Watch
This discussion is closed.
z0tx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello!

I am planning on buying a laptop for university. I have found two sellers offering exactly the same computer, for approximately the same price, the only difference is the hard drive: one is a 128 Gb SSD, the other a 500 Gb HDD.
(I already own an external USB drive of 500 Gb by the way)

Which would be wiser to buy do you think? Any advice is welcome! Thanks!
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
From what I've seen, the boost to loading speeds that an SSD offers can be substantial. If you don't mind storing your documents in an external drive, you have the best of both worlds with performance and capacity. However it's hardly going to revolutionise your computing experience, and if you need the disk space but don't want to lug an external drive round with you when you move around, the larger capacity HDD may be more suitable.
estel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A 500GB hard drive is tiny, so if you can get a 128GB SSD that's a much better value for money proposition.

However, I'd advise you buy that as well as an extra 2TB hard drive, if you can afford that.
Young Spade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by estel)
A 500GB hard drive is tiny, so if you can get a 128GB SSD that's a much better value for money proposition.

However, I'd advise you buy that as well as an extra 2TB hard drive, if you can afford that.
The first sentence I typed I disagreed with you, then I realized what you were saying.

The SSD will give you better speed across the board; I would go for that. If you have the external HDD to which you can load media that you haven't watched or whatever, I'd get the SSD.
alexsheppard11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you have space elsewhere, get the SSD
H.C. Chinaski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am using SSD's for OS + key software titles on 3 machines .... The speed id incredible. Very much worth it. For work documents I simply use dropbox and find the 3GB I have to be enough. For Media I have 4 TB across 2 NAS Drives and various external drives ranging form 500gb to 1.5TB.
Refrigerator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the 128gb ssd is worth a LOT more than the 500gb hard drive, so get the SSD and use an external hard drive or something if need be
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by z0tx)
Hello!

I am planning on buying a laptop for university. I have found two sellers offering exactly the same computer, for approximately the same price, the only difference is the hard drive: one is a 128 Gb SSD, the other a 500 Gb HDD.
(I already own an external USB drive of 500 Gb by the way)

Which would be wiser to buy do you think? Any advice is welcome! Thanks!
If you're going to carry it round, I'd say SSD, just incase you drop it while you're carrying it. But then HDDs are pretty much invincible nowadays, in my experience.

Personally, I'd go with the HDD, but that's because I have loads of software installed on my boxes, from Visual Studio 2010 to Unreal Tournament 2004, plus emulators, plus QEMU, and sh!-loads of other meaningless and useless crap.

Because I'm hardcore and frag during lectures.
z0tx
Rep:
?
Thanks to all. Unfortunately the SSD was sold...
I am hesitating as to whether I should get the other, or wait for another offer to pop up... The computer is a Macbook Pro, i5 2.4GHz, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, 15". Do you sincerely think its worth it for £850?
rY4uGD1fMzBj4xe2
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by z0tx)
Thanks to all. Unfortunately the SSD was sold...
I am hesitating as to whether I should get the other, or wait for another offer to pop up... The computer is a Macbook Pro, i5 2.4GHz, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, 15". Do you sincerely think its worth it for £850?
Lol, no.
z0tx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ritchie888)
Lol, no.
Sorry didn't put it well... I know its worth it, but would it maybe be wiser to wait? What I mean is: is the SSD that much of an advantage?
ahpadt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Buy an SSD later on and install it yourself.
rY4uGD1fMzBj4xe2
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by z0tx)
Sorry didn't put it well... I know its worth it, but would it maybe be wiser to wait? What I mean is: is the SSD that much of an advantage?
My 'no' was for it not being worth it, but that's purely my biased opinion on Macs. I have a 160GB HDD on my laptop and it's plenty as I store nothing on here. All my movies and music is on my external HDD and my laptop runs much faster because of it. I'd probably go to the SSD if it was on par price wise with the HDD but I don't think it's likely you'll find another one.
z0tx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ritchie888)
My 'no' was for it not being worth it, but that's purely my biased opinion on Macs. I have a 160GB HDD on my laptop and it's plenty as I store nothing on here. All my movies and music is on my external HDD and my laptop runs much faster because of it. I'd probably go to the SSD if it was on par price wise with the HDD but I don't think it's likely you'll find another one.
Ah sorry, I thought the 'lol' meant your 'no' was ironic. Thanks for the advice anyway!
Jez RR
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure about the benefits of SSDs. I know they are a lot quicker on paper, but exactly how noticeable is the benefit compared to the trade off in size? I've got the standard 500Gb HDD in my Macbook and have never had an issue with the speed.

I've also got a 2Tb external HDD, which I would think is essential if you do go for the SSD.
DOAADI
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Worth a read of this article from last month's PC Pro magazine:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/3681...sd-performance

I was planning to upgrade my self-built desktop to boot from SSD, but when I read this I had second thoughts - for now, at any rate.

In theory, SSDs are blisteringly fast - but this article seems to be at odds with any such claims in that respect.
z0tx
Rep:
?
Thank you for the replies. Maybe the best thing to do is to go for the 500Gb and upgrade to a proper Intel SSD later on if the speed really is a bit slow...
Chubbiness
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't waste your money on an overpriced mac, you can build your own computer that could far outperform the mac for the same budget.
It's really not that hard, don't be scared.
Jez RR
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chubbiness)
Don't waste your money on an overpriced mac, you can build your own computer that could far outperform the mac for the same budget.
It's really not that hard, don't be scared.
I've built 6 desktop computers from scratch since 2002, when I expect you were still in primary school. Worked from home as a freelance designer and editor, so this isn't just casual use. Ran many versions of Windows, then Linux Red Hat, Fedora Core, Ubuntu and Mint. Now I use a Mac for preference, because it's better.

What does that tell you? Nothing, probably.
DOAADI
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Now I use a Mac for preference, because it's better.
It tells me something...

Macs aren't better. Such statements as these are only down to personal opinion, and don't take into account what people actually want or need.

For people amongst whom form is more important than function, Macs are often a better choice, for example.

Macs are more reliable (for those who can't even change a fuse).

Macs have all the software you need (if your requirements are limited and your budget not tight).

I don't think having built a PC qualifies someone to make a statement of supposed fact like this.

I've been around for a long time, and this argument has been going off for donkey's years
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads