The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Is Birmingham City University a good University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Birmingham is a god awful city
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Dnator

That depends on personal preference.
Reply 22
Original post by Guy from t'North
That depends on personal preference.

What is it about Birmingham that you like in particular? Having lived here for 6 months it is easily the worst place I have ever been.
Original post by natalia8936
I also applied to Birmingham City and Oxford Brooks. My first choice was BC until now when I heard so much negative attitude toward the city. It is an industrial city with a high rate in crime. I still want to hear sth from somebody who lives there. Anyone?

It has very low crime rates for a big city. :s-smilie: The lowest of all the major ones I believe.
Obviously if you're comparing it to a rural town that's different, but you're unlikely to find another large city that's significantly safer.
Reply 24
Original post by Dnator

Says every person with little - no experience of the city

Birmingham is a GREAT city. It has so much going for it.
Reply 25
Original post by Daniellejo.
It has very low crime rates for a big city. :s-smilie: The lowest of all the major ones I believe.
Obviously if you're comparing it to a rural town that's different, but you're unlikely to find another large city that's significantly safer.

Yup! Lowest of the 10 biggest cities in the UK. Having also lived in Leeds and Bristol I can confirm Birmingham is far safer.
Reply 26
no point spending £27,000 to study at BCU. Do a apprenticeship not only will it save you money,you will be more likely to find a job after. Then you can still go Uni after
Reply 27
Original post by redferry
Says every person with little - no experience of the city

Birmingham is a GREAT city. It has so much going for it.

What is that exactly?
Reply 28
I have had such a horrible uni experience and have become depressed all because of birminghm city university. The teachers are bullies, they only help the pupils who acheaive and not the ones who need support. Awful university and it has definitely wrecked my university experience i would NEVER recommend it
Reply 29
Original post by nim2
Well, if i was you I would definitely avoid, The management of Birmingham City University is very poor. I should of known from the very first day i joined , very confused teachers, and they'll get you confused too.

SO SO true couldnt word it better
Reply 30
I'm currently a second year at BCU on a computing degree... AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS! The lecturers have no idea what they're doing, our course is four months late in receiving coursework and yet they won't extend the deadline to reflect this. We have complained numerous times and have on-going meetings with senior staff who fob us off and make false promises. Go anywhere except here, I have contemplated switching unis or dropping out entirely such an utter disappointment.
Reply 31
Completelt agree
Original post by Sabs1/9
I have had such a horrible uni experience and have become depressed all because of birminghm city university. The teachers are bullies, they only help the pupils who acheaive and not the ones who need support. Awful university and it has definitely wrecked my university experience i would NEVER recommend it

Hi Sabs1/9, this is something that we're disappointed to read. We certainly don't want our students to have a horrible university experience nor do we wish for our students to become ill as a result of this. Could you please send us an email to [email protected] with some details- perhaps we can look into this further if you have already flagged this up to your module leader. We can also have a look at ways of offering you the support you would like- this is what our student services team are here for. We'd certainly like to help our students as much as we can.
Original post by Sluphie
I'm currently a second year at BCU on a computing degree... AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS! The lecturers have no idea what they're doing, our course is four months late in receiving coursework and yet they won't extend the deadline to reflect this. We have complained numerous times and have on-going meetings with senior staff who fob us off and make false promises. Go anywhere except here, I have contemplated switching unis or dropping out entirely such an utter disappointment.

Hi Sluphie, we're disappointed to read. We certainly don't want our students to have a negative experience here at BCU nor would we want you to drop out. We're glad you have taken this to senior staff and appreciate it may take some time for them to look into. However, if you'd like to send us an email on [email protected] then we can see what's happening with this. We'd like to help in any way we can.
Original post by Guy from t'North
The University of Birmingham is ranked very highly for computing and Aston is not bad either... I'll be applying for both come October :smile:

Birmingham seems like a great city from when I have visited, vibrant and not too big like London.

BCU is not great as far as I know.

Hi I know this thread is old but I was thinking of going to BCU to do Diagnostic Radiography, I've heard mixed opinions about BCU however someone said its the environment that's bad about BCU not the teaching.

I also had biochemistry in University of Birmingham as one of options too but I like diagnostic radiography better however its the things that im hearing about BCU that's putting me off, im so confused lol
Original post by lnbourgeois
Hi I know this thread is old but I was thinking of going to BCU to do Diagnostic Radiography, I've heard mixed opinions about BCU however someone said its the environment that's bad about BCU not the teaching.

I also had biochemistry in University of Birmingham as one of options too but I like diagnostic radiography better however its the things that im hearing about BCU that's putting me off, im so confused lol

Bcu is awful it's a joke of a uni just like pretty much any uni outside the top 30/40 uni's

I'd say if you can only get into bcu it isn't worth going and if your considering going here when you have top 30 options you probably aren't too smart.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by paul514
Bcu is awful it's a joke of a uni just like pretty much any uni outside the top 30/40 uni's

I'd say if you can only get into bcu it isn't worth going and if your considering going here when you have top 30 options you probably aren't too smart.

Posted from TSR Mobile

its the only uni that does the course I wanna do in bham and if your gonna say go outside of bham well I cant bc of personal reasons, but hey its your own opinion
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's very good for chef and culinary skills - anything to with catering. The top chefs come there to practice for competitions and most top chefs in the city trained there.

I'd probably suggest avoiding it for non vocational courses though.
Original post by redferry
It's very good for chef and culinary skills - anything to with catering. The top chefs come there to practice for competitions and most top chefs in the city trained there.

I'd probably suggest avoiding it for non vocational courses though.

BCU doesn't run courses in culinary skills or anything like that. You're thinking of the old college of food which is now called UCB. Completely different establishment.
As others have said, it's good for some subjects - definitely Healthcare too. But probably not too great for computing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending