The Student Room Group

I want to go on holiday by myself

Hi,

Basically I love travelling. I have always travelled with family to lots of places around the world, but now I'm nearly 20 and I wont to start travelling places without my family. I was talking to my friends about going somewhere next year but they are not keen on the idea. I really want to go to places such as Beirut, Jordan, Israel etc. Now as my friends are not into going to places like that I was wondering is it weird to go on holiday by yourself? Has anyone been on holiday by themselves? Is it boring being in a place for 2ish weeks on your own? Really need your views guys :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If YOU want to go then go. Enjoy it. Meet new people. :smile:
loads of people travel on there own :smile: i met a guy in greece that was from boston and he had been travelling for like 4 weeks and met loads of different people :smile: your only young once why not eh?
No, lots of people do it, and there are special singles packages you can get so that you can make friends with other people that want to holiday alone. Going on your own is probably better in a way because you can do what you want, when you want.
Reply 4
In a country all alone, no friends or family for company, in an environment that you're not familiar with and can't even speak their language.

I say go for it
Reply 5
go for it, plus it'll be cheaper- there's loads of special offer and deals for single packages
Reply 6
I've always wanted to do it, just need to save the money to be able to go.

It seems more expensive to go on your own (more so for accomodation), but who cares. I don't want to do what other people want to, and I'm quite an independent person.

Good luck :smile:
It is absolutely not weird at all. I am 18 and am going travelling in 5 weeks time for a 6-week trip from Istanbul through Iraqi Kurdistan to Beirut, Jordan then Egypt. If you are interested get in touch ASAP. I am away somewhere else from tomorrow so may not reply for a bit but if you are interested in linking up, give me a shout.

Independent travel through 'difficult' regions is always easier, and far more rewarding, than most believe. Good on you for wanting to take the opportunity.

Ben
Original post by eff01
Hi,

Basically I love travelling. I have always travelled with family to lots of places around the world, but now I'm nearly 20 and I wont to start travelling places without my family. I was talking to my friends about going somewhere next year but they are not keen on the idea. I really want to go to places such as Beirut, Jordan, Israel etc. Now as my friends are not into going to places like that I was wondering is it weird to go on holiday by yourself? Has anyone been on holiday by themselves? Is it boring being in a place for 2ish weeks on your own? Really need your views guys :biggrin:

If you want to go then go :smile: you'll meet loads of new people on holiday if you stay in a hostel e.t.c. especially in the Middle East and you might be able to tag along with them if they're going to a place you're interested in (thats if you're backpacking).

I've never been travelling by myself but I know plenty of people who have done and have thought it was better then travelling with friends as you get to do what YOU want and not what everyone else wants!
I can honestly say if you want to go to Israel for 2 weeks you wont be bored also I think you can do day trips to Jordan e.t.c.

So go for it like someone else said you only live once!
Reply 9
I live by myself in a foreign country and I always go on weekends on my own. Usually it helps if I know someone in that other city, so at least one of the evenings I can have dinner with someone. But if you make it a habit of traveling on your own, then you will get to know people everywhere. I very much value the people I have met when I've been places alone. Plus taking on a new area by yourself really makes you feel independent and alive and I love that :smile:
Also the enormous freedom that when you go somewhere you can go to whatever area you want when you want and you don't need to wait for someone else to finish trying on clothes or whatever. It'll be your holiday.
As a girl there are countries I wouldn't go by myself, but you are free to travel wherever :smile:
Personally, I think it's a weird thing to do and I would never ever go on holiday by myself. I would always go with at least one other person. Certainly if I told people in real life I was going on holiday on my own, I'd get weird looks from absolutely everyone. I mean, I know you shouldn't let other people control what you do, but you have to draw a line somewhere on what's weird and socially unacceptable - I believe going on holiday on your own crosses that line.

But hey, internet people seem to think differently to me :dontknow: The only people I know who have been on holiday by themselves have been from the internet - what does that tell you?
Reply 11
Just do it then!
I'd feel completely comfortable doing it and would love to. None of my friends could afford it anyway and tbh I don't think I would be going with the right people even if I did.

But my family's reaction alone has put me off. They seem to think its a little bit odd and I'd imagine some people would think I'm a bit sad.
Reply 13
Original post by eff01
Hi,

I get the impression that my mum would be happy to let me backpack to Mogadishu via Iraq, Afghanistan and the Gaza strip so long as I was always polite and had clean underwear. It would appear you will be fine then. :smile:
its a cool idea but always better to have someone to keep you companied, especially in places you are unfamiliar of :smile:
Every year I take one big holiday by myself, and then usually one small one with friends. I much prefer travelling on my own. I've done 8 weeks in America, 8 weeks in Canada, 12 weeks in Italy and am about to do 4 weeks travelling through Africa :smile:
Original post by Charlottie93
I've never been travelling by myself but I know plenty of people who have done and have thought it was better then travelling with friends as you get to do what YOU want and not what everyone else wants!

Yup, that's exactly it. To start with, I normally go to locations nobody has ever heard of while they are much happier going to Mallorca and places like that. And then I feel that I've spent so much money that I want to be doing what I want to do. To be honest I've never really been alone - you tend to meet people very quickly! I usually meet someone I click with within a couple of days and then we will usually travel a bit together.
Original post by wordsearch
Yup, that's exactly it. To start with, I normally go to locations nobody has ever heard of while they are much happier going to Mallorca and places like that. And then I feel that I've spent so much money that I want to be doing what I want to do. To be honest I've never really been alone - you tend to meet people very quickly! I usually meet someone I click with within a couple of days and then we will usually travel a bit together.

Your holidays sound exactly like mine (although I've only ever been away with the parents but they always let me pick!) I can't wait till I get a new passport just so that I can travel again!

But OP really you'll be fine don't worry :smile:
If you want to travel on your own then you should do it, lots of people do, my best friend did and he had a great time, he didn't have anyone to argue with or worry about and did what he wanted to do
Reply 19
It's important to convince your family you want to go travel by yourself and explore the world. It would be good if you had a travel plan and know exactly where you wanted to go and where you'd stay. I never travelled by myself but next year I'm planning to go to Australia or Argentina through the exchange programme. Go for it, and go as soon as possible before you change your mind! :smile: Hope I helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending