The Student Room Group

After how many lessons did you drive on the road?

So I've pretty much just started driving (had 2 lessons, a 1 hour one then a 2 hour one) and I'm just curious to know after how many hours of lessons did you drive on the road?

Edit: By on the road I mean as in driving with traffic flow etc, not just driving down a quiet road with no cars. In my first lesson I went in a straight line down my street, in my second I drove around a car park.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I also want to know this. Can't believe I'm 23 and can't drive. :colondollar:

I want to start learning soon and be able to drive in a year.
I thought most people didn't drive anywhere else. Driving instructors start you off on very quiet roads and move you into traffic as you improve but I don't know any who start you off elsewhere unless there are special considerations.
Reply 3
I was driving on the road in my first lesson, just basic stopping and starting, learning how to pull away properly. A couple of lessons later I was driving on the road properly, left turns etc.
All driving lessons are in space no?
Reply 5
0, I drove on the roads before I had any lessons, then was on the road on my first lesson aswell :smile: Your instructor should check how confident you are when you start and wont take you on the road before you are ready.
I spent...six years learning to drive. I drove really really well, too, although couldn't find my way anywhere for toffee.

Took my theory twice (100% both times, but the first expired). Took my practical four times. Failed every go on one serious although no dangerous and not many driving faults. This was because the moment the test started I suddenly forgot even the most basic rules of driving and unconsciously self-sabotaged until I knew I'd failed...at which point I drove fine. Sigh.

I gave up.

I'm autistic, so have issues with practical coordination and navigation, and I'm putting it down to that although it may just be I'm a crappy driver. >.>. I swear I've never done anything (including flying abroad alone for the first time) as frightening as a driving test in my life before and I pray I never have to again.

Buses for me from now on...

In answer to the question, though, I think I'd had ten or twelve lessons before my instructor took me out of the industrial estate and out on the actual road...though inside the industrial estate there was still traffic and roads. That would imply from lesson 1.

I've driven with my parents as well, and quite a lot...but it's up to your instructor when they think you can handle going out on a proper busy road.
Erm Where else can you drive...hopefully he's not teaching you on the pavements.

If you means like moving on the road then first lesson.

If you mean on like busy roads then after like 3 lessons.
Reply 8
As others have said, 0, I was on the road in my first lesson.
Reply 9
First lesson! I was on the A roads too, I was scared stiff.
Reply 10
1st lesson - driving around a quiet residential area in a 30 mph zone.
2nd lesson - driving around a much busier residential area but still 30 mph zone.
3rd lesson - out onto national speed limit roads, roundabouts and very busy areas. Actually drove into the centre of town.
Reply 11
Original post by zigzog7
0, I drove on the roads before I had any lessons, then was on the road on my first lesson aswell :smile: Your instructor should check how confident you are when you start and wont take you on the road before you are ready.

This - my dad taught me to drive, and I only used the instructor to learn how to fake the stupid **** you have to do to pass your test.
Was driving around on roads with normal amounts of traffic and the likes on my second lesson (all my lessons were 2 hours).
Reply 13
I was on the road in my first lesson :s-smilie: First half hour on a quiet industrial estate then the rest out on the road! Drove myself home, roundabouts/ national speed limits and everything!
Original post by py0alb
This - my dad taught me to drive, and I only used the instructor to learn how to fake the stupid **** you have to do to pass your test.

lol thats so true - since passing its such a relief that i dont have to check every mirror when i do pretty much anything in a car :biggrin:

i've never understood this, basically, when you are parked say an inch from the curb, why do they make you check the left mirror and blind spot when moving off? what does that achieve since theres no way that anyone could suffer from a car moving off at say 5 mph when the vehicle is to their right?

also, when i passed, the examiner gave me a really long de brief 'for my own safety' saying she wanted me to be safe on the roads :biggrin: does she actually think i'm listening to her when i'm jumping around in exitement at passing? i thought you could decline a de brief anyway which is what i would have done if given the opportunity :colondollar:

EDIT: to answer OP's question i went out on roads with a decent volume of traffic on my 2nd or 3rd lesson, so about 3 hours, i was quite a nervous driver at the start so i was really bricking it too :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Like two , He was gonna let me drive home on my first lesson , but i was like NO WAY , dual carriageways and everything :frown:
I did about five or six lessons (10 hours) before I was confident to drive anywhere; roundabouts, traffic flow, stopping on hills etc.

I was practising on quiet roads all the time though. (:
2nd lesson, was just a couple roads back to my house. Asked me if i wanted to do that on my first lesson and i said no :lol:
Reply 18
My instructor drove me about 7-8 miles from my house then parked up in a side road. He showed me what everything does, told me to get from gears 1-3 on the side road (which I did) and then asked me to drive home. It definitely worked.
Reply 19
I was driving on the road on my first lesson, I took to it fairly quickly. We started driving round a quiet suburb, then after 20 or so minutes we went on the main road, did roundabouts etc.

Second lesson (an hour per lesson) I was on the dual carrageways and doing the maneuvers.

It does vary from person to person though, one of my friends took 60 hours of lessons before she sat her test!

Latest

Trending

Trending