The Student Room Group

will engineering help me avoid a typical 9-5 job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chrislpp
Well then start a business....you will most likely not work 9-5, but you will probably work a lot more and your personal posessions will be collateral in the case of total failure.

depressing bastard
Reply 21
Original post by MathematicsKiller
:confused:

A 9-5 job doesn't sound too bad after all...

I like danger! :biggrin:
Reply 22
I'm a software engineer, work 8:30-5:30. Not sure of the jobs available for a chemical engineer but it seems difficult for many fields to find a job that breaks out of the tedium of 9-5 work. Maybe try the army as previously suggested.
I like adventure too. :biggrin: I've worked offshore a little but it was incredibly intense, but you do get paid very well for your time out there. Also I'd echo what others have said about joining the forces - they do some exciting engineering, although you won't neccessarily be the one designing the stuff from scratch you'll be operating and maintaing state of the art stuff. Or, as someone else said, get into a company that provides products to the MOD. I went to speak to an army careers advice centre recently about engineering jobs and they said that the local TA regiment does bomb disposal with the Royal Engineers and that I might like to try that! How cool is that?!

A lot of my engineering friends are in 9-5 office jobs, but they don't really consider their jobs dull by any means. Their offices are next to factories, workshops, production lines etc. and they get to get their hands dirty, travel and represent their companies. All good fun. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest