The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

What's the requirement for a first?

Hey guys,

I'm doing L100 Economics at Warwick, just done my second year. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the requirement for a first was?

Everyone seems to think that it's simply 70%, but I've read that at some other unis, you can get a high 2:1 overall and majority firsts in modules to get that first.

Can anyone link me to any sources of info, etc? Cheers!
Reply 1
For my course at university its 70% first. Although different courses can have different classification. And about the majority modules, well for me the best 6 modules are given higher weighing than the rest.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by HRH2
For my course at university its 70% first. Although different courses can have different classification. And about the majority modules, well for me the best 6 modules are given higher weighing than the rest.

Wait, so it's true that at least at some unis they weight the best modules higher than the worst? Anyone know if this is the case at Warwick?
Reply 3
I read it for maths degree not very long back and I think it applies for economics too.

For 3 years total percentage=[10Y1 + 30Y2 + 60Y3] /100

For 4 years total percentage=[10Y1 + 20Y2 + 30Y3 + 40Y4] /100

So Y1= first year Y2 second year etc...

First class is 70% or above over all..
Upper second 60%-69% etc...
Original post by An Original Username
Wait, so it's true that at least at some unis they weight the best modules higher than the worst? Anyone know if this is the case at Warwick?

LSE for example have 4 'full' modules per year. In the first year, these four modules are aggregated into one. The remaining two years each have four modules. So there's 9 modules in total.

If you get 5 first class marks, and pass all your remaining modules, then you get a first. If you get 4 first class marks and a score of '590' or more (and pass the rest), then you get a first.

As for Warwick, it can depend on the course:
Check section 8 of the University Regulations but more importantly this

In short, they take the absolute carry forward percentage, and if you are between 68-71% you are borderline and are considered to be moved up/down a class.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheTallOne
LSE for example have 4 'full' modules per year. In the first year, these four modules are aggregated into one. The remaining two years each have four modules. So there's 9 modules in total.

If you get 5 first class marks, and pass all your remaining modules, then you get a first. If you get 4 first class marks and a score of '590' or more (and pass the rest), then you get a first.

As for Warwick, it can depend on the course:
Check section 8 of the University Regulations but more importantly this

In short, they take the absolute carry forward percentage, and if you are between 68-71% you are borderline and are considered to be moved up/down a class.

Great info, cheers. Had no idea where to find that.

Looks like my course classifies simply based on 50% weighting second year, 50% third year, and that little bit of leeway at the boundary. Which sucks.

The reason I ask all this is due to my low 2:1 that I just got which was entirely up to massive procrastination on my part, since I should be capable of the solid firsts I got last year. So I wanted to know whether aiming for a first next year was even possible.

Correction - whether aiming for a first overall was possible, which would mean me getting a little under 80% average next year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
I know that in Economics Dept, in previous years if you for example got four 2.1s and two 2.2s and your average was 58%+ you got 2.1. But since then they have changed it I think.
Original post by abrp
I know that in Economics Dept, in previous years if you for example got four 2.1s and two 2.2s and your average was 58%+ you got 2.1. But since then they have changed it I think.

Do you know if that same rule applied for firsts? And also, I did 5 modules this year (3 full, 2 half modules), and I will be doing 7 next year (1 full, 6 half modules). Where did the 6 modules you mention come from? In total, I do 8 full modules' worth of marks.
Do you know if that same rule applied for firsts? And also, I did 5 modules this year (3 full, 2 half modules), and I will be doing 7 next year (1 full, 6 half modules). Where did the 6 modules you mention come from? In total, I do 8 full modules' worth of marks.

Original post by abrp

That's the regulation for students graduating from summer 2011 or earlier.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/quality/categories/examinations/markscalesconventions/forstudents/ug0107/

See download link on right side of that page.
Original post by TheTallOne
That's the regulation for students graduating from summer 2011 or earlier.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/quality/categories/examinations/markscalesconventions/forstudents/ug0107/

See download link on right side of that page.

Cheers. So it's pretty much over 71% is a first and 68%-71% may or may not be depending on their decision.
Cheers. So it's pretty much over 71% is a first and 68%-71% may or may not be depending on their decision.

Yep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending