Juicy Fruit
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have visited both and preferred Bristol as a city and the department too, but Durham is slightly higher in UK league tables (lower in world ones though)... I am going as a mature student at 24 years old to do Chemistry, I have offers from both and literally no idea which one to pick. Please someone help me decide!

If I pick Bristol will my employment prospects be worse than if I was to pick Durham? Because the only thing stopping me from picking Bristol is the perception I have that Durham is more highly regarded and will get me a better job after I graduate...
Piggy's Glasses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Juicy Fruit)
I have visited both and preferred Bristol as a city and the department too, but Durham is slightly higher in UK league tables (lower in world ones though)... I am going as a mature student at 24 years old to do Chemistry, I have offers from both and literally no idea which one to pick. Please someone help me decide!

If I pick Bristol will my employment prospects be worse than if I was to pick Durham? Because the only thing stopping me from picking Bristol is the perception I have that Durham is more highly regarded and will get me a better job after I graduate...
Don't put too much emphasis on league tables when making these decisions.

There really isn't much between Bristol and Durham in terms of academic reputation. If you preferred Bristol then choose that.
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bristol has a truly excellent Chemistry department and very well rated. If you liked Bristol then go for Bristol. By the end of your degree Bristol might be a place higher than Durham, or vice-versa, there's really little in it.
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would go for Bristol in a heart beat.
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 8 years ago
They're both good places for chemistry and the difference between them in reputation is not significant, so go to the one where you'd prefer to spend 3/4 years
LadyRowena
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm massively biased, but Bristol has a really excellent reputation for sciences and has a bigger research budget than Durham (it's Russell Group as opposed to 1994 group) which would probably serve you well for Chemistry.

Also, in terms of the cities Bristol wins hands down. Obviously you shouldn't pick a university based on the nightlife but Bristol is a larger and more vibrant city than Durham which is quieter.
Blaubeuren
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would definitely go for the one you like the most! I got an offer from Bristol and KCL, and at the time KCL was higher in the league tables, but I hated KCL when I went for a visit, and I thought it just wasn't worth spending four years in London when I didn't want to, even though it was slightly better at the time. League tables can be useful, but the best university to go to is the one that's best for you. I also changes one of my uni choices from Birmingham to Durham simply because I thought that Birmingham wasn't good enough, but I ended up getting an offer from Birmingham right after I changed my mind and didn't get one from Durham, so I learned a lesson there!

But definitely just go with the one you feel is the best for you. If you won't be happy at Durham, don't go. Both are excellend universities, and I don't think the league tables will greatly affect any future employment as they are rather similar!
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The majority of graduate employers don't discriminate by university brand name. Amongst those that do it's unlikely any will show a strong personal preference for Durham or Bristol, beyond personal whims (which can go either way). Employers don't sit there with the latest league tables, and they certainly don't obsess over a handful of places. So don't be misled by Durham's slightly higher position in domestic league tables as universities do fluctuate in their position and they mean little anyway. Not in this case when Durham and Bristol are both of a broadly comparable standard and going to one over the other won't give you any significant advantage.

So go for the university and city you prefer. You will be there for (hopefully) at least three or four years. If that's Bristol then chose Bristol.

(Original post by LadyRowena)
I'm massively biased, but Bristol has a really excellent reputation for sciences and has a bigger research budget than Durham (it's Russell Group as opposed to 1994 group) which would probably serve you well for Chemistry.
Although, in chemistry, Bristol possibly does have a higher research income (this isn't necessarily true in other sciences, though) a RG university doesn't necessarily receive more in funding compared to a RG university. Durham receives more research funding that some Russell Group universities, and contains some of the leading and largest chemistry and physics departments in the country. Besides, the amount of money a university receives in research funding is of debateable relevance to the undergrad.

As for Durham being quiet, and Bristol larger and more "vibrant", this is certainly something important to consider. Whilst I think it's often unfairly derided. It's awful for clubbing, there's no denying that, but it does have a decent local music scene and some great pubs, with vibrant college and university socities. But for someone who does want clubbing and a more varied nightlife/social experience then Bristol is the better option.
Juicy Fruit
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for your replies. Is anyone pro-Durham?
AmiiRainbow
Badges: 10
Report 8 years ago
i'd totally say go for durham- for one, it's up north, and the weather tends to be nicer than that of places further south
liaf
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AmiiRainbow)
i'd totally say go for durham- for one, it's up north, and the weather tends to be nicer than that of places further south

That's a joke, right? :K:
AmiiRainbow
Badges: 10
Report 8 years ago
no, as weird as it sounds.
the weather's almost always worse at home (just south of manchester)- and when it's nice, it tends to be really nice in durham, rather than just stuffy and humid, like it tends to be at home.

although, when it snows, it reallllly snows in durham
skotch
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bristol, although I am biased.... :rolleyes:

There's far more to do in Bristol.

Also, don't place too much emphasis on league tables and just go with your thoughts on the cities as the two unis have the same prestige and pretty much the same ranking.
purple-girl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AmiiRainbow)
no, as weird as it sounds.
the weather's almost always worse at home (just south of manchester)- and when it's nice, it tends to be really nice in durham, rather than just stuffy and humid, like it tends to be at home.

although, when it snows, it reallllly snows in durham
Trust me, I'm from south Manchester and go to uni in Durham, the weather up there is worse! It's noticably colder and we had a lot more snow etc than Manchester did last winter I believe from what my parents told me. Over a foot deep in places, ice everywhere...awful. It was so cold the RIVER was freezing over.

Must admit, the summer weather is well worth the wait though . Also it doesn't rain as much as it does in Manchester :P. So I guess in a way I agree, though I believe on the whole Durham weather is worse.

On topic; both universities are brilliant for Chemistry. Half of my degree is in Chemistry and although they set awful exam papers this year, nothing like what was set in previous years, I can't fault the department other than perhaps not giving enough tuition outside lectures after 1st year. But having said that uni IS about independant learning...
lord snow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Durham is the best university after oxbridge. Go there.
Blaubeuren
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks everyone for your replies. Is anyone pro-Durham?
I'm not anti Durham, but I think that mostly, people are trying to steer away from the league tables and show that what you prefer is much more important !
Juicy Fruit
Rep:
?
I have to decide on Tuesday, and I literally can't. I am sure that if I don't pick Durham I will regret the damage it will do to my career prospects, and if I don't pick Bristol I will regret missing out on living in such a great city. I am just not convinced that to an employer, Bristol is considered to be equal to Durham so picking Bristol over Durham just seems like a wasted opportunity. I visited Durham again today and I had a better impression of it than last time as I looked around more, the library facilities looked really good for example, but still it really is tiny and travelling to Newcastle isn't something I will be able to do that often in order to satisfy my need to spend time in a bigger, more interesting city. I guess I just don't know which place would be better for me. I find it so difficult to make even the simplest of decisions, and this one is huge. Am I exaggerating the difference in prestige between them? If Bristol was higher in prestige or equal I would pick it in a heartbeat. But all I hear is that Durham is better or that they're equal which means that having a Durham degree is likely to be more beneficial to me. I even wrote a list of pros and cons, the pros of Bristol are far more numerous than those of Durham for me personally, but I'm still confused as hell. PLEASE HELP :-( ANYONE!
purple-girl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Blaubeuren)
I'm not anti Durham, but I think that mostly, people are trying to steer away from the league tables and show that what you prefer is much more important !
Have to agree with this; if you prefer Bristol as a city and the department then go there, both unis are equally good I'd say, for Chemistry at least.
Blaubeuren
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have to decide on Tuesday, and I literally can't. I am sure that if I don't pick Durham I will regret the damage it will do to my career prospects, and if I don't pick Bristol I will regret missing out on living in such a great city. I am just not convinced that to an employer, Bristol is considered to be equal to Durham so picking Bristol over Durham just seems like a wasted opportunity. I visited Durham again today and I had a better impression of it than last time as I looked around more, the library facilities looked really good for example, but still it really is tiny and travelling to Newcastle isn't something I will be able to do that often in order to satisfy my need to spend time in a bigger, more interesting city. I guess I just don't know which place would be better for me. I find it so difficult to make even the simplest of decisions, and this one is huge. Am I exaggerating the difference in prestige between them? If Bristol was higher in prestige or equal I would pick it in a heartbeat. But all I hear is that Durham is better or that they're equal which means that having a Durham degree is likely to be more beneficial to me. I even wrote a list of pros and cons, the pros of Bristol are far more numerous than those of Durham for me personally, but I'm still confused as hell. PLEASE HELP :-( ANYONE!
Prestige isn't, in most cases, the most important factor. It does sound like you prefer Bristol from what I've read, but only you can decide I'm afraid! I think someone has already mentioned that in a few years the rankings may completely change. I think Durham can seem more prestigeous because of the collegiate system and ancient buildings, and it is a wonderful uni, but I really would advise going with the one you like the most! When you're at a job interview, and they decide they really like you, it's very unlikely they'll say 'Ah, hang on, this one didn't go to Durham!'

I do completely understand where you're coming from, but really, between these two, wherever you're likely to be happiest will be best!
Juicy Fruit
Rep:
?
I picked Bristol

Thanks for all of your advice guys, was invaluable!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (93)
24.35%
No (289)
75.65%

Watched Threads