The Student Room Group

Struggling with theory test - in 2 days time!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I passed on Thursday, Used the CD that was for sale in asda revised the day before and on the day did all the mock tests and hazard perception tests and passed.
70-80% of the questions on the mock exams were in my actual exams just worded slightly different.

Original post by alex_hk90
Just get the official DSA CD with all the possible test questions and maybe the DVD for Hazard Perception practice. You could learn the whole highway code but for the theory test itself it's a lot easier just to do all the possible questions and memorise the answers.

^this
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by aarora
Don't read the highway code! Buy the CD and just keep doing the questions over and over, all the questions I got asked in my theory were from the CD so I got full marks, don't waste your time with the highway code honestly.

Well you probably should read the highway code. It's there to stop people having stupid accidents.
Reply 22
Original post by aarora
Don't read the highway code! Buy the CD and just keep doing the questions over and over, all the questions I got asked in my theory were from the CD so I got full marks, don't waste your time with the highway code honestly.

From the end of this year, people are going to HAVE to read the Highway Code, because the DSA is going to stop publishing the questions to stop precisely this kind of approach to the theory test.

It's far easier - and a hell of a lot safer - if you can answer the questions because you understand them.

This primary school approach to the driving test is one massive reason why you all end up paying thousands of £££s for your insurance when you eventually pass. Many have accidents because they are dangerously uneducated about driving and seem to want to avoid that ever being put right.

The Highway Code is precisely that. The Theory Test is supposed to test your knowledge of it, so it's shocking that people should try to pass the test without knowing the Code.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by itzme
I am just like you! I have my test on Tuesday and JUST STARTED! Yet, I keep on failing esp when it comes to : you are parking facing uphill, you should apply the handbrake and ...? The correct answer is put in first gear and turn the steering wheels away from the kerb!!!!!
I just bought the Driving test success because they have official questions. I keep on failing and since 2008, they changed the questions and included some which I did not expect.

:frown: I am sooooo panicking right now!

Haven't you thought about WHY you point the wheels away from the kerb?

If you understand WHY you won't have to guess and keep getting it wrong.
Reply 24
Original post by DOAADI
Haven't you thought about WHY you point the wheels away from the kerb?

If you understand WHY you won't have to guess and keep getting it wrong.

I don't remember having had to park uphill. And, no I don't understand why we need to point the wheels away from the kerb. I thought they always had to be straight.
Reply 25
Original post by DOAADI
From the end of this year, people are going to HAVE to read the Highway Code, because the DSA is going to stop publishing the questions to stop precisely this kind of approach to the theory test.

It's far easier - and a hell of a lot safer - if you can answer the questions because you understand them.

This primary school approach to the driving test is one massive reason why you all end up paying thousands of £££s for your insurance when you eventually pass. Many have accidents because they are dangerously uneducated about driving and seem to want to avoid that ever being put right.

The Highway Code is precisely that. The Theory Test is supposed to test your knowledge of it, so it's shocking that people should try to pass the test without knowing the Code.

Is it true??????????? Well, on the CD, when I get the answer wrong, it does not explain why (it's driving test success btw). I remember the correct answer, but it would have been good to know why. As for the thinking distance etc, I just memorise.
Reply 26
What happens if the handbrake fails and the car rolls backwards? Which way will the front go if the wheels are pointing away from the kerb?

What will then happen when the wheels nudge the kerb?

What would happen if the wheels pointed towards the kerb and the car rolled back?

There are various possibilities, of course. If the car moves slightly the wheels will chock against the kerb if the are pointing away from it and probably prevent it rolling. But if it does roll it will roll AWAY from pedestrians.

If they pointed towards the kerb then the car would roll out and then back in, and apart from rolling towards pedestrians it could also pick up just enough speed to mount the kerb.

And you leaave it in gear because it won't roll easily (try pushing a car when it is in gear - you can't move it).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by DOAADI
What happens if the handbrake fails and the car rolls backwards? Which way will the front go if the wheels are pointing away from the kerb?

What will then happen when the wheels nudge the kerb?

What would happen if the wheels pointed towards the kerb and the car rolled back?

There are various possibilities, of course. If the car moves slightly the wheels will chock against the kerb if the are pointing away from it and probably prevent it rolling. But if it does roll it will roll AWAY from pedestrians.

If they pointed towards the kerb then the car would roll out and then back in, and apart from rolling towards pedestrians it could also pick up just enough speed to mount the kerb.

And you leaave it in gear because it won't roll easily (try pushing a car when it is in gear - you can't move it).

I totally forgot about this!

Thank you very much. I understand now why it is better to prepare for both the practical and theory tests at the same time: you can reflect back on what you do in your lessons.
Reply 28
The announcement about not publishing theory test questions anymore was made last November:

http://www.diaryofanadi.co.uk/?p=4061
Reply 29
I have a VERY important question: is the theory test still composed of 50 questions? I have taken a mock 'official' test and was given 100 questions to answer in 1 hour and 30 minutes (so not the usual 57 minutes). Also, there are things like the gestalt way of learning. Am I using the appropriate material?
Are the categories still: alerrness, accidents, vulnerable road users etc. I am using a dvd and the categories are as follow: road procedure, traffic signs and signals, car control, pedestrians, mechanical knowledge, disabilities, law, publications, instructional techniques.

Please tell me the theory test has not been changed into 100 questions with all these categories!!!!
Reply 30
Didn't you say that you were using the instructor question bank? That IS 100 questions on their test, and gestalt learning is one for them - they're supposed to use it on YOU :smile:

For normal cars and motorycles it is out of 50. And everything you need to know is here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/TheoryTest/DG_4022534
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by DOAADI
Didn't you say that you were using the instructor question bank? That IS 100 questions on their test, and gestalt learning is one for them - they're supposed to use it on YOU :smile:

For normal cars and motorycles it is out of 50. And everything you need to know is here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/TheoryTest/DG_4022534

Phewwwwwwwwwwwww! I am feeling so much better! I was surprised at some of the questions like 'someone with sight in only 1 eye passed a category B test, what should the examienr issue?' and the answer was a normal pass certificate.

But, the DVD I am using is similar to this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Success-Tests-2011/dp/B00428MA4U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310236494&sr=8-3

However, this is the only 2011 material I have. All the others date from July 2008. I guess they are outdated. Is it still ok for me to prepare using the questions from the DVD I have, even if they are harder? Shall I just use the normal one from 2008 ? I am aware that there were no case studies then.

I just can't buy anything more: had to buy an external dvd writer because my laptop's faulty. :frown: I also cannot exchange the dvd because the test is on tuesday.
Please help!!!!!
Reply 32
Original post by DOAADI

You can continue with your lecture, but at the end of the day thats how I and many others passed :cool:
And the questions are all based on the highway code so what's the problem its just a simpler and quicker way of learning it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by FXX
Well you probably should read the highway code. It's there to stop people having stupid accidents.

Well I didn't read it and still passed and also the questions were all based on the highway code and I got them right so what's the ****ing problem
Reply 34
The problem is that you're out on the road (or will be) without a clue - and with a bad attitude.

Like I said, that's why your age group has to pay huge insurance premiums, even if the majority aren't clueless.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by itzme
However, this is the only 2011 material I have. All the others date from July 2008. I guess they are outdated. Is it still ok for me to prepare using the questions from the DVD I have, even if they are harder? Shall I just use the normal one from 2008 ? I am aware that there were no case studies then.

I just can't buy anything more: had to buy an external dvd writer because my laptop's faulty. :frown: I also cannot exchange the dvd because the test is on tuesday.
Please help!!!!!

That disk has got YOUR questions on it. It sounds like you just chose the wrong option and selected the Instructor question bank.
My test was on the Monday and I read through the book with a gazillion questions the weekend before as I'd misplaced the CD. Even then I didn't read all the book, just a few pages of each section and I was fine. You get the hang of them pretty quickly as they're quite monotonous. As for the hazard perception, online I think there's just a few practice videos.
Reply 37
Okay so I suppose I need to pop to Asda or somewhere TODAY before midnight to revise tomorrow all day. Who has the cheapest DVD for the theory test questions?

Also, what should I look out for on the hazard perception apart from cyclists, sudden stopping and lorries?
Original post by Handbag
Also, what should I look out for on the hazard perception apart from cyclists, sudden stopping and lorries?

Pedestrians.
Reply 39
Was this in the Highway Code too? : s

The fluid level in your battery is low. What should you top it up with?

Mark one answer.

Battery acid
Distilled water
Engine oil
Engine coolant

and this

What percentage of all emissions does road transport account for?

Mark one answer.

10%
20%
30%
40%
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending