How long does a bank transfer take

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Bleak Lemming
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have to send my mother some money on Monday, I'm with Natwest and she is with Lloyds TSB.

How long does it take for the funds to move to her account if I go to the bank first thing on Monday morning?

Am I right in saying these sort of transfers are instant these days?

If not is there any way I can pay some sort of fee to have it sent instantly?

Thanks people.
flipshot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you go into a bank then they may only let you do a CHAPS transfer which costs around £30 but goes through on the same day.

Doing it online or via telephone banking is much easier and will let you send it via Faster Payments for free, this takes up to 2 hrs but is normally instant.
Shani
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you go into your mum's bank with her bank acc no and sort code, and obviously her name, you can pay it directly into her account and it will cost you nothing, if you can pay cash in. Online transfers sometimes only take 2 hours but can take longer, depending on the accounts.
Bleak Lemming
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shani)
If you go into your mum's bank with her bank acc no and sort code, and obviously her name, you can pay it directly into her account and it will cost you nothing, if you can pay cash in. Online transfers sometimes only take 2 hours but can take longer, depending on the accounts.

(Original post by flipshot)
If you go into a bank then they may only let you do a CHAPS transfer which costs around £30 but goes through on the same day.

Doing it online or via telephone banking is much easier and will let you send it via Faster Payments for free, this takes up to 2 hrs but is normally instant.

Thats great thanks
torchwood
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
if its from a business account it usually takes about 2 hours (well mine does anyway) and up to 3 working days from a personal account. This is for online banking, it may or may not differ if you went to a branch.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends how big the transfer is. Banks have a limit on how much you can send by Faster Payments, so if it's over about £1000 or so (though this depends on the bank, some have larger limits) it will go by BACS which takes 3 days.
Shani
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I do BACS transfers in work all the time, for amounts up to perhaps £5k and they're within 2 hours. It just depends on your bank's and the receiving bank's procedures etc.
flipshot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Shani)
I do BACS transfers in work all the time, for amounts up to perhaps £5k and they're within 2 hours. It just depends on your bank's and the receiving bank's procedures etc.
They won't be BACS payments, that will be Faster Payments. BACS takes 3 working days no matter what the amount.
ghn4hh5n6232d
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I transfer cash to a Lloyds TSB account from my current NatWest account (via online banking) on a regular basis and it generally appears in their account immediately.
Shani
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by flipshot)
They won't be BACS payments, that will be Faster Payments. BACS takes 3 working days no matter what the amount.
You better tell HSBC to stop calling the link to the payment that you have to click to get to the page to put in the amount "BACS payment" then
Bleak Lemming
Rep:
?
I think things are generally sent via CHAPS or something which is meant to happen on the same day?

(Original post by Linnean)
I transfer cash to a Lloyds TSB account from my current NatWest account (via online banking) on a regular basis and it generally appears in their account immediately.
Great news thanks
Crawley Haywards
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bleak Lemming)
I have to send my mother some money on Monday, I'm with Natwest and she is with Lloyds TSB.

How long does it take for the funds to move to her account if I go to the bank first thing on Monday morning?

Am I right in saying these sort of transfers are instant these days?

If not is there any way I can pay some sort of fee to have it sent instantly?

Thanks people.
I sent someone something to Natwest from Bank of Scotland which is part of the Lloyds Banking Group/HBoS - and it was instant; funnily enough, this was on a Monday around 0900 - online.
Bleak Lemming
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crawley Haywards)
I sent someone something to Natwest from Bank of Scotland which is part of the Lloyds Banking Group/HBoS - and it was instant; funnily enough, this was on a Monday around 0900 - online.
Thats great thanks, would that still be the case if it's to a new payee? (someone ive not sent anything to before).. cos I know the bank has to set it up on my account.

Hopefully that shouldnt affect it
Bleak Lemming
Rep:
?
with the card reader and stuff ^^
Derfel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Usually within an hour or two. I've sent money to pay for my rent before from NatWest and they usually get it either within a few hours or the next working day. Also had someone send money from a Lloyds account to myself and they get charged £2.25 for an instant transfer, best to pop into your local branch and check.
Bleak Lemming
Rep:
?
went to natwest and they said it should have transferred through by the end of the day
Crawley Haywards
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bleak Lemming)
Thats great thanks, would that still be the case if it's to a new payee? (someone ive not sent anything to before).. cos I know the bank has to set it up on my account.

Hopefully that shouldnt affect it
Hi, Yup, it OK-ed as a new payee. But Bank of Scot don't seem to use CAP card readeers.
Crawley Haywards
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just as a future idea: if you want it to be totally instant, walk into a branch of Lloyds, and credit it over-the-counter.
jenifferhomes
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What simply you have to do is to use 'Quick Transfer' box to the left of the 'Account summary' page, this will allow you to make an immediate transfer. If you face any problem in the transaction you can also contact NatWest Customer service here.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jenifferhomes)
What simply you have to do is to use 'Quick Transfer' box to the left of the 'Account summary' page, this will allow you to make an immediate transfer. If you face any problem in the transaction you can also contact NatWest Customer service here.
It doesn't take 5 years, so the transfer will be done now
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (145)
15.81%
Uncertainty around my education (151)
16.47%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (87)
9.49%
Isolating with family (63)
6.87%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.6%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (80)
8.72%
Loneliness (93)
10.14%
Financial worries (38)
4.14%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (82)
8.94%
Exposure to negative news/social media (62)
6.76%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (83)
9.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed