The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough 2012 Freshers + FAQ/Info

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Just came back from loughborough, even tho the uni is oneaster vacation now, I liked the fact that it big and open. Even tho I didn't get to see the chemical engineering department and all the halls thoroughly enough, I can say that it looks good and I've firmed it and it's my unconditional offer anw so I'm going there for sure :tongue:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 421
Hey :smile: Just been offered a conditional place for Illustration next September..anyone else had any offers for Illustration and considering going? :smile: I've made it my firm choice now as it's definitely the best uni I've seen!

Also, has anyone thinking of studying there looked at their accommodation.. there's so much to choose from! I have no idea which to go for!

Lucy x
Original post by Lucyc19
Hey :smile: Just been offered a conditional place for Illustration next September..anyone else had any offers for Illustration and considering going? :smile: I've made it my firm choice now as it's definitely the best uni I've seen!

Also, has anyone thinking of studying there looked at their accommodation.. there's so much to choose from! I have no idea which to go for!

Lucy x

I have a conditional for Fine Art, which is sort of similar :smile: I'm definitely going, too. I know, they have loads of halls, but I want to see if I can get an ensuite which narrows it down a bit. Have you just got your offer?
Reply 423
Yes guessing we'll be in the same building :smile: Yes, got mine last week :smile: It was between Loughborough and Lincoln but Loughborough seems a more prestigious uni and just seems to have everything I could want! Yes I'd like ensuite too ideally and definitely don't fancy sharing if I'm honest lol..but would also like to live quite close to the Student Union etc. and not too far from where we'll be studying.. maybe this is too much to ask haha
Reply 424
Original post by monande
im in exactly same position as you atm! loved everything about loughbroough just wish it was in astons location. i could see myself loving lough for the first 2 years at a push and then after that i think i would need to get out of the 'bubble'. On the other hand astons campus is not that great, but its Birminghammmm! an exciting city lots to do and see ! and nightlife is supposed to be amazing!
Aston tbh is a slightly better course for me but both are very similar
Im still very confused, but good luck with your choice!
:biggrin:

Yeah, i prefered the feel of loughborough but i think the location of Aston and the course is slightly better. So confused! Good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by Lucyc19
Yes guessing we'll be in the same building :smile: Yes, got mine last week :smile: It was between Loughborough and Lincoln but Loughborough seems a more prestigious uni and just seems to have everything I could want! Yes I'd like ensuite too ideally and definitely don't fancy sharing if I'm honest lol..but would also like to live quite close to the Student Union etc. and not too far from where we'll be studying.. maybe this is too much to ask haha

Yeah I think so, apparently they moved Illustration to the same area/building as Fine Art. Loughborough was actually my 5th choice when I first applied because it was the only one I hadn't been to and the website doesn't really give much away. When I went for my interview though, I was really glad I'd applied! It's really nice, and the studio spaces are huge compared to other places. Also apparently they're pretty flexible, and since I kind of go between fine art and illustration it seemed like the perfect place :smile:

I don't fancy sharing either, not in the first year at least. I wouldn't mind in the second year as much, since I'd know people and I might be living with them. It's not like I have an ensuite at home, but it'd feel like showers/bathrooms at the swimming pool or something :s-smilie: Obviously they wouldn't be strangers for long, but I'd rather not have to worry about someone else being in the shower when I'd be worrying about making friends with people at the same time :tongue: The one's I've been looking at are Butler Court (opposite the art buildings), William Morris (really near the Student Union) and Telford (only 'cause it has the cheapest ensuites haha, but appparently it's not that great vibe-wise). Did you want a self-catered one or catered?
Reply 426
Original post by Becca-123
Yeah, i prefered the feel of loughborough but i think the location of Aston and the course is slightly better. So confused! Good luck to you too! :smile:

exactly the same as me then !what course are you applying for btw ???
Reply 427
Original post by monande
exactly the same as me then !what course are you applying for btw ???

Im applying for Business and Management at Aston. Banking and Management at Loughborough. You?
Reply 428
Yep having an ensuite does seem to make the price soo much more expensive! I looked at Butler Court though from what I remember most of the rooms are shared :/ William Morris does look really nice though plus it's quite central.. apparently it's super popular though which is no surpise! Beginning to wonder whether I might just have to not have an ensuite and get used to sharing a bathroom..though I agree that I'd definitely rather have my own! I might look into Harry French as I have a feeling that's near-ish the Art school.. x
Reply 429
Im applying for Business and Management at Aston. Banking and Management at Loughborough. You?

international business at both! have you made your kind up ? think im going for aston !:colondollar::smile:
Original post by Lucyc19
Yep having an ensuite does seem to make the price soo much more expensive! I looked at Butler Court though from what I remember most of the rooms are shared :/ William Morris does look really nice though plus it's quite central.. apparently it's super popular though which is no surpise! Beginning to wonder whether I might just have to not have an ensuite and get used to sharing a bathroom..though I agree that I'd definitely rather have my own! I might look into Harry French as I have a feeling that's near-ish the Art school.. x

Yeah most of the rooms are shared, but there are some single ensuite rooms which must be huge, since they're the same as the shared ones but with one bed! They're really expensive though. I know, William Morris does seem to be one of the most popular ones, but the rooms look really nice and I guess some people have to get the rooms, so I might have that as my top choice and then try to find some compromises. Some of the places (William Morris included) seem to have cleaners to clean all the shared areas, which I assume includes the bathrooms. I might look into some of them, because part of the reason I don't want to share is that I'm a bit scared some people might not care about keeping things clean as much as I do. The idea of cleaning up after other people is just...eww. If I can't have an ensuite, I definitely want a washbasin in my room. Harry French does look nice in the pictures, but I wouldn't worry too much about being close to the art school because apparently the furthest you'd have to walk is about 20 minutes. I'd rather live closer than that though, if possible.
Reply 431
I thought Butler Court did seem pretty expensive too so I'm also thinking of going for William Morris on the off chance I get lucky..though you're right, someone's got to live there haha! Yeah I agree with you about cleaning..don't fancy cleaning on everyone's behalf all the time haha because I do like things nice and clean if possible! That is true, and when I was there for Open Day we seemed to walk from one half of the campus all the way to the other in no time..so distance isn't too much of an issue now that I think about it :smile: Just can't wait to go now! It's May sometime when we have to choose our accommodation isn't it? I'm paranoid I'll forget lol! x
Reply 432
Original post by monande
international business at both! have you made your kind up ? think im going for aston !:colondollar::smile:

I think im going for Aston too!
Original post by Lucyc19
I thought Butler Court did seem pretty expensive too so I'm also thinking of going for William Morris on the off chance I get lucky..though you're right, someone's got to live there haha! Yeah I agree with you about cleaning..don't fancy cleaning on everyone's behalf all the time haha because I do like things nice and clean if possible! That is true, and when I was there for Open Day we seemed to walk from one half of the campus all the way to the other in no time..so distance isn't too much of an issue now that I think about it :smile: Just can't wait to go now! It's May sometime when we have to choose our accommodation isn't it? I'm paranoid I'll forget lol! x

Haha, it sounds like we're looking for the exact same thing! :tongue: Even forgetting about the bathroom, the idea of having to live with a stereotypical dirty student kitchen is scaring me a bit! The thought of dirty pans and plates and things all over the place makes me feel sick, I really hope the people I end up living with aren't like that. Which is another bonus for picking somewhere that gets cleaned :smile: I have a feeling I might turn into an obsessive cleaner if no one else does. I didn't go to an open day, I wish I had though. I just went to my interview, and we had a drive down the road that goes through the middle of the campus, but we didn't get out and walk or anything. I might go to the open day in June/July, or have a look around if I can get to the degree show. I don't think you'll forget about the accommodation booking, they send an email in May or something with the dates and times you can book. Unconditional students are in May, but conditional people have to wait til the start of June. It's really annoying though, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in France when I have to book in June, so I hope the internet works properly when I'm there!
Reply 434

I have no idea about the course but how anyone could prefer living slap bang in the middle of Birmingham to Loughborough I don't know....good rail links are about the only positive thing I can think of for the Location.

I think you have to balance going where you *feel* most happy and where you think the course will be right. Personally I would go with the more interesting course, as I can tell you from personal experience finding yourself on the wrong course is a really ****e experience and it also requires a lot of effort to put right (i.e. change track).
Reply 435
Haha it does! Is it 3 different types of accommodation we have to choose? If so, that's not too bad as fingers crossed we'll get offered 1 of the 3, rather than just 1 choice! Now I'm thinking of going for a room with just a wash basin too..I think that would be okay plus that'd save a fortune as there seems to be a hugee leap if you want an ensuite! I agree, if there's a cleaner I wouldn't mind at all but I wouldn't fancy living somewhere which was always grubby haha! :mad: Yep that could be worth doing, I already want to go back again haha, so keen! Ahh ok thanks, as mine is conditional looks like I'll be waiting til June..least I have about 3 months to finalise my choices lol
Original post by Lucyc19
Haha it does! Is it 3 different types of accommodation we have to choose? If so, that's not too bad as fingers crossed we'll get offered 1 of the 3, rather than just 1 choice! Now I'm thinking of going for a room with just a wash basin too..I think that would be okay plus that'd save a fortune as there seems to be a hugee leap if you want an ensuite! I agree, if there's a cleaner I wouldn't mind at all but I wouldn't fancy living somewhere which was always grubby haha! :mad: Yep that could be worth doing, I already want to go back again haha, so keen! Ahh ok thanks, as mine is conditional looks like I'll be waiting til June..least I have about 3 months to finalise my choices lol

I'm not completely sure how it works, I should probably check the website again. I think if you're lucky, you can book your actual room online in June, e.g. ensuite William Morris, and that's the one you will get. Otherwise, I think you can register your "preferences" or something, where you choose 3 different places or room types or something, and they try to find you a room based on those choices (whether it's one of them or something similar, I don't know). I think what I'll end up doing is making a long list of different room types in different places, putting them in order of which I'd prefer and then go through the online booking looking at that, instead of getting into a panic and choosing one I don't really want. I hate being unorganised :tongue: I want to go back again too, 'cause now that I've firmed it I can look around thinking "I'm going to live here", as opposed to before when I didn't want to think like that in case I jinxed it and got a rejection! Have you looked around the town before? I haven't yet, but I really want to. It looks nice in Google Images :wink:
Reply 437
Hi I've got a conditional place on the Art Foundation course at Loughborough for Sept 2012, I'm thinking Faraday halls? What's everyone else thinking? I know two people that stayed in Faraday for two years and they both loved it so I think I'll go for it :smile:
Reply 438
Original post by Village Whisper
I'm not completely sure how it works, I should probably check the website again. I think if you're lucky, you can book your actual room online in June, e.g. ensuite William Morris, and that's the one you will get. Otherwise, I think you can register your "preferences" or something, where you choose 3 different places or room types or something, and they try to find you a room based on those choices (whether it's one of them or something similar, I don't know). I think what I'll end up doing is making a long list of different room types in different places, putting them in order of which I'd prefer and then go through the online booking looking at that, instead of getting into a panic and choosing one I don't really want. I hate being unorganised :tongue: I want to go back again too, 'cause now that I've firmed it I can look around thinking "I'm going to live here", as opposed to before when I didn't want to think like that in case I jinxed it and got a rejection! Have you looked around the town before? I haven't yet, but I really want to. It looks nice in Google Images :wink:

Yep that sounds the same as what I read somewhere else! :smile: I've done the same haha..got a long list of possible choices though I keep changing my mind about my favourite! Haha yes I thought about doing the same as although I've been there a couple of times I've only really seen the Design School and that area rather than the actual Student Village, Union etc.! I've been to the town once and it is quite nice (it's got everything you'd need) though it's not massive..but perhaps that could be a better thing as possibly more friendly? :smile:
Reply 439
Original post by Lmtaylor
Hi I've got a conditional place on the Art Foundation course at Loughborough for Sept 2012, I'm thinking Faraday halls? What's everyone else thinking? I know two people that stayed in Faraday for two years and they both loved it so I think I'll go for it :smile:

Hey I've got a conditional place too but for Illustration :smile: I really like the look of William Morris though it is quite pricey so I'm thinking I may go for Harry French or I have been tempted by some accommodation in the student village such as Royce (though it's catered!) So many to choose from! I haven't yet looked at Faraday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending