The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yeah I hate family guy- I love the simpsons and c how thats funny but family guy's just rubbish
Reply 21
Original post by TheSownRose
No, I can honestly say I watched that without a smile. :frown:

even the "call 9..1..blegghhhh!" bit?! :biggrin:

i think the show is definitely marmite, love or hate.
Reply 22
Original post by popple7

No, sorry. :dontknow:
Reply 23
It's probably just too intellectual for you.
Original post by popple7

if you're going to explain what you mean by 'marmite', why bother saying it at all?
I enjoyed the 1st Star Wars one they did but by the 3rd one they even admitted they'd run out of ideas and duly it was terrible.

Some of it is quite funny but some of the 'jokes' are just so random and long-winded.
There was a new one me and my housemates watched recently involving Lois's dad in a digger trying to destroy a bench, it went on for literally 10 minutes just to get to the punchline which wasn't funny. We all just looked at each other eyebrows raised.
Hmm I reckon it's alright, but I wouldn't rave about it. I can see why some people would love it, and see why others wouldn't find it amusing, but I'm indifferent about it.

I do still prefer the classic British sitcoms - Only Fools etc :smile:
Hate it with the fire of a thousand suns.
Original post by popple7
the references are lost on us brits, a lot of the time. i prefer american dad, mostly cuz of roger :love:

although brian and stewie are a brilliant double act. and family guy has some seriously funny moments.... my favourite being this scene... which made me cry with laughter when i first saw it.

not for the feint hearted!

I really don't get how this is funny :frown: sorry
Reply 29
My main problem with it is the cutaway gags. The episode will chug along and then someone will say "This is worse than when person x tried activity y". Cue three-minute joke which has no relevance to the main story and upsets the pacing of the episode, and there you go.
I'm sure there must be other people out there, and yet I've never actually found one in the general population.

I've given Family Guy a couple of good chances in the past, reasoned that maybe I just caught a couple of duff episodes ... until I'd seen too many for this to hold true, I had to just accept that I don't find it funny.

Anyone agree with me or, if not, care to explain where the humour is?

I agree, it's shocking. All cartoon comedy things are poor.

Chat show ones are good, mock the week, russel howards good news to name a couple. the old comedies are the best; only fools and horses topping the list.
Reply 31
Nyah, I don't find it all that funny, but it's not terrible.

Blatant rip off of The Simpsons though.
Reply 32
yeah. i dont get some of the jokes but i still like family guy.
Reply 33
Dont find it hilarious but dont really find it boring either.
I'm sure there must be other people out there, and yet I've never actually found one in the general population.

I've given Family Guy a couple of good chances in the past, reasoned that maybe I just caught a couple of duff episodes ... until I'd seen too many for this to hold true, I had to just accept that I don't find it funny.

Anyone agree with me or, if not, care to explain where the humour is?

I work in a retail store whicg mainly sells dvds and blu rays. Familt Guy is very popular, yet it completely escapes me.

I really mean this when i say it- ive never ever watched an episode of it and found the slightest second of it remotely funny or entertaining.
In my eyes, its just vulgar, forced humour, written by scriptwriters with very poor taste. Yet many people I know love it.

I much prefer the likes of South Park, Beavis and butthead, king of the hill- and thats saying something as I dont find them funny in the slightest.
I have always thought Family Guy is overrated. I don't mind the Simpsons, I love South Park, and I thought Family Guy would be great as a social satire programme like South Park but it just is not in the same league. I find it bizarre how some people worship it though and all the time if Im on facebook chat or something some of my mates send me links of Family Guy to watch, they are never that good.
Reply 36
tbh honest i sort of came to the conclusion that people who don't like it, generally have not a good a sense of humor as those who do like it... Just telling from the people i have met that don't like it, generally just the worst people to be around... just an opinion really, no harm meant
Original post by popple7
the references are lost on us brits, a lot of the time. i prefer american dad, mostly cuz of roger :love:

although brian and stewie are a brilliant double act. and family guy has some seriously funny moments.... my favourite being this scene... which made me cry with laughter when i first saw it.

not for the feint hearted!

Speak for yourself, several of my friends share this opinion and don't watch it as a result...

I can see why, but I guess im too in touch with american pop culture. Which is probably a bad thing.
Reply 38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXHaCEhOiWU
most people i showed this to have been in hysterics, but if your not a fan of family guy then you probably would just sit there like wtf... but we were pretty heavily under the influence of..... yea so if you can work out what we were on you can probably imagine why it was funny :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
I enjoyed the 1st Star Wars one they did but by the 3rd one they even admitted they'd run out of ideas and duly it was terrible.

Some of it is quite funny but some of the 'jokes' are just so random and long-winded.
There was a new one me and my housemates watched recently involving Lois's dad in a digger trying to destroy a bench, it went on for literally 10 minutes just to get to the punchline which wasn't funny. We all just looked at each other eyebrows raised.

hahhaha I love that

Latest

Trending

Trending