thats the bottom line. What other unis have you managed to get into?

ReputationRep:
    I had thoughts of going there before but after some research and some discussion with current students..BCU is a no-no

ReputationRep:
    Other option is Brighton

(Original post by Sunnyd2011)
    Other option is Brighton
    Okay, again I don't know about the academic reputation of Brighton uni but how could you not go there? I am a big party person and the other day I was down in Brighton. I would definitely go there just for the sake that its in Brighton...by the sea and all that. :P

ReputationRep:
    For Computing? Nopes. For other subject areas? Yes. Depends.

It is one of the best for Art and Design/ Media related subjects. Engineering is quite good as well. But for other courses such as Computing, Business and Law I would suggest you look elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I have been accepted for MSc Audit Management and Consultancy at both BCU and Sheffield Hallam Uni. After looking at the course schedule i figured out that the lectures offered in BCU are much more specialized and overall the programm looks more promising....I am not from the uk so i dont really know about the reputation of universities but after checking some rankings it seems that Sheffield Hallam is ranked higher. Does anyone know about the programme in Audit Management and Consultancy and the reputation of BCU in this sphere? Which option would u take on my place?

ReputationRep:
    Brighton Uni is definately worse than BCU and its based in Moulscoomb (absolute dive). BCU has 27k students and the facilities are quality, but if you want to go down south for nightlife then go to Sussex, its in Brighton and is better than both BCU and Brighton

ReputationRep:
    I would say yes for sure! They have great facilities and over 25,000 students. They are particularly well known for art, media and English. Not sure about computing, but I know most of their departments are very good. Keep your options open for what works best for you, but BCU should definitely be close to the top of your list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike_mike)
    I had thoughts of going there before but after some research and some discussion with current students..BCU is a no-no
    Hey, I've applied and got an offer from BCU and was considering to make it my firm choice. Would be great to know what sort of thing the current students you spoke to said in particular about the uni that put you off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I just signed up to ask you this question so it is very important question for me so please please help me to find an answer for my question. ok so let me share the question, I have applied for Birmingham City University and oxford brooks as well as Nottingham Trent. I have been offered a place at BCU and still waiting for the rest. but my question is, is BCU a good uni for accounting and finance degree? thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    I also applied to Birmingham City and Oxford Brooks. My first choice was BC until now when I heard so much negative attitude toward the city. It is an industrial city with a high rate in crime. I still want to hear sth from somebody who lives there. Anyone?

(Original post by natalia8936)
    I also applied to Birmingham City and Oxford Brooks. My first choice was BC until now when I heard so much negative attitude toward the city. It is an industrial city with a high rate in crime. I still want to hear sth from somebody who lives there. Anyone?
    Depends where in Birmingham you go, some parts are like no go areas at all but there are nice parts as well, it's the same with every major city in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Lawl. I live in Birmingham and love it.

ReputationRep:
    I find this so funny you couldnt have heard more crap.

I live in Birmingham myself and it is the same as EVERY other city in the UK it has good and bad area's.

The city north campus is not in one of the good areas however you dont have to live there the city has excellent shops, transport link, clubs/bars, cultural things etc

Basicially it is only second to london

ReputationRep:
    Well, if i was you I would definitely avoid, The management of Birmingham City University is very poor. I should of known from the very first day i joined , very confused teachers, and they'll get you confused too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nim2)
    Well, if i was you I would definitely avoid, The management of Birmingham City University is very poor. I should of known from the very first day i joined , very confused teachers, and they'll get you confused too.
    could you elaborate please?

ReputationRep:
    i went to a BCU open day and i loved it, i have family living just ten minutes away from me which is even better. Looking forward to being in the city campus in 2015. i'm taking a gap year. It really isn't bad, as someone above said, its second to London, has good and bad parts just like everywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    From what I can see, there's quite a few mixed opinions about BCU. I wanted to ask if anyone knows if the course MSc Integrative Psychotherapy is any good there? Seems like most of the programmes are rather related to Engineering, Media and Arts...

ReputationRep:
    The University of Birmingham is ranked very highly for computing and Aston is not bad either... I'll be applying for both come October

Birmingham seems like a great city from when I have visited, vibrant and not too big like London.

BCU is not great as far as I know.

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.